Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

55 (or so ) in a blue 'Stang.

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:40 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

nice wheels
the foreground blur is distracting.
I think I would prefer a more aggressive pose, maybe angled a bit to also give us part of the grill.
Scott

Apr 01, 2013 at 01:41 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

Agree with Scott,

Maybe burn-in the foreground slightly to reduce distraction and add depth?

Bob

Apr 01, 2013 at 01:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I think I got caught in "no man's land" with this one regarding blur. It looks like my shutter speed was too low to stop all motion, and too high to allow for a more dynamic subject motion blur. I probably could have gone with a slower shutter speed to get more blur out of those wheels.

I would like to have seen more radial motion blur in the wheels/tires to convey the motion of the moving subject more, as this wasn't a static shot.

I'll have to scout around to try and find a different location for more aggressive comp. I had originally decided to shoot this location due to its orientation to the lighting and the nearby curve (for the comp). But, the orientation of the curve relative to my below grade position didn't work. Since, I'm shooting this manual focus @ highway speed moving target, I pre-focused to the 90 degree orientation so I could take a crack at vehicles moving from either direction in either lane ... if that makes any sense.

Here's one from the other direction with a different comp, but you can see the lighting isn't very friendly toward the front end. Although, if I shoot in the AM vs. the PM, I could reverse the lighting somewhat in this same location.

Apr 01, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

Flathead, mis-matched tires, wide whitewalls, love it. Maybe more room at right?

Were these folks on a club outing?

Bob

Apr 01, 2013 at 06:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

Thanks Bob.

No club outing ... that would have been "kid in a candy store" kinda stuff. :drool:

+1 @ more space to the right, but given that these are highway speeds (55 mph) in "real traffic" scenarios, I'll take it.

If they were staged or for a club shoot, where I could instruct the drivers how to proceed into/through the shoot zone, then I'd be a bit more critical about it, but these are kinda like shooting skeet. It doesn't matter if it is a perfect center hit or you just barely hit it, as long as you hit your target, it still counts ... I was just out for some target practice.

Apr 01, 2013 at 06:58 PM
Beabs

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

Oh my, I thought these were staged and stopped or going slow. Great job in capturing these! I've got to try these shots sometime. I think that the first image does need the blur in the rims - easily done in PS.

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

Thanks Bea,

Feel free to have a go @ the wheels/blur in the Mustang. I wanted to use radial blur to push them along just a bit further, but didn't get around to it before. Here's my stab at it along with a little wind @ the grass. Hopefully, I retained a degree of plausible realism. And then there's always the slightly cheezier version.

Apr 02, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Beabs

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

Really Nice. I think that little bit of blur makes it. Love it. I don't even mind the cheesy. Wouldn't mind the car either. I would also like the sunshine - as I stood in a field in a snowstorm shooting Osprey this morning.

Apr 02, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cruisin' Down The Highway ...

Nope. Way too much cheese. But the other one looks much better.

In terms of image capture this situation might be a bit like catching aircraft propellers or helicopter rotors with a slow enough exposure to give some sense of motion, but with suitable panning to make the rest look sharp despite the slower shutter speed. For the mustang it seems that 1/640 was just a bit too fast but you would not want to use a speed so slow that the wheel spokes are lost completely. One good thing about those wheels is that they can still look like 5-spoke wheels even when they are moving, whereas so many other designs lose their special appearance once they are moving even at slow speeds.

- Alan

May 07, 2013 at 04:12 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password