New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

I am addressing this question to shooters of Canon long lenses who own and use RRS MH-01 monopod head: Do you have any reservations about the product, or have you experienced any limitations/ issues in product use ?

I have always mounted my lenses on monopods rigidly, however, this summer I might be shooting upwards with the longest lens combos more often than usual, and I may not always feel like carrying a tripod or shooting handheld. Therefore, I need a high grade monopod head that can take 800L or 600 II with TCs. The RRS MH-01 seems to have a very good reputation, so that would be my first choice.
(I've found an active raptor's nest in a nice and quiet setting, except it is 60-70 ft up a tree. )

Edited on Mar 30, 2013 at 07:08 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

I have been using one since it was available on a 500 & 600. No problems with either lens and just as dependable as any head I have owned.

I don't use a tripod with these lenses anymore so if I'm not HH I use this head and a Gitzo Monopod.

Jim

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:27 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

That is the main purpose of the MH-01, so yes, it works very well. The wear and tear on your fingers is greatly reduced compared to some alternatives.

EBH

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:34 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

I use an MH-01 with my Canon 500 f4L IS at airshows and for birds in flight. Would be useful in open vehicles in southern Africa. This head is top quality and a joy to use.

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:49 PM
roboticspro
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Hi Peter,

I also use one with the FD 400 f2.8L and FD 800 f5.6L. I have the thumbscrew release instead of the lever (QR) style, but either one is good. The point is that you have zero-roll but "adjustable" drag on the tilt is wonderful, unlike a ballhead (I had been using an Arca Monoball previously). I am replacing the surveyors spike foot on the mono-pod with a four-place cane/crutch foot to help with the lateral twist which sometimes troubles me.

Hope this helps, and Happy Easter to you and your family...

Regards,

Edd

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:03 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Thank you, gents.
Edd, happy Easter to you and yours.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Don Clary wrote:
I use an MH-01 with my Canon 500 f4L IS at airshows and for birds in flight. Would be useful in open vehicles in southern Africa. This head is top quality and a joy to use.

Yes, I've done a bit of that. I really prefer other means, but in some vehicles there are no good rails for support. The large knobs and smooth action on the MH-01 are really nice.

EBH

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:15 PM
johnip
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

I've got one with the QR. It's very handy and couldn't get much simpler with just the one big knob! Easy to tighten down and it doesn't budge. Works great for photographing birds at local fields and scrubby areas.

I do find it difficult to maneuver the lens while pointing upwards more than 30 degrees or so though. That's a general monopod issue though I guess. Once you get all the weight tilted back off the pod it gets unwieldy.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:21 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

johnip wrote:
I do find it difficult to maneuver the lens while pointing upwards more than 30 degrees or so though. That's a general monopod issue though I guess. Once you get all the weight tilted back off the pod it gets unwieldy.

I try my best not to shoot upwards for three main reasons:

(1) Bird perspective is seldom as pleasing as in a more level capture.
(2) Sky is often a major part of the background.
(3) The strain of upward shooting with hand-held lenses such as 800L becomes too much quickly. Along those lines, my lens hold steadiness deteriorates quickly as well.

However, here and there I get tempted to do it.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:36 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Hey Peter, not sure but the item linked below might be an alternative to the RSS head, just not sure it will work on a monopod. This shop is local to me, I've got one of their GP ball heads and it's made quite well...IMHO...not sure this helps but it looks interesting

Acratech Long Lens Head
http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=10

Mar 30, 2013 at 08:49 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Thank you, Jerry....that head also appears well made.

Mar 30, 2013 at 09:03 PM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

I use this with a v1 500, QR version and really like it. Nice amount of drag and easy to set the balance point. Holds fast when locked down and I have no concerns tossing the monopod over the shoulder with lens and camera attached.

I've been thinking about moving to the MH-02, but since most of my use of the monopod is with long or longish lenses I question the value.

Mar 30, 2013 at 09:29 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

I use it with my 800 lens. I'm very pleased with it. I bought it 2009 so I have used it a long time. Mainly on my Gitzo GM 5541 and Manfrotto 681B monopods

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

I use it with my 500/4L IS. It's a great product.

The only problem that I've ever had with it is that, when using a screw clamp with the screw on the same side of the head as the elevation adjustment knob (see link), I jammed my thumb between the two screw clamp knobs. Ouch! My frst solution was to turn the clamp so its knob was on the other side. More recently, I've replaced the screw clamp with a lever clamp, which lets me quickly drop the monopod off the lens for handheld shooting, if things start to move fast.

screw clamp on MH-01 http://tinyurl.com/6n8cmmy

Mar 31, 2013 at 06:29 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Another vote for the Acratech version - mounted on a Gitzo CF monopd...

Acratech Long Lens Head

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=10

Mar 31, 2013 at 06:32 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

Thank you, gents.

Good feedback, Jim....gotta remember that, although I am not sure if the RRS lever clamp will work as nicely on 4th GD and Jobu replacement feet ?

Robert, the Acratech head is significantly more expensive......I wonder what its advantage is over the RRS head ?

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:21 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

PetKal wrote:
...I am not sure if the RRS lever clamp will work as nicely on 4th GD and Jobu replacement feet ?

The RRS lever clamp works fine on my 4GD CP-42 Lens foot for EF 300/2.8L IS, and all of my Hejnar short and long rails (used for macro sliders & etc.).

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:50 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

PetKal wrote:
Thank you, gents.

Good feedback, Jim....gotta remember that, although I am not sure if the RRS lever clamp will work as nicely on 4th GD and Jobu replacement feet ?

The lever clamp works on the 4th generation, but the screw type clamp is so much nicer.

EBH

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:10 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

johnip wrote:
I've got one with the QR. It's very handy and couldn't get much simpler with just the one big knob! Easy to tighten down and it doesn't budge. Works great for photographing birds at local fields and scrubby areas.

And hence the advantage of a tripod with a full Wimberly head.

EBH

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:11 AM
iammikie
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RRS MH-01: Canon long lens shooters' feedback

I have the RRS MH-01 however found one that I personally prefer over that model. It is a small video head, the Manfrotto 701. I prefer it because it can be either locked down or offer a very smooth movement up or down. Although the specs say a 9 lb load, I use it with the 500 and 600 Canon Version II lenses without issue. Another benefit is the ability to brace the panning handle against your shoulder or chest. To make it functional, I added a Kirk quick release plate.

If interested, here it is: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/556159-REG/Manfrotto_701HDV_701HDV_Pro_Fluid_Video.html

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:16 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.