Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The strange disappearance (and miraculous discovery) of i...

verbiage
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · The strange disappearance (and miraculous discovery) of images in 5D III

Just an observation:

I was testing (aka fooling around with) a new 5D Mark III, and put in a couple of cards I'd used on other cameras - there was still a fair amount of free space left on each, and I needed a few old files off the CF. so I decided against formatting the cards: a new user, I was not sure I wouldn't format the wrong card by accident.

Act 1.
I tried a few different settings for saving images to both or one card, and kept on shooting after picking "sequential, automatic switch between cards" (not sure if these are the exact words in the menu, but that's the idea), and just kept shooting. I did a bit of chimping, and all was well.

Act 2
After putting the cards into my computer (an "ancienescent" desktop with all manner of card slots, thank you, HP!), I couldn't find most of the files I took with the new 5D - I looked in the root directory of each card, the DCIM/100CANON folder, they were very simply not there. I started getting ideas - bad card? was there an option the opposite of "shoot without card" (something like "shoot but don't save")? Did I dream the whole thing? I decided to transfer files to HDD before checking again in the camera.

Act 3
I had stuck the SD card into a Panasonic mFT body I tried out at a store a few days previously, so the card had a 104_PANA folder on it. I decided to take a look in there, just in case, and lo and behold, the latest 5D III images were all in it!

Interesting that the 5D III chose to save them there rather than to an older 100CANON directory created by a 60D.

Off to format the cards now.

A good Sunday to all!

S.K.

p.s edited for clarity

Edited on Apr 01, 2013 at 01:05 AM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:58 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · The strange disappearance (and miraculous discovery) of images in 5D III

verbiage wrote:
Act 2
After putting the cards into my computer (an "ancienescent" desktop with all manner of card slots, thank you, HP!), I couldn't find most of the files I took with the new 5D - I looked in the root directory of each card, the DCIM/100CANON folder, they were very simply not there. I started getting ideas - bad card? was there an option opposite to "shoot without card" (something like "shoot but don't save")? Did I dream the whole thing? I decided to transfer files to HDD before checking again in the camera.

Act 3
I had stuck the SD card into
...Show more

If you go to the first button of the yellow menu "Record func+card/folder sel.', the second menu in there lets you select the storage card. In other words, you can choose to record/play either the CF card or SD, regardless of the folder name or created by what camera.

Mar 31, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · The strange disappearance (and miraculous discovery) of images in 5D III

But he's right. It should have defaulted to a Canon created folder from the previous camera model. Definitely a glitch unless you have the option of "where' to save on a specific card with the 3. I don't know. I own a 2.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · The strange disappearance (and miraculous discovery) of images in 5D III

Sarsfield wrote:
But he's right. It should have defaulted to a Canon created folder from the previous camera model. Definitely a glitch unless you have the option of "where' to save on a specific card with the 3. I don't know. I own a 2.

You can set the folder. Since he did not set it up, it probably took the first one it came to.

It likely changed to the SD card, if you remove the CF card, it will select the SD card and remain there.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:56 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · The strange disappearance (and miraculous discovery) of images in 5D III

The folder should not matter if you use a proper downloading app. Format the card in the computer if you want it to be clean.

EBH

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:20 AM
verbiage
• •
p.1 #6 · The strange disappearance (and miraculous discovery) of images in 5D III

Thank you for your comments and tips - yes, I know I should get to know my camera a bit better and be more comfortable knowing at any point in time where it is writing images.

Eric, I am pretty old school where image transfer is concerned - I like going into the folder on the memory card, picking what I want and copying them where I want them. Not the most efficient way, but it works if you don't want any surprises

All the best,
S.K.

Apr 02, 2013 at 06:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password