Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How much album space for reception?

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How much album space for reception?

I am wondering what percentage most of you give to the reception in your albums? Personally, I tend to downplay the reception. I am doing a sample album right now, and I have one spread with reception out of 14 spreads. Granted, this particular wedding had a shorter reception, and I was not thrilled with how the lighting came out. But, part of me wonders if it is a negative thing that I tend to not include as much from the reception. The way I have seen it is that while the reception is obviously an important part of the day, the album is better reserved for the more "story" and artistic/emotional shots from the day.

thoughts?

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How much album space for reception?

Usually one spread of the important dances, one spread of details if they have some that matter to them, one spread of toasts/reactions, and 1-2 spreads of general dancing. 4-5 tops.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:05 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How much album space for reception?

For me it's generally a reflection of the time spent throughout the day. If I'm there for 7 hours at the reception, it would be weird to have only one spread of it and I think my clients would be pretty disappointed... in that they've wanted me there at the reception for a reasonable amount of time, they've communicated what elements are important during this time, so if I do anything else it would essentially be saying "screw you" to them. In your example, I imagine you weren't there for long at the reception, and it wasn't very important, and the album reflects that.

After the natural coverage (in terms of hours spent) I just try to bring emphasis to the most important parts of the day, and the 'best' photographs :-)

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:08 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How much album space for reception?

I try not to have a formulaic approach to it. Instead, I try to offer the pictures that best tells the story of their wedding day. On average, I probably give the reception up to 20-25% of the spreads.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:30 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How much album space for reception?

The reception usually takes up about half the day, but for me only gets 20-25% of the space in the album as well.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:45 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How much album space for reception?

Sample albums I do 1 for details, 1 for toasts and cake cutting, 1 for dances and the toss and then maybe 1 for a bunch of random fun of people dancing.

For client albums, this may vary. They may not want much or they may want a ton.

I had one client make a 48 page book with me and 16 were from the reception.

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:05 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How much album space for reception?

DO you think it is a negative aspect of a sample album if there is not enough reception stuff?

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How much album space for reception?

friscoron wrote:
I try not to have a formulaic approach to it. Instead, I try to offer the pictures that best tells the story of their wedding day. On average, I probably give the reception up to 20-25% of the spreads.

I feel like this.

If the B&G say, "Hey. We only want you there for like 30 minutes of getting ready, 1 hour of portraiture, and the 45 minute ceremony, but want you there for 6 hours of the reception" then it's abundantly clear what their focus is. I'll adjust my album design based upon that.

We don't have a set boiler plate template nor allocate the same amount of spreads to each and every album. It all depends on the clients and the day.

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Thats Fresh
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How much album space for reception?

I'm with main here, about 20% of album layouts are for receptions and I havent had a complaint yet.

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How much album space for reception?

Depends heavily on what happens at the reception, and how much room I have to catch good character-revealing shots there. If it's mostly bleary-eyed dancing, there's not a lot of value to putting that in the book in my view. If I have time to shoot some portraits and the toasts generate some good personality-focused shots, then there's a lot more value in it.

I tend to emphasize people rather than events, though, which might not be how most people lay out their albums.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:26 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.