Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

SwampYankee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

Hi,
A few times a year Canon sends out emails announcing additional savings on refurbished lenses. I'm leaning towards a 135L f2 and they had one at a really good price. I didn't pull the trigger, but might next time. I presume that it would be a pretty safe way to buy because Canon would make sure the lens was up to spec and alignment. My question is what have been your experiences with Canon refurbished products? How does Canon end up with these lenses? Any bad experiences? Thanks

Mar 31, 2013 at 03:52 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

The 50L I bought from Canon refurb was perfect. Just wonder if it may have been a returned lens due to the reports of focus problems with this lens? Anyway, refurb may just be an even greater chance of getting a good copy since the checking and calibrating are done more than once.

Worked for me, I use my 50 1.2 wide open with great results.

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

mark fadely wrote:
The 50L I bought from Canon refurb was perfect. Just wonder if it may have been a returned lens due to the reports of focus problems with this lens? Anyway, refurb may just be an even greater chance of getting a good copy since the checking and calibrating are done more than once.

Worked for me, I use my 50 1.2 wide open with great results.

A refurbished item can be anything in the whole process--it can be an item that didn't pass QC or it can be a defect that a customer found.

The spectrum of the condition of refurbished items can be quite high, IMO. Although everyone of them has to be rechecked, it can be as good as a return that a customer thought it had a problem, but it never had such problem or it could be bad that the problem is never found even by Canon.

I recall one time that a friend of mine had a problem with a lens that had to be sent to Canon three times for them to find out what my friend experienced. So, is it possible that the original problem that is the reason why such item is refurbished in the first place never found? I think it is. How likely is it? Maybe not that likely. But that's the reason warranty comes into play.

So, is it okay to buy refurbished? Of course, it is. The condition is mostly just like new. Just be sure to test it thoroughly and use it often before the return or warranty period runs out.

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:48 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

I bought a refurbished 1DIV...USED! from a private party. Works great!

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:04 PM
skier860

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

I have bought two factory refurbished lenses and one body and all were excellent. Condition on all were like new and they preform great. I bought the body from Canon, one lens from Adorama and one from B&H. I recommend all three sources.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:04 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

SwampYankee wrote:
Hi,
A few times a year Canon sends out emails announcing additional savings on refurbished lenses. I'm leaning towards a 135L f2 and they had one at a really good price. I didn't pull the trigger, but might next time. I presume that it would be a pretty safe way to buy because Canon would make sure the lens was up to spec and alignment. My question is what have been your experiences with Canon refurbished products? How does Canon end up with these lenses? Any bad experiences? Thanks

i'm considering selling my 135 f/2. I'm not suggesting that you purchase mine, as I haven't listed it on the forums yet, and I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it after I buy an 85 1.2, but the lens is great. It's a sharp lens, fast focusing and has great IQ.

You'll really like it when you get one. If you check around, they can be had used between 700-900. I know that's a huge window, but that's depending on who and how fast they need money.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:06 PM
SwampYankee

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

RobertLynn wrote:
i'm considering selling my 135 f/2. I'm not suggesting that you purchase mine, as I haven't listed it on the forums yet, and I'm not sure if I'm going to sell it after I buy an 85 1.2, but the lens is great. It's a sharp lens, fast focusing and has great IQ.

You'll really like it when you get one. If you check around, they can be had used between 700-900. I know that's a huge window, but that's depending on who and how fast they need money.

I was out today with my old, old old, 70-200mm f4L (no IS). I have had this lens forever with my crop cameras. Got a 5DIII last fall and haven't really used the 70-200 much but now that I am looking at todays photos they are quite sharp. may hold off on the 135 but I have heard god like things of this lens and I want to move towards primes and more people shooting. Argh! I need to hit lotto

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:25 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

I've bought a refurb camera and lens and in both cases they looked like new in every respect, save for the boxes. The camera was through Adorama, so it had a 1 year warranty through them. The lens never had an issue and I sold it when I upgraded to a similar L lens.

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:03 AM
seanoc
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

I just received a refurb 17-40L direct from Canon. This is my first Canon refurb. The lens looks brand new. The zoom and focus rings are silky smooth and it passed my quick image quality tests with flying colors. I'm a believer that refurbs may give you a better chance than new on getting a great lens due to he extra QC that is done in the refurb process. I bought this after getting a Tokina 16-28 that was so bad at autofocus that Focal gave up on trying to calculate a microadjustment. This lens microadjusted easily and the focus is spot on now.

Sean

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:00 PM
krickett
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

I bought a 15-85 EFS from Canon directly, refurbished. It functioned perfectly fine, and it was cosmetically flawless, but you could definitely tell that it was an older lens. It didn't have that 'new car' feeling, lol.

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:47 PM
matthew.lumpp

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

100mm 2.8L IS with a UA date code. Looks brand new, just in a refurb box. I would definitely consider buying refurbed.

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:48 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

Picked up a 100L IS Macro and 1.4x T/C III and both were 'perfect' no signs of ware, glass is clean, no dust, like new...yes I'll buy again if the price is good

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:19 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

I picked up my 35L and everything looks new and focus is excellent on my T2i and 5D3.

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:15 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

I've purchased three Canon refurbished lenses (16-35 mk II, 100L IS macro, and 100-400L) and a 5D mk II body. All where indistinguishable from new. Body had 42 shutter actuations on arrival. Only down side is the price isn't all that low unless they are running specials or for the body using CLP. Free shipping, but had to pay tax. VERY happy with my Canon refurbished purchases.

Jim

Apr 04, 2013 at 02:23 PM
DblDrgn
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

I've bought several lenses through the Canon Refurb department, and never had any issues. As far as I'm concerned, it's as good as buying new, you get a warranty too.

Apr 04, 2013 at 05:01 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon refurbished lenses, your experience?

I have bout two bodies and several refurbished lenses. The bodies were brand new and the lenses were absolutely sharp in very case. I really think Canon refurbished is the best way to buy your gear. I wish I felt his way sooner, I could have saved a lot of money.

Apr 05, 2013 at 12:17 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.