Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Canon part and where to order?

Wahoowa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon part and where to order?

Dropped my iPhone about 6-inch high onto my 5D3. It cracked the top plastic LCD cover. I'm not really bothered with the crack, but I'm concerned about when I shoot in the rain and such. Canon wants $219 plus tax to replace it (before 30% discount).

I wonder where I can check the part number and where to order. Thank you.

Edited on Mar 30, 2013 at 08:39 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2013 at 08:31 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon part and where to order?

Clear packaging tape will seal the cracked glass until you can get it replaced. As for ordering the part, no clue, and given the 5D3's weather sealing I'd wonder if the cover and LCD aren't actually glued together...idk

Mar 30, 2013 at 08:37 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon part and where to order?

I believe the top LCD cover for 5D III is part # CB3-7693. It definitely is a separate piece. If you haven't removed one before heating with a hair dryer loosens the glue a bit. Be careful not to scratch the LCD below or you get an expensive repair.

email is canonparts at cusa.canon.com I don't have the phone number handy.

Mar 30, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon part and where to order?

StillFingerz wrote:
Clear packaging tape will seal the cracked glass until you can get it replaced. As for ordering the part, no clue, and given the 5D3's weather sealing I'd wonder if the cover and LCD aren't actually glued together...idk

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd prefer a sorta permanent solution as getting any water leaking inside could be a disaster.

RCicala wrote:
I believe the top LCD cover for 5D III is part # CB3-7693. It definitely is a separate piece. If you haven't removed one before heating with a hair dryer loosens the glue a bit. Be careful not to scratch the LCD below or you get an expensive repair.

email is canonparts at cusa.canon.com I don't have the phone number handy.

Thanks for the info!!! I google it from you info and it turns out that the number is 866-481-2569. So, can I just call them and order the part?

I expected this to be like $30 repair and thought Canon would charge at most $60 or so for it after 30% discount.

Mar 30, 2013 at 09:28 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon part and where to order?

The part is inexpensive but the proper way to do it (remove the top assembly from the camera, remove the LCD from the top assembly, push out the LCD window from the inside, replace the window, reassemble everything, then do a full test on the camera since it's been largely disassemgled) is pretty time consuming. To remove the top assembly you have to remove the back assembly and the front plate, then disconnect about a dozen wires and flexes, etc. Takes a couple of hours to take everything apart, put it back together, and test the camera afterwards.

But you can get the window off from the outside -- of course you're taking a bit of risk doing that if you scratch the actual LCD while getting the cover unglued.

I don't want to be a repair apologist, but I do this kind of repair all day on our gear. Unless it's something like replacing a battery door, there aren't many quick repairs these days.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM
intru_52
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon part and where to order?

Same thing happened to mine, sent it to Canon and they fixed it for $50 with CPS discount.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon part and where to order?

intru_52 wrote:
Same thing happened to mine, sent it to Canon and they fixed it for $50 with CPS discount.

Say what? I sent it in and they asked for $162.50 after discount.

Edited on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon part and where to order?

intru_52 wrote:

Is everyone dropping iPhones on DSLRs now?

EBH

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM
intru_52
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon part and where to order?

No - I was on vacation in Europe and dropped my camera bag from the top of a table. I guess I was at the point of exhaustion so wasn't as careful.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:20 AM
intru_52
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon part and where to order?

Found my repair sheet, I was charged $79 minus CPS discount for an "Out of Warranty Minor Labor Chagre" and the part replaced was "WINDOW, OLC" CB3-7693-000. Again this was for a 5D Mark III LCD top cover.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon part and where to order?

intru_52 wrote:
Found my repair sheet, I was charged $79 minus CPS discount for an "Out of Warranty Minor Labor Chagre" and the part replaced was "WINDOW, OLC" CB3-7693-000. Again this was for a 5D Mark III LCD top cover.

If you could get a scan of it, I'd very much appreciate it. I think I can send questions along with the documents to a supervisor that I have talked and ask why difference on charges. Thank you.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM
intru_52
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon part and where to order?

Sent!

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon part and where to order?

It depends on whom you talk to and whom analyzes the equipment, as to what you'll be charged.

Sorry to hear that you boogered up your camera. Thankfully, I break parts that I can order from adorama...stupid eye cups.

Mar 31, 2013 at 01:58 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon part and where to order?

intru_52 wrote:
Sent!

Thank you so much! That helps a lot!

One more odd thing is you didn't have to pay tax when you picked it up, while I live in PA and shipped it to NJ and they'll charge tax.

RobertLynn wrote:
It depends on whom you talk to and whom analyzes the equipment, as to what you'll be charged.

Sorry to hear that you boogered up your camera. Thankfully, I break parts that I can order from adorama...stupid eye cups.

Thanks for your kind words, Robert.

I think that's the case. In my area, we need to send items to the facility in Jamesburg, NJ, while they handle all the calls in Newport News, VA. So, the customer service in VA can only respond as what people in NJ tell them.

I think it's possible that someone in the process thought the whole LCD unit had to be replaced, hence, the high cost.

I've sent an email to a supervisor in VA to see what he has to say about it. I included the picture above, my estimate and intru_52's invoice.

Mar 31, 2013 at 03:34 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon part and where to order?

Wahoowa wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd prefer a sorta permanent solution as getting any water leaking inside could be a disaster.

Thanks for the info!!! I google it from you info and it turns out that the number is 866-481-2569. So, can I just call them and order the part?

I expected this to be like $30 repair and thought Canon would charge at most $60 or so for it after 30% discount.

Yes you can place order over the phone.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:01 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon part and where to order?

Wahoowa wrote:
Thank you so much! That helps a lot!

One more odd thing is you didn't have to pay tax when you picked it up, while I live in PA and shipped it to NJ and they'll charge tax.

Thanks for your kind words, Robert.

I think that's the case. In my area, we need to send items to the facility in Jamesburg, NJ, while they handle all the calls in Newport News, VA. So, the customer service in VA can only respond as what people in NJ tell them.

I think it's possible that someone in the process thought the whole LCD unit
...Show more

The VA call center is a joke.

Yeah, in our area everything goes to Jamesburg. To send stuff to Jamesburg UPS ground is 1 day shipping (I'm 45 minutes away from you). The turn around at Jamesburg is fast.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon part and where to order?

RobertLynn wrote:

Yeah, in our area everything goes to Jamesburg. To send stuff to Jamesburg UPS ground is 1 day shipping (I'm 45 minutes away from you). The turn around at Jamesburg is fast.

Not quite sure what I'm hoping for. The best case scenario is probably they say they'll charge the same price as intru_52 was. But it's more likely that I'll have to pay shipping back to them again, which cost me $30 fully insured.

I don't know if it'd be much simpler if I order the part and do it myself. I'm generally good with my hands with delicate works.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:15 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon part and where to order?

RobertLynn wrote:

As much as I'd love to be able to disagree with that statement, I cannot because my experiences have been underwhelming in the 3 times I have dealt with the VA service center. Hope the OP gets his repair done correctly and at a reasonable cost.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon part and where to order?

mitesh wrote:
As much as I'd love to be able to disagree with that statement, I cannot because my experiences have been underwhelming in the 3 times I have dealt with the VA service center. Hope the OP gets his repair done correctly and at a reasonable cost.

My experiences before this weren't that good either.

I sent in a lens in for checking and asked them to tighten the barrel a little as it was a little loose. They claimed it needed to be repaired because it appeared to have some blemishes near the filter thread that they diagnosed them as 'impact' marks. It had to be repaired, otherwise they wouldn't touch the lens for anything else. It'd cost me around $130 or so after 30% discount, but they promised that the top barrel so that the blemishes would go away.

The lens came back with no parts replaced.

I called a supervisor that I talked to before agreeing with the repair that he confirmed the part would be replaced. It's a good thing that I talked to him because he recalled about it. He asked me to send in pictures to confirm that it wasn't replaced. And so he refunded what I paid.

And then there was another issue with my friend who sent in a camera for cleaning and it came back broken! The first time he sent it in, it came back with a broken memory compartment. The memory card went in, but it wouldn't come back out. He had to send it back. Then, it came back with another problem--the camera couldn't be turn off.

So far, I have not been impressed with Canon customer service. I have heard good things about them in the past, but my own experiences have not been good. The new stuff coming out from them didn't drive me away from them, but their customer service just might.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:28 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon part and where to order?

The whole idea of a call center is sort of lame. The people on the phone often don't have the same equipment as you do, or experience with it. I'm not knocking on them, because as human beings they may be wonderful people. As tech support, it's about as helpful as calling Dell or HP...not good.

The service centers are excellent for their work. I generally have no problems with the service, and if I do, they are quick to rectify it. Really quick when they screwed up and sent me someone else's 1DSmkiii when I only sent a 1Diii to them lol.

Wahoowa, I'm not sure if you're a business or not, but if you are and you're insured...you may already be covered under insurance for shipping it. Shipping to Jamesburg via UPS shouldn't cost more than $15 with the weight of a 5D3 box

I'll have to remember that you're in SC and come up there sometime. Shoot the breeze, get some coffee and maybe if we can line anyone up, photograph them too. If we could find a few others local to the area, maybe have a meet up.

Mar 31, 2013 at 06:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.