Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trees

savingspaces
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trees

We went to Silver falls yesterday for a much needed walk late afternoon.

Olympus EPL-1 with Panasonic 7-14 mm

_3312066.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

Edited on Apr 02, 2013 at 06:49 AM · View previous versions

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:41 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trees

This is a very nice looking up tree shot, way to go. My only thing with this is the clouds being blown out. I would blend in some none blown out clouds there.

Jim

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:30 AM
savingspaces
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trees

Any better? I appreciate your C&C

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:49 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trees

The Clouds in the middle of the shot are still white with no detail. Are they blown out on your original? I can see where you recovered some, but the bulk of the clouds are blown out white.

This is not an easy shot to shoot or to process for exactly this reason, the sky tends to be several stops brighter than the majority of the trees which are usually in shadow. Often it's best to shoot several exposures, most importantly making sure you have a shot where the highlights aren't getting blown out. Then you can shoot a shot similar to this one where the trees are brighter but the sky is blown, then use Color Range for example in Photoshop, select the blown out highlights, and use that selection in a Layer Mask to all the shot where you exposed for the highlights properly blend into the shot. And that's just one way of about 6 that one could do to deal with this.

Hope that helps,

Jim

PS... BTW, I do like the look of this shot here in every way but the blown clouds. You really nailed the look of the trees in this.

Apr 02, 2013 at 07:31 AM
ksanjay

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trees

very nice

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:54 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password