Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

D. Diggler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

Any thoughts about this lens from those who've used it for wedding work?

Apr 02, 2013 at 07:15 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

FWIW I used a Tamron 17-50 when I had an APS-C cam and it was a pile of cr*p build wise. Fell apart. For that reason I'm always very reluctant to recommend a Tamron "SP" to anyone, let a lone a fellow wedding photographer.

On FF I have a Sigma 24-70 (latest gen) as backup and find the performance to be very good.

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:31 AM
beatus80

p.1 #3 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

I loved Tamron's 28-75mm and I bought 24-70 vc as soon as it was available in NZ.
It is now my main lens for weddings. Quality isn't all that bad and speed is much better compared to 28-75 and having VC is big plus although it's not necessary.
After reading ricardovaste's comment, there maybe some issue with it's quality control. Maybe you should try out before deciding?

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:29 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

Nope.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:00 PM
msack
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

I just purchased the lens and after one use for an e-session I'm truly impressed. I had it on my 5dIII and the VC definitely allowed shooting at 1/20 and 1/30 of a second with totally acceptable images. Focus was snappy and accurate. It's heavy, but so is the Canon 24-70. I've never been a big fan of my Canon 24-70 and it's sharpness, so so far the Tamron has impressed me.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:50 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

I have a Tamron 28-70 (my only zoom) which is meant to be a back-up lens, I use it from time to time after the cake cutting until the dance when I go back to primes, not bad but I wouldnt use it for anything else, it doesnt have a solid feel when you hold it compared to other third party zooms of that range.

Not a clue about the new 24-70 so.

Jaime

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:02 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

beatus80 wrote:
After reading ricardovaste's comment, there maybe some issue with it's quality control...

This is always funny to me; QC issue because of *a* comment. Even if there were 10 comments saying the same thing doesn't mean a QC issue....could easily be those who are not happy complain the loudest.

There is a thread from a couple of months ago about the lens. Overall the reviews were pretty good about every aspect of the lens.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:33 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

FWIW there are youtube videos on how to repair the 17-50, and I've read many other reports of the "wobbly front end" and such. So I agree not to judge by one opinion, but my comments relate to a wide-spread issue, although of another lens. But I've seen enough from the Tamron "SP" stuff to see that, although the glass is often very good, the build quality (over long term) just really isn't up to regular use. Make your own opinions of course! But I'd be cautious, I just wouldn't want a fellow professional to have their stuff fail/fall apart is all (my intentions are good & honest)

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:38 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

Maybe so Ricardo but that's still extremely limiting.

Consider these reviews right here on FM: Reviews. To date, those are pretty positive (8.9 out of 10 with 17 reviews). I still consider this list very short in terms of the number of overall reviews but it's surely more than the a couple in one thread.

The build quality compared to some tank-like lenses isn't the best but I have to ask what are these people doing with their gear? Then you have the other side of the quality in a hefty lens and people will complain 'it's to heavy'. In the end it depends on a number of good and bad reviews for the OP to determine what works.

OP, a search on this site will reveal there are a number of "Anyone used TAmron 24-70 VC" question that you ask.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

From the replies in this thread, the two people who have used the lens in question like it. Those are the only ones that matter IMO...

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:11 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #11 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

One thing to consider is even if your Tamron lens does break you will most likely get it back fixed faster than any other brand due to Tamron's 3-day repair turnaround policy.

I've heard almost all great things about this lens though and I've seen some nice photos taken with it. I think I would give it a go if I were to buy a 24-70 right now.

brad

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:59 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

maxwell1295 wrote:
From the replies in this thread, the two people who have used the lens in question like it. Those are the only ones that matter IMO...

Yes, dismiss the rest of the world

Apr 02, 2013 at 07:20 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

msack wrote:
the VC definitely allowed shooting at 1/20 and 1/30 of a second with totally acceptable images

From the few user reviews I've seen, the image stabilization is supposed to be impressive in its effectiveness.

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:10 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

Well hey, buy it. I hope it goes well for you, really. Come back in 5 years and tell us more.

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:17 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

DigMeTX wrote:
Tamron's 3-day repair turnaround policy.

Three days?!? I hadn't heard of that policy.

I was really surprised to see Tamron offers a 6-year warranty! That's the longest lens warranty I know of. Canon is only 1 year on their lenses.

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:49 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #16 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

Yes. 3 days and they do stick to it.

brad

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:27 PM
devaulrg
• •
p.1 #17 · Anyone used Tamron 24-70 VC?

I rented it for a week, thought it was pretty impressive. I don't have any experience w/ the Canon alternatives though.

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:50 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password