Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anyone in the UK have an experience with Einstein's?

andrew00

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Anyone in the UK have an experience with Einstein's?

Hey,

I'm weighing up a location gear purchase, was looking at either the Profoto AcuteB2 kit or building an Einstein+Vagabond Mini setup. Will be used typically with a BD.

The Einstein is cheaper, though not massively due to exchange rates, but as I'm in the UK I'm concerned about the reliability/customer service/repairs etc should that be needed.

I was wondering if anyone in the UK has bought Einsteins and could share their experience with them?

I'm currently leaning towards the Profoto gear for the usual reasons, reliability, ability to rent/learn the system etc.

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Anyone in the UK have an experience with Einstein's?

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago and went profoto. I have dealt with PCB EU and if you call it goes to answerphone also asked them about a product on the US site and they didn't even know about it - they are just a small distributor if you need anything done you'll have to send the gear back to the US I believe.

Other than service/rental a big deal for me was the recycle time at full power which with the profoto is 2sec @ full power while einstein on the Vagabond Mini is 3.6s - far too slow for fashion.

I use the profoto acuteB2 for all my location work usually with a BD, if you want any info on it in use ask away.

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:03 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #3 · Anyone in the UK have an experience with Einstein's?

Mark_L wrote:
if you need anything done you'll have to send the gear back to the US I believe.

Other than service/rental a big deal for me was the recycle time at full power which with the profoto is 2sec @ full power while einstein on the Vagabond Mini is 3.6s - far too slow for fashion.

FYI, no, you don't have to send the gear back to the US.
That was a major requirement of the distributor IIRC. They have to have enough stock on hand to do a swap. Then a box of the broken ones are sent back to the US for repair instead of one at a time.
That's a huge part of their overhead...they have to stock spares, and have space to store them, etc.

Recycle time on the VML is because of the smaller inverter...if you get portable battery pack w/ a bigger inverter or get a Honda EU2000i, you'll get closer to the 1.7sec recycle time on full power...e.g., w/ Dynalite's XP1100:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11314-11226

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:58 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #4 · Anyone in the UK have an experience with Einstein's?

Profoto every day of the week, given you can afford it. Can't see the point in buying anything PCB if you're outside the US.

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:37 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password