FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My first outing with the Tilt Shift- Montana

PeakPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My first outing with the Tilt Shift- Montana

Well I recently bought the Canon 24mm TS-E over in the used forums, so I thought it was time to pop the tilt shift cherry. So I called up a buddy of mine and spend the day driving all over my area. Obviously these won't be the best TS shots you've seen, but it was a fun day of learning the different features.

The last shot is actually the next day. And is a 3 shot horizontal shift to create a vertical. It's also a 3 shot exposure for each shift, and lastly did a couple degree tilt up to get the focus mainly on the field. Processed with Nik HDR, then manually blended in PS6, then lastly thrown into Lightroom. More of an experiment than anything, but I liked the result. And I know it's not a landscape, but I wanted to throw this in with my landscape shots just because it falls into the same tilt-shift experimentation.

Cheers!

Andy

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:34 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My first outing with the Tilt Shift- Montana

Hey Andy,

It looks like you had fun. I really like #1 and 2. How hard did you find it to use the TSE? I am really thinking on getting one and I have heard there is a bit of a learning curve involved with it.

Jim

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:45 PM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My first outing with the Tilt Shift- Montana

JimFox wrote:
Hey Andy,

It looks like you had fun. I really like #1 and 2. How hard did you find it to use the TSE? I am really thinking on getting one and I have heard there is a bit of a learning curve involved with it.

Jim

It was surprisingly easy. I read this ebook and that helped a lot.

The shift was extremely easy to pick up, both for using in distortion correction and the panorama. I'm not perfect with it yet, but for my first day it went fairly smooth.

The tilt will take a little more to master, but it's fun just to mess around with for the time being.

Andy

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:51 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My first outing with the Tilt Shift- Montana

Nice series, Andy. Your photos all look familiar since I was in that area last year. Bobcat Stadium (not sure of real name) in Bozeman, and the grain elevator looks like one I saw north of Big Timber. We had fun in that area, especially around Bozeman.

Apr 02, 2013 at 05:47 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My first outing with the Tilt Shift- Montana

Very nice series! T&S is addicting

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:38 AM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My first outing with the Tilt Shift- Montana

stanparker wrote:
Nice series, Andy. Your photos all look familiar since I was in that area last year. Bobcat Stadium (not sure of real name) in Bozeman, and the grain elevator looks like one I saw north of Big Timber. We had fun in that area, especially around Bozeman.

I love it in this area. I play football for MSU so I love shooting in Bobcat Stadium as well (and it actually is called Bobcat Stadium- creative I know). The grain elevator may be the one you saw, it's located in a little town called Wilsall. But these old grain elevators are all over the state and I love em. Now with the new tilt shift I can capture them in all of their glory!

Sunny Sra wrote:
Very nice series! T&S is addicting

Oh I'm finding this out! I love it, can't wait to take it out night shooting.

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:58 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My first outing with the Tilt Shift- Montana

Nice images Andy. I'll have to try a TS one of these days. It gets a little tiring losing so much detail correcting for distortion on a wide angle... and the extra sharpness would also be nice.

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:51 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.