Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

Well the pictures are not as dramatic as the title but I did stand on the lava with my boots smoking but I could not bring myself to put my gitzo tripod on the newly formed rock that was smoking hot. And I did not want to stand with my favorite hiking boots for too long.

So here are the less exciting pictures. I went on a guided hike with seelava. They take you past the barricade and hike over very rough terrain to the lava. The hike started at 5:30 am but some of the others in the group were a bit slow so we did not get there with good light. It was about an 1.5 hours of hiking to the lava.

It was cool to stand on the lava and look through the cracks at glowing red/yellow beneath my feet.

Comments and feedback are appreciated. Scott

1-4 of 4

1 of 4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm lens    35mm    f/11.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

2 of 4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm lens    35mm    f/11.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

3 of 4

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm lens    35mm    f/8.0    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

4 of 4 -The shot from on top of the lava - looking down from 5' - with my boots smoking

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    15mm lens    15mm    f/8.0    1/80s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

My Guide poking the lava

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    15mm lens    15mm    f/8.0    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Apr 16, 2013 at 03:49 AM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:33 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

#1 and #4 are my favorites. Looks like a little different scenery from your usual. Glad you didn't melt a tripod (would insurance cover that).

Dave

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:36 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

Very interesting shots Scott.
Although not quite up to the standard of your usual spectacular images, they do convey a nice impression of the location.

Do they have sinkholes in lava beds? Because, that would not be good!

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:48 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

dalongfellow: It my favorite tripod that has survived carrying over most of north america - the new ones are different. So insurance would not work - and does not cover craziness Glad you like 1,4. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

ckcarr: I was thinking about the rocks turning over as I stood on them - that would be painful. The area has lots of potential. Unfortunately, I am just here for the weekend, so not enough time to find a guide for the night. Glad you like the views. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:02 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

Hey Scott,

I have sure thought about doing something similar sometime. Now that would be a drag to be hiking with people that ended up holding up the group so long that sunrise was missed... #1 and 4 are my favorites.

I am glad you mentioned about the tripod. I hadn't thought about that... hmmm... maybe have to just take the rubber tips off?

Jim

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:59 PM
bboule
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

Just curious is this tour/guide operation legit or is this something new?

I was there in 2009.. the police/park service were not letting this kind of thing happen at the time as it was considered too dangerous... the barricades were meant to be just that, barricades.

They had said they had a 5 square mile area collapse into the sea earlier that yet without warning.. way too dangerous to let people hike on top of the lava flow.

It was very funny at the time as you'd get to the barricade and there was an army of local photographers selling photos in the parking area that clearly involved getting really close to the lava and shooting it with a wide angle lens.

Apr 01, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

JimFox: Bring a cheap old tripod. The rocks are really hot, not just warm but like standing on a frying pan. The lava is flowing relatively close to the road now so now is the time to do it. But I think you have to find someone to take you out leaving at 2am who knows what they are doing. The hike is rough though with lots of places to twist an ankle. Glad you like 1,4. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

bboule: The tour operator is a very large one. Lavaoceantours.com They seem competent and do water tours of the lava as well. It did seem a bit dangerous to me. Not so much until you get to the lava site but standing on the lava and being encouraged to do was surprising. But I don't think it is new. They say they have permission to cross the private land. So dangerous but still worth the visit as long as you know what you are signing up for. Scott

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:57 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #9 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

Hello Scott,

What a surprise, you posting from the Big Island.

Nice shot of the lava flow.

Stay warm

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tdong
• • •
p.1 #10 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

i am impressed

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:46 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

nma: Glad you like the lava flow. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

tdong: It is an impressive spot. There is nothing quite as exciting as standing on newly formed rock and looking through the cracks at glowing orange. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:29 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

Wow, that's impressive, especially the strikes of red.

Apr 03, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

Alatoo60: It was impressive (and a bit scary) to stand on rock that was so hot you could not touch it and then see the molten lava between the cracks under your feet. The thought that ocurred to me, being from northern canada, is that small ice bergs can sometimes turn over when you stand on them, so why can't new rock..... but then my feet got to hot thinking about my demise and I carried on taking pictures. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:09 PM
321photos
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

very "cool" shots Scott - thanks for sharing them and the story!

Mark.

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:03 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

Scott, very challenging time of day to get nice shots. Really can't see much of the lava glow during the day. Best bet would be to hike out to the flow in the evening and stay until it gets dark to get the dramatic flowing lava shots.

In the early 2000's I hiked out in the evening and witnessed a breath taking experience watching from a very close distance this glowing orange river of molten rock slowly flow over a cliff into the ocean. Magnificent. The hike back ( 6km.) in pitch blackness was very challenging to say the least as the hardened lava had crevasses that were razor sharp.

I need to return again with my gear...but only at twilight to capture that glowing river.

Apr 06, 2013 at 01:36 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #16 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

What an incredible experience Scott!

Apr 06, 2013 at 01:47 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Hawaii - Big Island - Standing on Lava

I love walking on lava! And poking it with a stick! Glad you got to go out there. Cool shots.

Apr 06, 2013 at 10:09 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password