Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · A minimalist kit...

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · A minimalist kit...

justruss wrote:
To Dan, whom I usually agree with: No, using one's feet isn't a perfect match for zooming a lens, or having multiple focal lengths. But neither is IS for aperture (or vice versa), or post processing for differences in lens construction, or natural for artificial light, or...

But no photographers keep all possible shooting possibilities open by having every single lens, source of light, etc. So at some level we must all decide what gets the job done. And I'd argue that for many shooters using the feet instead of a different focal length can solve many if not most distance/subject
...Show more

I sometimes shoot primes (the past few days I've been shooting a 14mm prime on a Fujifulm X-E1) for street and similar subjects because I have less to think about and am willing to give up the compositional control of focal length in exchange for light gear and the ability to work quickly and unobtrusively. I like shooting this way a great deal sometimes.

And I have no choice but to use my feet to get to the optimal distance given the focal length that I'm using. However, this is not the same as zooming. I have much more to think about and much more compositional control with a zoom than I have with a prime, even in the latter case by moving forward and backward. Primarily I have a great deal of control over foreground/background elements and their relationships to the primary subject that I must give up when shooting with single prime. I can move forward/backward with a prime to get the primary subject to fill X percent of the frame, but then I simply have to accept the resulting size of background elements and even whether or not foreground elements appear in the frame. With a zoom I can control the relationship among these elements - perhaps moving closer and using a shorter focal length in order to make background elements smaller and get in front of foreground elements, or choosing a longer focal length and thus including certain foreground elements that are between me and the primary subject when I move back and also narrowing the area included in the background.

So, no, zooming with your feet is nothing at all like altering focal length by selecting a different lens or using a zoom.

Take care,

Dan

BTW: This little X-E1 plus a small prime or two (or the 18-55 zoom) can make a really fine little "minimal" kit for certain kinds of shooting - perhaps in a number of situations better than twisting a prime or two onto my full frame DSLR.

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:51 AM
cbreiland

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · A minimalist kit...

5d + 24/2.8, 40/2.8, 85/1.8 = 1400$ used and very light.

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:17 AM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · A minimalist kit...

FF body. 24/50/135

Or.

FF body 35L

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:39 AM
outlawyer
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · A minimalist kit...

Had not the utility of live view finally won me over after initial apathy, I would probably have happily remained wedded to my old 5D forever after, for better or worse, through sickness and health.
Even still, if tomorrow circumstances conspired to leave me with only that antique body and a $150 40 2.8 lens, I'd be only slightly this side of ecstatic. I have other gear primarily because I can, not because happiness is impossible without it.

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Charlie N

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · A minimalist kit...

5D2 + Tamron 24-70 + 580ex

or

5D2 + 50L... but I think I may be transitioning to the sigma 35. Shot the 35 before and its really a tug of war between the focal lengths. I find that indoors, the 50 has been a bit too tight for my liking....

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:06 PM
84bravo
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · A minimalist kit...

A few years ago there was a story about a photojournalist who covered big documentary projects in Africa with a couple of point and shoot cameras. Why not? Henri Cartier Bresson used only a Leica M and 50mm lens. For all intents and purposes the image quality from a good PS camera is not that far removed from a Leica with Tri-X.

In 2005 I did a 10 day story traveling in Vietnam with a Nikon D70 and an 18-85 kit lens and a PS camera and it was fine. Today my kit is a Canon 5DmkIII with 24f1.4 and 85f1.8 and a G15 PS camera. I'm a working photojournalist. If I know I need to shoot pro sports or a political rally from risers, I'll bring a 300 and a bunch of gear. But if I'm traveling on a story, I prefer to keep it simple. Especially if I have to hump that gear. I find that the older I get, the less gear I need. YMMV.

I was a Leica M user before we all went digital. I miss those simpler days.

LarryK

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:24 PM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · A minimalist kit...

That photojournalist was Alex Majoli, a magnum photographer. Basic gear in the hands of a great photographer is always better than great gear in the hands of a basic photographer.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844

This is one of the reasons I decided to pick up a fuji x10 last year. A great little point and shoot.

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:48 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · A minimalist kit...

I dig the 5d + 35L combo for most things.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM
racoll
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · A minimalist kit...

Right now I'm using my 7D with a 40/2.8 and enjoying learning what I can see and capture with just that set-up. My favorite lens to use on my 7D is the 24-105, and that tends to be what I usually keep with me. I have become more fond of compact cameras lately, just because it's nice to have something that I can stick in my pocket and still know that I can capture nice shots. The G15 is amazing to use as is the S100, but the compact I've been using the most lately is the PowerShot SX260HS because of its 25-500mm focal range, and the fact that it has very nice image quality and fits easily in my pocket. Shots at ISO 800 and 1600 are surprisingly good for the size of sensor in it. So, for now its my 7D and 40/2.8 along with the SX260HS. Oh, and a Minolta SRT-102 thrown in for my film addiction.

Andy

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM
jfulton
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · A minimalist kit...

Nex 6 + Zeiss 24 1.8 is perfect for me. 35 mm field of view on a low profile, low light beauty.

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

John S. Hudson
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · A minimalist kit...

frankly, the most minimal kit that I have run across is simply my iPhone 5. Granted, it has its limitations, but in good daylight its surprisingly competent.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · A minimalist kit...

John S. Hudson wrote:
frankly, the most minimal kit that I have run across is simply my iPhone 5. Granted, it has its limitations, but in good daylight its surprisingly competent.

And it's always there. In a pinch, I held the Iphone 5 up to the rear of one side of binoculars (pressed against a window for stability) and got some decent telephoto shots of two distant bald eagles. Try it sometime.
Not going to displace my 5DIII and 100-400, but it was fun.
Steve

Apr 18, 2013 at 02:27 PM
DRosdahl
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · A minimalist kit...

Not a paid photographer, but my iPhone 5 does surprisingly well outdoors.

With that being said I think I finally have my kit where I want it. 5D III, 24-70 II, and an 85 1.8. That is it!

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:32 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · A minimalist kit...

I probably won't ever get a minimal DSLR kit unless I choose to stick with one genre of photograph, but I'm considering an RX100 for vacations and daily trips where photography is not a priority at all. Just not sure if I want to spend that type of money on a P&S, which means a Canon S100/S110 might be a good choice for me.

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:40 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · A minimalist kit...

boingyman wrote:
I probably won't ever get a minimal DSLR kit unless I choose to stick with one genre of photograph, but I'm considering an RX100 for vacations and daily trips where photography is not a priority at all. Just not sure if I want to spend that type of money on a P&S, which means a Canon S100/S110 might be a good choice for me.

Then consider a G1X, a really exceptional little camera and quite cheap now.

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · A minimalist kit...

Personally, I think the G1X is a great concept but it's problematic AF (according to reviews) draws me away from it.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:58 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · A minimalist kit...

Yakim Peled wrote:
Personally, I think the G1X is a great concept but it's problematic AF (according to reviews) draws me away from it.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

The AF is about as fast as on any screen-focusing digicam, but very accurate - you can have an enlarged section to check focus and unlike some it's fairly good for manual focusing too.

It's quite a quirky beast, you have to go into macro mode to shoot a headshot but you can do this in a second. The IQ is by far the best I have ever seen from a compact, miles ahead of anything else I've used that small. I think it edges out my 550D, which is no mean feat

Like all of it's type it's better for things that aren't in motion.

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:02 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · A minimalist kit...

I hope the G2X will retain the IQ (likely) and have better OVF and AF. That will surely be enough for me.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:07 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · A minimalist kit...

Yakim Peled wrote:
I hope the G2X will retain the IQ (likely) and have better OVF and AF. That will surely be enough for me.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

A proper, usable VF, a 24mm equivalent wide end perhaps not having to use macro mode all the time and it would be almost perfect (for me)

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:40 AM
warrenjrphotog
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · A minimalist kit...

Any Canon Crop Factor DSLR + Canon 18-55 & 55-250. Basically two F5.6 lenses with IS.

You can shoot pretty much anything with that setup including indoor events/weddings as long as you can light it up correctly and understand off camera lighting to a great degree.

Apr 19, 2013 at 06:04 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password