Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

Todd wrote:
I have the D800 and the D800E, The live view feature is top notch! Thanks Nikon! Now I can better focus my lenses on the faint stars with much better ease before taking astrophotos. So far I am very happy with the results. Can't wait to get out and really shoot something....

You guys/gals keep posting about your comparisons and your findings.

Todd

Sigh, several others on dpreview have reported the same but I see no difference on my body with 1.01. Can you try a cereal box from around 8 feet away like depicted here and tell me if your LV preview at 100% magnification is better? Thanks!

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Todd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

snapsy wrote:
Sigh, several others on dpreview have reported the same but I see no difference on my body with 1.01. Can you try a cereal box from around 8 feet away like depicted here and tell me if your LV preview at 100% magnification is better? Thanks!

I may have reacted too quickly or saw the comparison of the live view, Not sure. However I thought the image comparison of the live view was a before and after, but since I only use live view for astrophotography, I don't know how to really compare, I'll have to wait for a clear night and see I guess.

T

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Todd
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

ShutteredMe wrote:
I just realized that I just got done fine tuning my D4, D800e, and D7100 will all my lens and TCs... Now I have to do them all over again...

No Need. The values for the AF fine tune stay in the camera. The update does not erase that info.

Apr 04, 2013 at 03:34 AM
mtakako

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

Wow.. just updated to the lastest firmware on my D800. The AF is night and day better than the old one even in normal mode and the live view has greatly improved. Sweet update.

Apr 04, 2013 at 04:45 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

Better LV on my 800e (not as good as the 5D III, but definitely better than before). Thanks Nikon

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:37 AM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

Todd wrote:
No Need. The values for the AF fine tune stay in the camera. The update does not erase that info.

Yes, I found this to be the case with a couple of lens I've played with so far.

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:28 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

So to summarize: the rendition on the LCD preview loses the green tint, the JPEGs look better (RAW unchanged?) and AF is better on the D800 ? ? ?

Interesting that there are seperate D800 D800e firmware-implies a certain sophistication.

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:30 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

Hmmm . . . . I checked the live view appearance right before and right after the update and I noticed no difference in how it appeared. Have not used the AF a lot after the update so I have no idea if it's better or not - hopefully it is.

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:34 PM
mtakako

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

Forget to check if the new firmware fix the issue with SB900 and AF assist on the d800. Anyone tested that out?

Apr 04, 2013 at 06:28 PM
Todd
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

mtakako wrote:
Forget to check if the new firmware fix the issue with SB900 and AF assist on the d800. Anyone tested that out?

Not yet, good point! I hope it is....

T

Apr 04, 2013 at 06:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

james.d53
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

jhinkey wrote:
Hmmm . . . . I checked the live view appearance right before and right after the update and I noticed no difference in how it appeared. Have not used the AF a lot after the update so I have no idea if it's better or not - hopefully it is.

I did too and saw a significant difference. The shutter speed is no longer affecting the image.

Apr 05, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Defy
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

w00t! Looks like it fixed my TC issues! My 1.7 and 2x would not work with my 300mm AF-S f/4 it kept freaking out and showing 6.7 or 8 and then flashing a triangle. But now it works after the update! And the AF is pretty snappy even at F/8 in a low-lit room.

Apr 05, 2013 at 01:43 AM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

Obviously people are getting different results because, just like lenses and camera bodies, there are good copies...and then there are not so good copies. I must have gotten a good software download copy and that is why my 800e LV looks improved. That's my story....and I'm sticking with it

Apr 05, 2013 at 01:49 AM
SAng
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

DocsPics wrote:
Obviously people are getting different results because, just like lenses and camera bodies, there are good copies...and then there are not so good copies. I must have gotten a good software download copy and that is why my 800e LV looks improved. That's my story....and I'm sticking with it

Yup, quite a bit of copy variation from what I've read.

I'm hoping my copy of the D4 upgrade doesn't 'fix' the green tinge because I never had that problem to begin with.

Apr 05, 2013 at 02:54 AM
mtakako

p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

Checked last night and the problem is still there. No fix yet from nikon regarding the AF assist on SB900.

Todd wrote:
Not yet, good point! I hope it is....

T

Apr 05, 2013 at 02:43 PM
hans98ko
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

My personal observation are:
1) the AF-C tracking in 3-D mode is a lot faster than before, especially in DX mode where the focusing points fill the display area. Confirmed this shooting my son's flying.
2) my unit has a very slight green tint which does not affect picture taking because green was never taken into consideration for WB, only red and blue does.
If one works with any LCD manufacturer will know that every batch of LCDs will be slightly different due to the panels, liquid crystals, filter films and backlights that goes on it. It is the tolerance that is set between Nikon and its suppliers that we are seeing. After comparing the GretagMacbeth Color Chart between my camera and a calibrated computer screen, the new firmware did not correct or do anything to improve on the green tint. As I said it is not obvious and critical for my unit.
3) review through the LCD looks a lot better after the update due to new algorithm use to interpolate the 7,360 x 4,192 image pixel to the 3.2" 921k display. Yes it looks a lot sharper especially when viewing shadow area at high ISO setting where the noise used to be really bad due to poor interpolation causing it to look like a whole big patch of noise rather than just individual pixel of noise.
4) using LV to focus is a lot easily and faster because it now looks sharper on the display.

As for the rest of the improvements, I have not done any test on it or does not have the accessories to do it.

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:34 AM
Lincoln Harrison

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

Anyone know how to get rid of the red tinge on the lcd?

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:28 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

Hmmm.... and all I really wanted was for Nikon to add on the D600 the option for the Center Button (OK) to zoom the playback LCD to 100% like it does on the D800 and the D7100. No go...

Jim

Edited on Apr 07, 2013 at 06:10 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:49 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

My observation is that my D4 is significantly sharper than before and AF seems to be more accurate too.

I was very skeptical of Nikon's claim but whatever they've done has made a vast and noticeable difference when both using the LCD and when viewing the pics sooc on the computer screen. As far as 'more 3 dimensional' goes that's open to interpretation but the images are considerably sharper and crisper. With portraits the subjects eyes looks like glass marbles and the detail and crispness of the iris and eyelashes is superb.

Top marks Nikon. A stunning update I have to say.

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:27 AM
Todd
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Nikon issues new firmware for D600, D800 & D4 DSLRs

JimFox wrote:
Hmmm.... and all I really wanted was for Nikon to add the option for the Center Button (OK) to have the option to zoom the playback LCD to 100% like on the D800 and the D7100. No go...

Jim

Jim I use my center button for a 100% zoom all the time on my D800. It does not work as an "ok" button, but it zooms. That option was there before the upgrade. It is found under controls in the pencil icon menu. If you still can't locate it, let me know. Look on page 309 & 310 of the owners manual of the D800. There you will find how to st the center button for magnification. Medium Magnification represents a 100% image review.

Todd

Apr 06, 2013 at 08:35 AM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password