Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · Canon White Paint
  
 
Videoguy
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon White Paint


Where can I obtain white paint for Canon lens.......liquid or spray?


Mar 31, 2013 at 05:47 AM
timbop
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon White Paint


google is your friend. Searched "canon lens paint touch up"
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34492692



Mar 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM
RCicala
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Canon White Paint


One thing to be careful of: it comes in two different shades, one matching newer lenses, another for older. If I recall the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II was the first in the newer shade, but I'm not certain about that.

The two shades are close enough that it's hard to tell the difference in the can or applicator.



Mar 31, 2013 at 01:41 PM
JimboCin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Canon White Paint


The information provided from the Google search ended up as dead-ends.

The ebay link is dead, and the DP Review link says the paint can no longer be shipped in the US because it is considered a hazardous material.



Mar 31, 2013 at 02:11 PM
400d
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Canon White Paint


JimboCin wrote:
The information provided from the Google search ended up as dead-ends.

The ebay link is dead, and the DP Review link says the paint can no longer be shipped in the US because it is considered a hazardous material.

ebay search for "Canon Lens Paint".......



Mar 31, 2013 at 03:21 PM
Sarsfield
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Canon White Paint


http://www.ebay.com/sch/gentletraderman/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25


Mar 31, 2013 at 03:35 PM
kezeka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Canon White Paint


Point of order: 70-200 II appears to have the old white/cream color and not the new white. TDP has photos of this lens compared to the new color. I have a mk II and it definitely is more cream than white.


Mar 31, 2013 at 03:55 PM
3iron
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Canon White Paint


Take you lens to Sherwin Williams and have them match the paint. You can get a quart for about the same price of a few ounces of the internet.


Mar 31, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Mike Sowsun
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Canon White Paint


Here is a photo of the "Old" color 70-200mm 2.8 IS II with the "NEW" color 2x III.




Apr 01, 2013 at 10:35 PM
kezeka
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Canon White Paint


70-300 L got the new paint job, 70-200 mkII is the old color:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Product-Images.aspx?Lens=687&LensComp=738&LensComp2=103



Apr 02, 2013 at 03:57 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Canon White Paint


JimboCin wrote:
and the DP Review link says the paint can no longer be shipped in the US because it is considered a hazardous material.


I am puzzled by that. Does that mean that petroleum/alcohol based paints have to be purchased directly in person from their manufacturers because they are not allowed to ship them to retailers ?

Or such paints can be shipped but with special haz-mat equipment and procedures ? Is there a major switch to water based paints in US now ?



Apr 02, 2013 at 09:44 AM
rscheffler
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Canon White Paint


Why not phone Canon's parts department? This is the case for Canon Canada, so I would expect a similar department exists at Canon USA: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/support_pro/pro_service-parts


Apr 02, 2013 at 09:51 AM
mikeinctown
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Canon White Paint


Canon touched up a nick on my old version 70-200 2.8 IS last week and it matches pretty darn close. so I'm pretty sure you could get a small bottle of touch up through them.

FWIW why on earth would you buy a quart of paint to match? So you can apply one dot of paint to something then toss the can in the trash 10 years from now and clutter the environment?



Apr 02, 2013 at 12:35 PM
castlekeeper01
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Canon White Paint


mikeinctown wrote:
Canon touched up a nick on my old version 70-200 2.8 IS last week and it matches pretty darn close. so I'm pretty sure you could get a small bottle of touch up through them.

FWIW why on earth would you buy a quart of paint to match? So you can apply one dot of paint to something then toss the can in the trash 10 years from now and clutter the environment?


Because SW doesn't mix less than a quart.

And yes, the paint industry in the US has been shifting to safer, water based products for over a decade. Many old, trusted formulations are no longer available. In most cases, but not all, replacement products are comparable in appearance and performance. Consumers who purchased products made with volatile and/or toxic materials will in some cases notice the difference. "Matching" paint is often a misnomer, as raw materials and finish processes change. More often the best one can hope for is "compatible" or "close". The world is changing.



Apr 02, 2013 at 02:23 PM
OntheRez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Canon White Paint


castlekeeper01 wrote:
Because SW doesn't mix less than a quart.

And yes, the paint industry in the US has been shifting to safer, water based products for over a decade. Many old, trusted formulations are no longer available. In most cases, but not all, replacement products are comparable in appearance and performance. Consumers who purchased products made with volatile and/or toxic materials will in some cases notice the difference. "Matching" paint is often a misnomer, as raw materials and finish processes change. More often the best one can hope for is "compatible" or "close". The world is changing.


As someone who has done more painting professionally than I like to remember (as a restorer of historic buildings), "matching" has always been a crap shoot. Yes, the removal of lead and now the movement to non-petroleum bases makes it harder, but there really is (and never has been) no such a thing as an absolute match. Time, environmental stress, material painted, and so on alter finishes (of all types). Try matching antique furniture finishes if you really want to go crazy.

That said it is all a question of "close enough." That decision is in the eye of the beholder. Has anyone used any of the products mentioned in this thread? If so, how did it turn out?

Robert
(All my whites are old and show it!)



Apr 02, 2013 at 06:47 PM
3iron
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Canon White Paint


Back to Sherwin Williams. They can match you existing lens color if you bring it in for them to view on their color machine. There may be texture differences as trying to fill a chip is difficult, but the color should be surprisingly close.
Someone who is a little handy and has an airbrush could make the chip just about disappear.



Apr 02, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Maximilian
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Canon White Paint


Beside the problem of matching the colour, what about the slightly grainy structure of the white paint? How can you replicate it?


Apr 02, 2013 at 10:49 PM
kevinsullivan
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Canon White Paint


what about the slightly grainy structure of the white paint? How can you replicate it?

I think there's a slider for that in Lightroom 4.



Apr 02, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Maximilian
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Canon White Paint


kevinsullivan wrote:
I think there's a slider for that in Lightroom 4.



unfortunately I use Capture One 7 and I seem to miss that magic slider...



Apr 02, 2013 at 11:06 PM
3iron
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Canon White Paint


Max, I don't believe you will be able to unless you use the slider as suggested above.


Apr 04, 2013 at 01:08 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password