Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

Mine should be coming next week, I hope.

I shall be doing the ultimate comparative shoot shortly upon the lens receipt: Canon 800L vs. Nikkor 800 VR. Stay tuned for the test report.

(Fine print: a minor contribution will be required of the report requestors. I have a family I need to support, you know.)

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:43 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

The last time I checked, your initials are PK and not KR .....

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:08 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

Seriously? April fools?

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:09 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

PetKal wrote:
Mine should be coming next week, I hope.

I shall be doing the ultimate comparative shoot shortly upon the lens receipt: Canon 800L vs. Nikkor 800 VR. Stay tuned for the test report.

(Fine print: a minor contribution will be required of the report requestors. I have a family I need to support, you know.)

Peter, Linda has a rather old 4 section aluminium monopod with mini-ballhead, it supported her OM-1 back in her days in the Swiss Alps, it's yours if you think it might help; it is missing it's tan rubberized foot tho

Seriously, what body are you pairing that beast of a lens with?

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Cicopo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

Obviously he'll want to be very scientific in his comparison so he'll simply use an adapter & use the 1Dx and since the mosquitos will be upon us soon he'll use them to shoot MIF.

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

I did!
I'm planning on using it with my new Nikon D4 and D800e.
All my Canon gear is currently for sale in the buy and sell board...Grab it while it lasts!
Fred

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:48 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I did!
I'm planning on using it with my new Nikon D4 and D800e.
All my Canon gear is currently for sale in the buy and sell board...Grab it while it lasts!
Fred

Good show, Fred, so you and I will be able to compare notes on 800VR. However, you may have to rent 800L from Lensrental place in order to do a comparative Canon-Nikkor shoot.....because that's where some real website hits will happen.

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:55 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

Not I. I have no use for the Canon or Nikkor 800 mm lenses.

EBH

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

As of of the testers I am bound by the NDA I signed and I am not allowed to talk of it's existance, but between us if you look real close mine was painted white with a red ring and I was using it on a 1Dx they wanted someone from the Alt crowd to test it in MF mode on a Canon.

I did shoot it on the D800E but the NDA requires me to destroy all images shot with it.

I think I have said too much.

I think I made a mistake since both 800s I was testing were painted white I think I sent back the 800EF MKII I was testing instead of the VR. Ooops

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:11 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

burningheart wrote:
As of of the testers I am bound by the NDA I signed and I am not allowed to talk of it's existance, but between us if you look real close mine was painted white with a red ring and I was using it on a 1Dx they wanted someone from the Alt crowd to test it in MF mode on a Canon.

I did shoot it on the D800E but the NDA requires me to destroy all images shot with it.

I think I have said too much.

I think I made a mistake since both 800s I
...Show more

OK, now I see that you have caused the "unexpected delays" Canon Canada spoke to me about. They have promised they would let me have a preproduction EF 800mm f/5.6L IS II USM for a few days, but then they are saying now that unexpected delays with its delivery have taken place.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:23 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

Please don't waste your time. The 800L is such an antiquated lens. I would only bother comparing against the 600II with 1.4III TC (i.e. the real man's 800L) and the 200-400L with 2.0III TC. If you can't manage that then don't bother
Happy April 1st.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:26 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

PetKal wrote:
Good show, Fred, so you and I will be able to compare notes on 800VR. However, you may have to rent 800L from Lensrental place in order to do a comparative Canon-Nikkor shoot.....because that's where some real website hits will happen.

No reason to rent the older model. I have the Canon 800 II in my hands............and it's LIGHT!

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:28 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

Geoff,you may kid all you want, but I'll tell you that 800L is a stern taskmaster, not easy to use handheld or otherwise. But in real man's hands that lens sings.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:33 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

Fred Miranda wrote:
No reason to rent the older model. I have the Canon 800 II in my hands............and it's LIGHT!

OK, now the plot is thickening.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:34 AM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

Cicopo wrote:
Obviously he'll want to be very scientific in his comparison so he'll simply use an adapter & use the 1Dx and since the mosquitos will be upon us soon he'll use them to shoot MIF.

I heard Canon has a patent on an 800mm DO 1:1 macro, perfect for insects you want to keep beyond arm's length.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:35 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Who else has preordered Nikkor 800VR ?

That of course was a Fool's day joke, I am ordering no stinkin' Nikkor 800VR.

It is unlikely in the extreme that 800VR will offer a significant improvement w.r.t. 800L, although some minor IQ and AF responsiveness advantages are possible.
When it comes to weight and MFD, we already know that the Nikkor is no better.
These days a used 800L with minor blemishes can be bought for $9,000 and some change. Who in their right mind would pay twice as much for a new 800VR ?

Even if Nikkor 800VR turns out to be a somewhat sharper or better focusing lens than 800L, at some point in not too distant future Canon may release 800L MkII which would cream the Nikkor regarding weight as well as performance.
At least, that's the way I see things.

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password