Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Rescale RAW files?

PhilDrinkwater
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Rescale RAW files?

Does anyone know whether there are any tools to reduce the size of RAW files from, say, 22 to 13MP and keep the file in the original format (not JPEG)? I have CR2 files from Canon and could convert to DNG if necessary if that would make it possible.

** I don't want to use sRAW at capture time **

I know officially it wouldn't be the same RAW any more, but that might well be fine in this case.

I'm guessing the answer is "no", but you never know what's out there!

P.S JPEG or any other "post produced" format wouldn't do what I need...

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:27 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Rescale RAW files?

Is this a storage issue Phil? These little USB powered hard drives are so big now you can almost use them like pendrives - just fill them up once and archive them. I got two Toshiba 1TB drives for under a hundred quid total last week.

AFAIK there isn't a way of doing this to the RAW files unless the newer DNG converters have a quality setting.

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:05 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #3 · Rescale RAW files?

It's not - it's an transmission issue. I've got plenty of disk space

After a bit of research it seems that DNG does offer some kind of size reduction option, but the LR conversion forces you to lossy compress the DNG if you're going to resize. Why? The two things are completely independent...

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:23 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Rescale RAW files?

Transmission?

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:28 AM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #5 · Rescale RAW files?

I don't know of any software to do that, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:35 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #6 · Rescale RAW files?

dhphoto wrote:
Transmission?

Sending them elsewhere

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:57 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Rescale RAW files?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Sending them elsewhere

Well I just tried a few files and zipping them doesn't help. Perhaps a more complex compression utility, RAR maybe?

No something I know much about.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:09 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #8 · Rescale RAW files?

Theoretically...I would have thought not.

The raw file exists as a direct translation of the data from the sensor. You are looking for something that can modify that translation. Whereas it might be possible for a camera manufacturer to do a translation of a translation (so to speak) it would be hard to imaging a generic programe being able to do it.

I have downloaded many test images in raw format but each has been the original file size. Even ZIP folders have not had compressed raw files in them.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:45 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Rescale RAW files?

You can't send your RAW files via Dropbox or You Send It?

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:48 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #10 · Rescale RAW files?

Indeed I can. But I'm sending A LOT.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Rescale RAW files?

Nothing I know of. In fact, I can't think of any software that modifies raw files other than the DNG converter and even that is limited.

I think you are in a situation where you need to sacrifice something.
- Use other transmission method (maybe even resorting to a thumb drive sent physically)
- Keep resolution but convert to Jpeg.
- Keep 16 bits but convert to compressed TIF with lower resolution (may be tough to get smaller than original raw though)

A raw file is already pretty efficiently compressed to begin with.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:55 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Rescale RAW files?

Put the files on a pen drive and stick it in the post - still the fastest way to send large amounts of data....

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:59 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #13 · Rescale RAW files?

Thanks.

Having done a bit more research it does seem there may be one or two utilities which will rescale a DNG, but I don't know how well they'll do. I'll test that later.

For my particular application, I would send the (much smaller) files off and get a LR catalog back. The smaller DNG files would be fine for LR adjustments and then I could use the larger ones back at mine for processing.

That would be ideal, but currently I don't know if that's possible...

I'll keep looking..

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:02 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #14 · Rescale RAW files?

15Bit wrote:
Put the files on a pen drive and stick it in the post - still the fastest way to send large amounts of data....

It's difficult. This might happen 30 times a year.

I reckon the upload would take about a day and a half to two days currently. That's still likely to be faster than sending in the post as they're going out of the country.

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:04 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Rescale RAW files?

15Bit wrote:

I was going to say on DVD's but

+1

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:22 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Rescale RAW files?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:

I reckon the upload would take about a day and a half to two days currently. That's still likely to be faster than sending in the post as they're going out of the country.

Do you have the option to upgrade your broadband? Residential connections tend to be highly asymmetric, with slow upload rates. An upgrade to a business connection could give you much better upload speeds.

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:04 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Rescale RAW files?

Phil,

I was thinking about this a little more and did some quick checking on some things.

It sounds like you are outsourcing your editing or doing something like that.

The latest DNG spec actually makes references to "Proxy DNGs" with the implication that someone could edit the lossy-compressed (and possibly resolution-reduced) versions of the file and then those edits could be applied later to the full raws.

Creating the proxies is pretty straight-forward using the Lightroom Export dialog, with the lossy compression reducing the raw file size by about a third and with resolution reduction reducing file size even more.

What I have not been able to find, however, is the process for getting the edit parameters associated back to the original raw. You might want to ask this question on the Adobe Lightroom forum and see if someone there could help you.

If I was going to do some experimenting on my own, I would create side-car XMP files from the edited proxies and see if I could get those to associate with the original raw files. If something like that works, it could mean that the trip back from your editors could be even smaller since they could just send the parametric adjustments without the actual image.

There are probably limitations to this process, particularly when extreme highlight and shadow recovery is involved or when making fine healing edits but it would probably work pretty well for general edits and white balance.

Good luck. Please let us know if you find a workable solution.

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:05 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Rescale RAW files?

CR2 files are basically compressed tiff files with some additional information added.

You can convert it to Tiff and use a lossy compression (Sraw is lossy compression)

You can also convert to lossy DNG which makes much smaller files.

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Rescale RAW files?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:

Phil how many are you transfering at a time ? how good is your Broadband? also with broadband (at least in this country) there is a huge difference in upload speeds of what can seem very similar packages . so having a service with the fastest upload will really help .

i must say that I like my raw files and use lightroom all the time . i NEVER shoot smaller raw format (although i do use normal jpegs from the camera more often now) as i figure that as i have an 18mp camera im dam well going to use it at 18mp . for me i figure shooting in a smaller raw format may always leave me in the 'what if' stage of maybe needing the full raw file.
but i do think its a shame that DPP can generate a SRAW or MRAW from a raw file. if the bloody camera can do it then why can canon's own software?

as for services ive used for uploading RAW files.
I've found that Microsof's skydrive to be pretty decent. but then I managed to nab a bunch of skydrive accounts before they reduced the size to 7gb (still bigger than most) , so i can upload 25gb of RAW files to each of them

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:14 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #20 · Rescale RAW files?

15Bit wrote:
Do you have the option to upgrade your broadband? Residential connections tend to be highly asymmetric, with slow upload rates. An upgrade to a business connection could give you much better upload speeds.

Sadly not I already checked..

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password