Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I always wanted a QFlash now what?

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I always wanted a QFlash now what?

I've wanted a QFlash for years. Last month I bought a used Quantum QFlash 5d-R. My Turbo had died so I replaced the cell in it and it works fine now. I have the pc->HH, the PWs->HH and the correct qttl adapter. I have the rolling radios all from Pocket Wizard, 1 Mini TT1, 5 Flex TT5 and 2 Plus IIsand a AC3 Zone Controller. I was hoping the Flex would work with the QFlash but according to PW it will not. I also have the following speedlites Canon 580EXII, 580EX, and 3 550Exs. My problem is how to use both the quantum and canon lights together easily.

Yes I can hook up the qflash and set it to manual maybe even auto and make changes on they unit itself and setup the canon unit using the flexes like I always have but I'd like to be able to set it up so I can make changes to all the lights from the camera position. I'm figure I could use the qflash off camera using a long Ettl cable connected to the mini on the camera, the canons all on the flexes. This should allow all to work either in Ettl mode or in manual mode changing setting for manual on the individual units. But in auto I've got no control over the ratios between lights even moving them would just change the amount of power used by the unit. Eventually I might get the quantum radios to replace the Ettl cable. But it might allow me to change the power somewhat more other than the compensation setting on the Ettl adapter. No way to use the qflash and canon together with the radio system I have yet. Yes I coul buy the canon Ettl adapters and more Quantum radios but why have two systems. I'm hoping and even requested PW to design and produce a module for the qflashes light they have for some of the big light systems. I understand the ControlTL system is still an infant and it will take time to develop products for all the various systems out there. But what to do now.

My question for you is if you have and use canon or Nikon PWs and qflash together with the respective hot shoe flash how do you set it up normally. Please post details for me to try.

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:00 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I always wanted a QFlash now what?

Michael White wrote:
...I also have the following speedlites Canon 580EXII, 580EX, and 3 550Exs. My problem is how to use both the quantum and canon lights together easily.

The easiest way is to get a QNexus receiver for the QFlash, and use the Canon optical wireless system to control it. Depending on the camera you have you may need to use one of your 580es as the Master, either on-camera or off-camera using the ETTL cable. If you have a newer camera with a pop-up flash, that can act as the Master.

It's not radio, but the optical signalling works surprisingly well.

http://www.qtm.com/index.php/products/wireless-controls/qnexus

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:14 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I always wanted a QFlash now what?

Any attempt to use two radio systems at the same time is just stupid and will lead to more problems than you can imagine or plan for. The same applies to hotshoe/screw fittings on swivel adapters.. flange mount/speedlight/hybrid modifiers and compromised mode use and operation.

With your current setup you are relegated to using the Quantum as a simple dumb remote which hinders its capability and convenience immensely.

I tried the PW system and Quantum FreeXwire system apart and together but now only use the Quantum system. Attempting to use the PW with the T5d-R and D adapter only resulted in a continual firing of the T5d-R. I didn't have the investment in "1 Mini TT1, 5 Flex TT5 and 2 Plus IIsand a AC3 Zone Controller" that you do, so for you that loss would be hard to bear.

There is no workable solution that I know of with your current combination, but I would offer three options to consider.. switch to RadioPoppers which will control the Quantums to an extent, or switch to Quantum FreeXwire which will control Quantums and then Speedlites to an extent. Option three would be to dump the Speedlites entirely and switch over to Quantum.

When you realise option three has been there all the time you do wonder why it takes so long for people to recognise its existence.

Apr 01, 2013 at 06:38 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I always wanted a QFlash now what?

ukphotographer wrote:
There is no workable solution that I know of with your current combination, but I would offer three options to consider.. switch to RadioPoppers which will control the Quantums to an extent, or switch to Quantum FreeXwire which will control Quantums and then Speedlites to an extent. Option three would be to dump the Speedlites entirely and switch over to Quantum.

When you realise option three has been there all the time you do wonder why it takes so long for people to recognise its existence.

I agree with the above. You are making things more complicated in an attempt to make them convenient by way or wireless trigger; you're really defeating the purpose.

Bottom line is you should sell something and stick to one that covers what you need.

Admit it, you like lights

Apr 01, 2013 at 08:41 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.