Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Athena

alatoo60
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Athena

...or "Tower of Silence", whatever one prefers. Taken almost two years ago.

Star tracks did not come out well as stars started to fade quickly by the time the last couple of shots were taken.
Eventually, want to re-shoot this when I have a chance.

Next is the early morning version, processed for color and b/w.
Which one is better?

Thanks for looking, C&C are very welcome.

Sasha.

Apr 01, 2013 at 02:14 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Athena

Wow, you've been holding these back! These really show off these remarkable formations very well. I like them all for different reason, and it is hard to choose a favorite. I think the B&W versions would stand very well on its own, but it is a shame to lose the contrasting gold and blue colors.

Dave

Apr 01, 2013 at 02:21 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Athena

Dave, thank you. The formations are truly remarkable, and very well worth the hike and spending the night under the stars. And then come few precious minutes after sunrise when it glows and shows the texture really well.
The first one was a challenge to process, and I am still not very happy with the results.

Apr 01, 2013 at 02:37 AM
S Barth
• •
p.1 #4 · Athena

I like #3 for its graphic strength. The highlights seem more brilliant than those of the color version. Very nice image. I hope to see this place in person eventually. Thanks!

-Steve

Apr 01, 2013 at 03:15 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Athena

Steve, thank you.
If you like hoodoos, that's the place to go.

Apr 01, 2013 at 06:32 AM
Dougo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Athena

These are all good but the B&W is the standout for me, the shadows, tones and textures just seem to gel.

Cheers Ray

Apr 01, 2013 at 08:54 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Athena

I love this place!
And you got some good images from it.
It's a toss-up between the color version and the conversion in the 2nd and 3rd pics. Both have their good points. And I like them both.
Charlie

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:43 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Athena

Hey Sasha,

Your #1 shot really is super cool! Way to go with that. As for the morning shot, to me the color version wins hands down. In the B&W you are losing some highlights in the rocks that then feel blown out. In the color version, the detail and texture is maintained throughout.

Jim

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Athena

Sasha,
The 1st one is cool! love it.

Apr 02, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Athena

This is very cool! Love that first one!

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Heinz H
• • •
p.1 #11 · Athena

#1 and #3 for me.

Heinz

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:43 AM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #12 · Athena

Sweet!

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Athena

Very nice series Aleksandra. That first one is my favorite and I actually like that you only have a partial star trail on that one rather than a full one which overwhelms many of the images I've seen. My preference between #2 and #3 is for the color but I think if you can accentuate the textures more in the B&W it would be the winner.

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:12 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Athena

Thank you very much for the comments!

Dougo wrote:
These are all good but the B&W is the standout for me, the shadows, tones and textures just seem to gel.
Ray, very glad you liked B&W. I am torn between two. Probably, have to see them in print to decide.

Charlie Shugart wrote:
I love this place!
And you got some good images from it.
It's a toss-up between the color version and the conversion in the 2nd and 3rd pics. Both have their good points. And I like them both.

Charlie, thank you! I love this place, too. Really want to return...

JimFox wrote:
Your #1 shot really is super cool! Way to go with that. As for the morning shot, to me the color version wins hands down. In the B&W you are losing some highlights in the rocks that then feel blown out. In the color version, the detail and texture is maintained throughout.

Thank you for analysis, Jim. #1 is made out of only three shots I was able to salvage - if I ever go there next time, it will be not during full moon for sure. As about #3, I'll see what I can do... on my monitor at home, it does show details, so may be just need to make them more noticeable.

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:58 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Athena

Sunny Sra wrote:
The 1st one is cool! love it.

Sunny, thank you!

Scott Kroeker wrote:
This is very cool! Love that first one!

Scott, thank you!

Heinz H wrote:
#1 and #3 for me.

Thank you! I am thrilled that #1 is liked, that was the whole idea behind the trip.

Chris Tylko wrote:
Sweet!

Chris, thank you!

Tuan Le wrote:
Very nice series Aleksandra. That first one is my favorite and I actually like that you only have a partial star trail on that one rather than a full one which overwhelms many of the images I've seen. My preference between #2 and #3 is for the color but I think if you can accentuate the textures more in the B&W it would be the winner.

Tuan, thank you for the analysis. With #1, it's all about sensitivity. My camera is too noisy for the stars, but it can do some mediocre star treks (with the help of software, of course) - but it will never be able to capture the whole range - and may be, that's good. I'll see if #3 can be improved - probably, need to process it twice, separately for the contrast and for the details, and combine.

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:12 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password