Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

AJSJones
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

Not quite sure how it happened but I lost the big knurled knob that is used to shift the 24 TS Mk 2 lens. It's held in place by a smaller screw-on bushing type thing that I found in my camera bag but the thing it holds on is missing. I can push the lens to shift it and lock it with the other knob, so it's still functional, but does anyone know where I might find a replacement. I will call Canon on Monday but any online sources out there??
Thanks for any suggestions
Andy

Mar 31, 2013 at 01:36 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

Canon is pretty "tight" with their microfiche, as that's where you'll find the part number and exploded diagrams. I lost the auxiliary plastic knob to the 17mm once and Canon was indeed he only solution to the problem.

It was't expensive to get another one, say $8 including tax, shipping and handling. But, you likely need a metal, machined part which probably costs more? Do post the part number for posterity, when you fix it

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

I'd check with Roger Cicala of lens Rentals. He has likely had to buy them.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:52 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

scalesusa wrote:
I'd check with Roger Cicala of lens Rentals. He has likely had to buy them.

He sure has. There are 3 pieces in the shift knob:

shift knob YB2-2366
shift spring disc YB2-2356
shift makeup knob Yb2-2324

Sounds like the OP needs the knob for certain, but I'm not certain about the other two pieces. The Makeup knob is just the little sticker in the center.

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:18 AM
AJSJones
• • •
p.1 #5 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

Thanks Roger - I have the thing (like a bushing with two threads in it) that screws onto to the shaft (normally holds the knurled knob in place) and the tiny Philips screw that screws into it- just missing the actual knob - sounds like I need to order YB2-2366, right?
I'll be on the road for a few days before I can order this but thanks for the part numbers
Andy

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:39 AM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #6 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

Tag

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:47 AM
jojosung
• • •
p.1 #7 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

Your mkii should come with a spare smaller knob..maybe you can use that in the mean time until the large knob arrive

Apr 03, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BennyR
• • •
p.1 #8 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

Would this be the same for the 17TSE? Where can they be ordered? Canon wants around $180 to service the lens and it really only needs the shift knob.

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:19 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

BennyR wrote:
Would this be the same for the 17TSE? Where can they be ordered? Canon wants around $180 to service the lens and it really only needs the shift knob.

Canon has a direct order line for parts that are sold to consumers. They will cost the same or less there.

Genuine Canon replacement service parts, including inkjet printer print heads are available to purchase by calling the Canon Parts Order Desk at (866) 481-2569. Please note that for both product safety and optimal product operation most service parts should be installed only by a Canon authorized service provider.

Apr 04, 2013 at 04:57 PM
BennyR
• • •
p.1 #10 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

Thanks scalesusa.

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:08 AM
AJSJones
• • •
p.1 #11 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

Just thought I'd update - finally got around to replacing the big knob (it worked sorta without it) . Canon Parts Order Desk at (866) 481-2569 no waiting on hold, person was very helpful. Part price was $19.75.......

Jan 31, 2014 at 07:01 PM
AJSJones
• • •
p.1 #12 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

Upate 2.

The part the person told me I needed, after I made it clear I needed to replace the SHIFT knob, arrived labelled "YB2-2366 Knob, Tilt." I had understood her to say or imply that it was the same part for both. The TILT knob does NOT fit the SHIFT mechanism. I still don't know what the part number is for the SHIFT knob.

Rather than go through the hassle of dealing with Canon again, and maybe have to shell out another $30 or so after tax and shipping, I decided I could modify it to fit!
(No pictures, but I replaced the "cross-bar" with a narrower gauge piece that fit in the "slot" in the knob, and filed the base of the knob and drilled out the main hole so the screw thread appeared inside the outer part of the knob and could then engage the bushing that has the female thread in to secure the knob. It's a little tight in its gear motion but it is far easier to operate now than it was before all this

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:03 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

Andy, I'm glad to hear you got the larger knob to fit. I hope it clears the flash of your 7D on rotation of the lens, but you will probably never use it on that body, but rather exclusively on the 5DII. Something to consider if you ever go the route of Sony A7R/metabones.
Mike K

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:16 PM
AJSJones
• • •
p.1 #14 · Replacement knurled knob for TS lens?

I had not thought of putting it on the 7D - you're right. However, possibly because I had to file the bottom flange of the knob to be able to secure it, the knob now does not hit the 7D's flash hump - sits under there with maybe mm clearance. Now it has "added value"!

Anyone else trying to replace their knurled knob may just need to be stubborn when talking to the parts dept - I had thought I was crystal clear ""SHIFT knob for MK 2 24 TS-E" but hey, it works now

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password