FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

iammikie wrote:
I have the RRS MH-01 however found one that I personally prefer over that model. It is a small video head, the Manfrotto 701...

The 701 is more than three times the weight of the MH-01, and I wouldn't want the handle, but "to each, his own".

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:25 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

iammikie wrote:
I have the RRS MH-01 however found one that I personally prefer over that model. It is a small video head, the Manfrotto 701. I prefer it because it can be either locked down or offer a very smooth movement up or down. Although the specs say a 9 lb load, I use it with the 500 and 600 Canon Version II lenses without issue. Another benefit is the ability to brace the panning handle against your shoulder or chest. To make it functional, I added a Kirk quick release plate.

If interested, here it is: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/556159-REG/Manfrotto_701HDV_701HDV_Pro_Fluid_Video.html

It's not strong enough to handle any of the big tele lenses.

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:31 AM
iammikie
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Lars Johnsson wrote:
It's not strong enough to handle any of the big tele lenses.

I use it with the 1DX and 500 & 600 II lenses without issue, have you used it?

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:39 AM
iammikie
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

jcolwell wrote:
The 701 is more than three times the weight of the MH-01, and I wouldn't want the handle, but "to each, his own".

Agree that it heavier, however the main disadvantage of the RRS head is that it is basically a lock down device which does not move smoothly. Different strokes for different folks.

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

iammikie wrote:
I use it with the 1DX and 500 & 600 II lenses without issue, have you used it?

With those lenses you are over the maximum load capacity. I would belive Manfrotto know how much it can handle. And the maximum load capacity is always a bit higher then what's really good to use with a head. It's a Mini head and that's not what you need for the largest tele lenses.
This is what Manfrotto say:
"Developed specifically to support the latest prosumer and professional light, compact HD camcorder"

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM
iammikie
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Lars Johnsson wrote:
With those lenses you are over the maximum load capacity. I would belive Manfrotto know how much it can handle. And the maximum load capacity is always a bit higher then what's really good to use with a head. It's a Mini head and that's not what you need for the largest tele lenses.
This is what Manfrotto say:
"Developed specifically to support the latest prosumer and professional light, compact HD camcorder"

It works fine on a monopod, and I never use it totally locked down. It is very sturdy, in my opinion more stable than the RRS head and I have both. YMMV.

As far as load capacity, most engineers (my early career) design with a minimum safety factor of 2X to 3X, so I would doubt that they have overstated anything.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

The RRS head is rated for a load capacity of 75.0 lb / 34kg.
The Manfrotto is rated for a load capacity of 8.8 lbs / 4kg.

And the Manfrotto is more stable than the RRS
Then the Manfrotto have a 2x to 3x safety factor also. It means the RRS don't have any safety factor. But instead it must be rated about eight or ten times higher than it actually can load

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM
iammikie
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Lars Johnsson wrote:
The RRS head is rated for a load capacity of 75.0 lb / 34kg.
The Manfrotto is rated for a load capacity of 8.8 lbs / 4kg.

And the Manfrotto is more stable than the RRS
Then the Manfrotto have a 2x to 3x safety factor also. It means the RRS don't have any safety factor. But instead it must be rated about eight or ten times higher than it actually can load

Lars, reading specs and using equipment I have found to be two very different situations. I have stated my opinions, you have stated yours. The advantage of the fluid head is movement, if that is not important in your use, than it really does not matter. Either one will work and neither will collapse under the extreme weight of a pro body camera and telephoto lens, at least mine has not to date and I have been using it for about a year. Like much of the gear that we use today, all that matters is how we like what we use.

As far as my comment on stability, I stated that I do not use the head fully locked down, and in that situation the fluid head is, in my opinion, more stable.

Edited on Mar 31, 2013 at 03:01 PM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Does same thing...but I believe (have not looked) it is rater to a higher load capacity that the RRS one...

Also, I found the Acratech version used in mint condition for $100 or so...

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:00 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

iammikie,
First let me say that I'm not interested in arguing with you on the differences between these heads. But I am concerned that others reading your post might misinterpret the facts regarding these two heads.

The safe loads for the two head which you and Lars have discussed is NOT a matter of opinion. It is a matter of FACT and the manufacturer's stated engineering specifications.

The opinion that you state is thus ONLY valid to state your choice to use the 701 head anyway, disregarding the manufacturer's specifications. So it would seem that you would want to make sure others know the risks they are taking when using the 701 head with heavy (over 8+ #'s) equipment.

hth

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Rodney O wrote:
iammikie,
First let me say that I'm not interested in arguing with you on the differences between these heads. But I am concerned that others reading your post might misinterpret the facts regarding these two heads.

The safe loads for the two head which you and Lars have discussed is NOT a matter of opinion. It is a matter of FACT and the manufacturer's stated engineering specifications.

The opinion that you state is thus ONLY valid to state your choice to use the 701 head anyway, disregarding the manufacturer's specifications. So it would seem that you would want to make sure others
...Show more

+1

Manfrotto also have ten other fluid video heads that are stronger and have higher load capacity. So I don't understand why using this head that is made for light equipment then ?

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Hi Peter,

Looks like you already have plenty of feedback, and the conversation may be devolving, but...

I am very happy with the MH-01head on a Gitzo monopod with a 300 2.8 ii + 2x TC. Not the same fluidity of motion compared to a gimbal (or sidekick), but incredibly portable, and much much much better than a ballhead. I prefer the thumbscrew to the lever on the clamp, but I do have to remember which is which.

Greg

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:55 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Thank you all again, it seems that MH-01 has no dissatisfied users, although some alternative monopod heads were mentioned as well.

My requirements are quite simple: get the tilt feature so I can shoot a target high up, and also the head must be ruggedly built so it can safely and positively support the heaviest of Canon setups.

For that kinda application I'd normally use tripod/gimbal support, it is just that the weight of it gets to be a pain if I have to carry it day after day.......therefore, a monopod would give me an occasional reprieve from the drudgery. If the action was more level, I'd do fine handholding the setup for up to two hours or so, as long as the arm supporting the lens can also rest on my chest. Once that chest support is lost because of an elevated lens azimuth, then the problems begin.

Mar 31, 2013 at 06:43 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Hope someone can help me understand this. Looking at the MH-01 on the web site, it looks like maybe you could track a moving target if it went upward, and if you didn't have the clamp set too tight. But how would you get the lens to follow downward motion if the target went that way? Wouldn't that just tend to lift the monopod? Or would you push downward on the front end of the lens? Or are monopods only useful in a fixed horizontal plane?

I also don't understand how you track moving subjects around a pivot axis that is in front of you, instead of pivoting with your body. Seems like you would end up dancing around your camera support.

I have never used a monopod, but I'm giving it some thought. Not sure I understand the issues. Any experienced comment appreciated.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

It's not very good for tracking, but you can leave it a little loose.

EBH

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

splathrop wrote:
Hope someone can help me understand this. Looking at the MH-01 on the web site, it looks like maybe you could track a moving target if it went upward, and if you didn't have the clamp set too tight. But how would you get the lens to follow downward motion if the target went that way? Wouldn't that just tend to lift the monopod? Or would you push downward on the front end of the lens? Or are monopods only useful in a fixed horizontal plane?

I also don't understand how you track moving subjects around a pivot axis that is
...Show more

When using the MH-01 you follow the target in exactly the same way as you do when not using a head Most people don't use heads with monpods. And you just turn your camera/lens. 99% of the time you don't have to lift the monopod, it will turn without any problem. A monopod is not stable like a tripod with 3 legs. You can turn or lean it in your direction. Look at all the photographers shooting sport with long lenses and monopods.

Apr 01, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Lars Johnsson wrote:
When using the MH-01 you follow the target in exactly the same way as you do when not using a head Most people don't use heads with monpods. And you just turn your camera/lens. 99% of the time you don't have to lift the monopod, it will turn without any problem. A monopod is not stable like a tripod with 3 legs. You can turn or lean it in your direction. Look at all the photographers shooting sport with long lenses and monopods.

+1

At least for me, the MH-01 ability to pivot or hinge serves to let me be set to a better "ready" angle when the subject is not on the same plane as the camera. It's particularly useful along a stream bank looking down to the water, on a hillside, etc.

And it sure helps by holding the weight of the lens-camera in a ready position while I wait for the shot to develop when I either don't have or don't want a tripod.

And there seems to be no problem in tracking a moving subject, but remember it is not a stable tripod with a gimbal mount. The monopod is a helper device. You're not really going to use it for night time long exposures.

Apr 01, 2013 at 01:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Lars Johnsson wrote:

Rodney O wrote:
+1

At least for me, the MH-01 ability to pivot or hinge serves to let me be set to a better "ready" angle when the subject is not on the same plane as the camera. It's particularly useful along a stream bank looking down to the water, on a hillside, etc.

And it sure helps by holding the weight of the lens-camera in a ready position while I wait for the shot to develop when I either don't have or don't want a tripod.

And there seems to be no problem in tracking a moving subject, but remember it is
...Show more

+1

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

EB-1 wrote:
It's not very good for tracking, but you can leave it a little loose.

EBH

That's why I switched to a lever QR clamp on my MH-01. If the subject starts to move fast or in a direction not anticipated, I quickly release the monopod/head and track it handheld.

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:01 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Thanks to all for the feedback. It's helpful.

Maybe some context will help with my question. I have been trying to do some birds-in-flight shots of sea ducks. They fly fast (50-100 mph, really) and at the place I like to shoot the angle to distant ducks is almost straight-in, but then they pass 30-100 feet away as they go by. Meaning that as the ducks get close there is a tremendous sense of acceleration, and a need for a fast controlled pivot to shoot them at the closest point of approach. The closer birds sometimes just get ahead of me. I'm guessing it's like shooting motor sports from close to the track. Can a monopod help with that, or is that strictly a hand-held challenge?

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:31 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.