FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Elakala Falls in winter

dsjtecserv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elakala Falls in winter

I had a chance to drive through Ohio and West Virginia last week and stopped at some places I hadn't been to in winter. This is Elakala Falls, in Blackwater Falls State Park. This is one of my favorite places to stop when I get the chance. It isn't nearly as nice as in warmer months when there is more color, but I thought the surrounding ice added a bit of interest.

The WV highlands have had at least some snow every day in March, with a couple of big dumps, and there was at least 2 feet of snow on the ground at the higher elevations when I was there on March 29. (This was originally going to be my early spring trip. Ha!) While a trail leads past the top of the falls, getting down to stream level requires a mild scramble. Based on the lack of disturbed snow, no one had been down there for some time, and it was a challenge to break the route without having any idea what was under all that snow. Fortunately the snow cushions when you slip and fall!

http://www.pbase.com/dsjtecserv/image/149454434/original.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Dave

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elakala Falls in winter

Really like this one great balance of snow, water and ice.

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:36 PM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elakala Falls in winter

Very nice composition. I also like your choice of SS for this one as well. Nicely done.

JBR

Mar 31, 2013 at 06:19 PM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elakala Falls in winter

Nice work Dave.....has a very monotonal feel to it...I really like those icicles down the left side. Did you get any close-ups of those?
cheers Andrew

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:18 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elakala Falls in winter

Dave,
I like the muted palette and the combination of the thin veil of running water with the brilliance of frozen one.

Sasha.

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:31 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Elakala Falls in winter

Thanks Sneakyracer, John, Andrew and Sasha. It was indeed a more monochromatic scene than it usually looks, and I thought about doing a B&W conversion on it. Perhaps I'll try that tonight. Andrew, I didn't do anything focused on the icicles themselves; I guess I was too intent on capturing the whole scene. Sasha, yes, my goal was to juxtapose and contrast the two forms of falling water (fast and very slow!). Glad you noticed!

Dave

Apr 01, 2013 at 09:05 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Elakala Falls in winter

Although soft light and snow can be a difficult combination you captured this well. Definitely worth the effort!
Dave

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:53 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Elakala Falls in winter

Thanks, Dave. And I admit, that the effort of getting down there was part of the fun, especially knowing no one else had done it (at least recently). Later in the day I had to break trail (without snowshoes) for about a mile to get to another favorite falls (which resulted in the detail shot I posted in a different thread). I was mighty tired by the end of the day!

Dave

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:05 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Elakala Falls in winter

Pretty nice camo'ing the bridge over the falls. Surprised to see snow still there this time of year.
Douglas

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:38 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Elakala Falls in winter

I really really love that shot!! Great job!

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:09 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Elakala Falls in winter

Thanks, Douglas and savingspaces. Yeah, that bridge is a pain. I really isn't interesting enough to feature as part of the picture, but hard to exclude from most angles. This time I just let it ride in the hope it wouldn't be too noticeable.

BTW, for those of you who go to Elakala, in addition to the tree that draped itself over the brink during the past year, another has fallen on the rocks below. It isn't too close to interfere with the pools, but it would gum up more distant shots. That's nature for ya.

Dave

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.