Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · OT - Got a new office/studio, looking for words of wisdom

Jon-Mark
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OT - Got a new office/studio, looking for words of wisdom

I'm about 50% through the renovation on my new office/studio space. I've never had a work space outside of my home before so I'm pretty stoked, particularly about having a dedicated shooting space. Just wondering if anyone's got any tips or words of wisdom for super handy pieces of gear or ways of organizing things. These could be backdrop supports, wall mounted peripherals, shooting equipment, computer stuff, desks/furniture, secure storage. Anything.

I have a full camera kit and studio light setup already, but I'd love to learn from those who have already got a space.

Thanks!
JM

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM
JonMold
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OT - Got a new office/studio, looking for words of wisdom

No advice dude, but awesome news on the studio space. I'll be coming over in September to check it out

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:46 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OT - Got a new office/studio, looking for words of wisdom

Get a bunch of A clamps. A seemless support system would make your life easier if you're going to be shooting on paper a lot

wall mounted http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686129-REG/Interfit_INT312_Wall_Mounting_Kit_for.html
or stands http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/45652-REG/Savage_63151_Multiple_Polevault_System.html

Rolling carts are awesome for throwing a laptop on if you're going to shoot tethered, or just for having gear near by and mobile.

clothing rack for wardrobe.

... I have no idea what you're shooting but these are general things

now that you have a studio, you also have off site storage, so you can start keeping a backup on location and at home.

A broom and a vacuum cleaner

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:07 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OT - Got a new office/studio, looking for words of wisdom

A locked place to keep cameras is nice to have.

Apr 01, 2013 at 03:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OT - Got a new office/studio, looking for words of wisdom

Stripper pole.

Apr 01, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OT - Got a new office/studio, looking for words of wisdom

some way to display images to clients through monitor ( not your working monitor ), projection, or TV. Wireless file transmission through eyefi is really nice to use, and an ipad or screen for review. Plenty of studio strobes, stands, backdrops, triggers so you have one in house set and one travel set ( this is true for much of your equipment ). A good fireproof gun safe or safe to store backup hard drives and extra equipment.

light modifiers, props,something for clients to keep busy with weather its magazines, newspaper, a tv playing a slideshow....

Client and yourself accommodations - fridge with snack foods and bottled water and beverages, perhaps a kuerig coffee maker, cheese, cracker and wine tray if you want to go fancy. Also all the normal cleaners and a vacuum.

getting ready materials - clothes hangers, clothes rack, bobby pins, clothes pins, hair ties and rubber bands, full length mirror and dressing area or partitioned area, blow dryer, iron, ironing board, tide to go pens, lint rollers, plenty of electrical outlets, steamer if you so please, makeup mirror if you are getting fancy and good full length lighting - if you bring in a make up artist, perhaps an area for that where she can set up her makeup and sit on a stool to do the makeup.

Some people use box fans, or oscillating fans to get a wind effect. Extension cords, tons of gaffer tape and a few big rubbermaid bins to store stuff away while not in use.

separate large table with nothing on it,stainless steel or glass top, preferably at waist height with good, color accurate lights above. This is for reviewing prints, laying out materials, a work surface, etc.

A good sound system is nice with apple airplay capability, or docking capabilities. Client can bring in own music, of you can run pandora station, etc. You need some background noise all the time when a client is there during the shooting session

A good charging station for AAs, Specific camera battery chargers, etc. and extra batteries on hand so you have spares. Hook it up to a switchable outlet so you can turn on and off as you please.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:49 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OT - Got a new office/studio, looking for words of wisdom

Keep it clean and tidy!

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:36 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OT - Got a new office/studio, looking for words of wisdom

Daboyle wrote: