Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · A minimalist kit...

Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · A minimalist kit...

anthonygh wrote:
Some posters, in my opinion, are clearly boasting about what they can afford...others seem to 'need' some genuine exotica.

Yes. Some threads are thinly disguised brag threads.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:54 PM
mikesjo
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · A minimalist kit...

For the longest time I used the 5Dc, 17-40, 50 1.4, 70-200 2.8 non-is for weddings.

Today, 5D3, 35L, 85 1.2L (or substitute 85 for 70-200 2.8).

Travel, any 5D and a 35L or 50 1.4. Traveled with a 5Dc and 24-105 for 8 months just fine as well. The 24-105 crapped out on me 2 years ago, never touched another one after that.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · A minimalist kit...

A Sigma 35 1.4, a Tokina 12-24, and a 70-200 f4IS to go with my 40D.

Works for me.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:41 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · A minimalist kit...

I'm a nature, wildlife & adventure/travel photographer. I'm a minimalist for the field, but pack the tools I need to get the shot. Canon 5D markiii, 300mm f2.8 IS, 100 mm f2.8, & 24mm f3.5L TSE. If I'm on assignment I add a backup body & converters, if I'm working a city or rural community, then my 5D & 40mm pancake is all I need.

Bruce

Apr 01, 2013 at 02:24 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · A minimalist kit...

ComicDom1 wroteWe zoomed with our feet and learned to use what we had.

With your feet you can move closer to or further from your subject, but you cannot "zoom" with your feet - it isn't the same thing at all.

What constitutes a minimal kit varies depending upon what one is shooting.

Apr 01, 2013 at 03:56 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · A minimalist kit...

My minimalist will all depend on my budget. I would rather cover my used focal lengths, than have the best of everything.
My cheapest minimalist would start with a t2i and 18-55 IS, for under 400, and a 30 dollar tripod. my next purchase would be a 50 1.8, then an ultra wide (sigma 10-20), then 55-250 IS, and then a 430 ex or 550 ex flash, and finally a macro lens. I like shooting a lot of different things, and would like much of the focal length covered.

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:04 AM
Dark Slider
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · A minimalist kit...

anthonygh wrote:
Some posters, in my opinion, are clearly boasting about what they can afford...others seem to 'need' some genuine exotica.

Minimally, I think the Canon AE1 and 50 1.4 shown earlier would cover it. Anything more and you're clearly just showing off.

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:20 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · A minimalist kit...

gdanmitchell wrote:
With your feet you can move closer to or further from your subject, but you cannot "zoom" with your feet - it isn't the same thing at all.

What constitutes a minimal kit varies depending upon what one is shooting.

Dan, I'll add to you wise prose if you don't mind, there may be other issues then just feet, the ability to actually be mobile, my wheelchair-boundness but one example, access is often a reason for kit variation, zooms aside, we have telephotos and hides for a reason...reach when it is most limited, weight when it's lightness a necessity, robustness when extremes of weather persist as does the shooter. Exceptions yes, but real none the less.

To the OP, perhaps a minimalist kit by genre might be healthier, more descriptive/informative for all, noobs and masters alike.

Flowers, plants, trees and their parts are a fav of mine, most any SLR/DSLR and a 100 macro would be a usable 'minimalist kit, yet my wheels often preclude access, sand, gravel, etc prevent closeness. The a 300mm with T/C and or tubes help get the shot. Even a G12 with close-up accessories can work in a pinch/tight place.

A minimalist kit, why, I've shot for over 4 decades, worked my arse off to feed my hobbies, having a 'working' kit is my goal and I'm near there...for the moment

Jerry

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:30 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · A minimalist kit...

What exactly defines minimalist?
I've never been clear on the definition.

Size/weight
Number of pieces of equipment
Lowest cost
Simplicity
Analog over digital
MF over AF
Primes over Zooms

I guess it really depends upon one's own perspective.

For me I find my Olympus OM-D + 20/1.7 + 45/1.8 a satisfying minimalist kit.

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:36 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · A minimalist kit...

I did work in Tibet and Nepal and used a 5D, 17-35 and a 135 f2. They covered most everything I needed and got better results than if I had more lenses. I also like my Leica M9 with 4 lenses as it and they take up little room and give excellent results.

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

justruss
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · A minimalist kit...

I'm not sure what the animosity is about some of us having kits that we self-define as minimalist-- whether light, small, or few in pieces.

I mean, I read some of the kits here and I think... that's a lot of gear! And read others and think... film!?

I don't read minimalist as better. I read it as different.

To Dan, whom I usually agree with: No, using one's feet isn't a perfect match for zooming a lens, or having multiple focal lengths. But neither is IS for aperture (or vice versa), or post processing for differences in lens construction, or natural for artificial light, or...

But no photographers keep all possible shooting possibilities open by having every single lens, source of light, etc. So at some level we must all decide what gets the job done. And I'd argue that for many shooters using the feet instead of a different focal length can solve many if not most distance/subject perspective issues within reason (walking a few feet forward won't let your 35mm do what your 500mm does; moving closer with your 300mm won't get you want a dedicated macro or MP65 does).

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:16 AM
Access
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · A minimalist kit...

surf monkey wrote:
What exactly defines minimalist?
I've never been clear on the definition.

Minimalism is "when you can't remove anything else". It's basically when all the unnecessary pieces have already been taken away. There's an old saying by (can't remember) "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

In some circles, minimalism as a philosophy might be the norm, but on forums like this, it is rare. But many people who don't follow minimalism as a philosophy do develop a 'minimalist kit' for its own use. Ironically it may be yet another excuse to 'buy more stuff', but with the size-weight-expense thing, it tends to not cost a whole lot, relatively.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:04 AM
mirkoc
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · A minimalist kit...

dhphoto wrote:
If Canon could come up with a G2X with some sort of usable viewfinder, either electronic or properly coupled it would be a world beater IMO

I agree. Add a decent optical wiefinder with af points/zones, weather sealed construction and 24 mm wide end. Same goes for Sony RX100.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:37 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · A minimalist kit...

Dark Slider wrote:
Minimally, I think the Canon AE1 and 50 1.4 shown earlier would cover it. Anything more and you're clearly just showing off.

But if you can't show off on the gear board of a photography forum, well, I guess there's just no place to show off...

Apr 01, 2013 at 02:18 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · A minimalist kit...

Someone needs to define minimal if this discussion is going to mean anything. Are we talking a minimalist philosophy, a work paradigm of the least necessary to get the job done, or just the lightest, smallest least intrusive possible gear possible?

As noted by several, minimal depends on what needs to be done. As a philosophy or approach to an art Wikipedia's definition works well. I'd say that I tend to approach most everything as an effort to get to its core essence or its key aspect, thus minimalist.

Like many of us who began in the age of film I started and continued for quite sometime with an old camera and a single lens. In my case it was an inherited Leica IIIc with a basic 50mm lens. Took a lot of interesting pictures with that kit.

When one faces the professional challenge of getting the shot for publication on a deadline then "minimal" changes. For example, I shoot high school sports for the local paper. The home football field's lighting is so old and so bad that even at ISO 25600 and f/2.8 I'm regularly a stop or two slow. My minimal kit there is a 1DIV and a 70-200L f/2.8 II. (Not very minimalist.)

When I work in the dim gyms of this region, I have to shoot with fast primes to get ISO down to 6400 so I work with a 35L, an 85 f/1.8, and a 135L. Sometimes I can even get ISO down to 3200.

As I turn to my real field of landscape and art photography things get more complex. Yes, I could and did for a long time work without the 24TSE and one doesn't really have to have a macro to get close. Still these tools make things possible that I can't do (or do as well) without them. Can one take pix of landscapes without a tripod? Sure, but the quality is dramatically better if the camera is free of user shake. The list goes on. Every camera I have (2) and every lens I have (10) gets used in specific situations. They never all go along unless I'm out traveling and camping and can keep things in the van.

Like many of you I really would like something compact that gives excellent IQ. I've tried several things with nothing working well (including a G10). The OM-D sounds and looks wonderful. Another camera? Another lens line to deal with? Another how many K$?

Currently for me minimal is a 1DsIII with a 35L on a strap around my neck. Yes, heavy but it reduces photography to an earlier era. Framing, thinking, looking, moving. So I guess minimal is a question of what you minimize. The gear? Then you create the need for more complex thought and action. Maximizing the ability to capture an image without adjusting position, setting, thought requires more complex gear. So once again the discussion of minimal demonstrates that there's "no free lunch." Make the gear simple? The human has to become more complex. Reduce complexity for the human? The gear gets more complicated. Maybe a kid with a cell phone really is the new minimalist.

Robert

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:11 PM
jaymar88

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · A minimalist kit...

5D II, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 is 580 exii and a trigger.

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · A minimalist kit...

OntheRez wrote:
human? The gear gets more complicated. Maybe a kid with a cell phone really is the new minimalist.

Yes, because for what they do (take photos with friends, post on facebook), the cellphone is more or less sufficient. But the cellphone likely wouldn't be sufficient for the majority of the people here.

It has to work without significant changes, not slow you down that much. This is why many aren't so keen on switching from a DSLR to mirrorless or such. It's perfectly possible to get a good photo out of these (I can sometimes even coax a good photo out of my smartphone) but there's more to it than that.

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · A minimalist kit...

OntheRez wrote:
Someone needs to define minimal if this discussion is going to mean anything...
Robert

Who? And would anyone agree? The value of any of these threads is to see a diversity of opinions so we can weigh them against what may work for ourselves perhaps leading to some change that may actually improve our photography. And almost as importantly, for sheer entertainment value - "He thinks thats minimalist ".

The only rules should be no profanity and no character assassination, etc. Discussions on the definition of minimal are to be encouraged

Edit: See I'm making the definition and you all should agree with me - right?

Apr 01, 2013 at 06:59 PM
artd
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · A minimalist kit...

anthonygh wrote:
...what is the least amount of kit needed to create decent images?"

The least amount of kit need to create a decent iamge is exactly one camera plus one lens. It doesn't matter which camera or which lens.

And be happy?

Some people can be happy with one camera plus one lens. Some cannot. So I guess who are we to say how much kit someone needs to make them happy?

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:06 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · A minimalist kit...

If there was a small camera about that did the things I need a DSLR for (lens selection/speed/IQ/etc) I'd buy it. I used to pontificate about a perfect camera being a DSLR with a 1 series capability but minus a grip. I think the 5D3 is that camera. The new 'smallest ever' Rebel is interesting but I like my 5D controls.

If Canon produced a FF camera that was as small or smaller than the latest Rebel AND it had 5D joystick, wheel thingy etc, I'd buy it. I want a small light body. I don't want a silly priced Leica or a bare-bones 'consumer' crop DSLR.

For now I'm happy with the 5D3 and a lens of the day, usually my 50/40/35 and a 270 II for fill. Small bag. I really would like it to be smaller though.

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:28 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password