Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · #547 Boy in a Cage

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #547 Boy in a Cage

I had to promise the Mother of this little boy not to reveal their names... She does not wish a visit from social services. She was present before, during, & after the shoot... Thank you for taking a look... Jim

Boy in a Cage

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:24 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #547 Boy in a Cage

This is so distrubing. Why would her child be in a cage...and so clean which makes me think this might be his place when she can't control him. Scary...and yes,Taboo

Mar 31, 2013 at 06:36 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #547 Boy in a Cage

CDalessandro wrote:
This is so distrubing. Why would her child be in a cage...and so clean which makes me think this might be his place when she can't control him. Scary...and yes,Taboo

Thank you. We had old, ratty clothing but the boy refused to wear them. Jim

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:30 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #547 Boy in a Cage

when a staged shot can evoke an emotional reaction such as this...that is the mark of a well executed photograph. It makes us realize that this happens in the real world. Taboo indeed.

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:31 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #547 Boy in a Cage

Travis Rhoads wrote:
when a staged shot can evoke an emotional reaction such as this...that is the mark of a well executed photograph. It makes us realize that this happens in the real world. Taboo indeed.

Travis; I am torn between being proud of the image and ashamed of having taken it. I am glad you found it thought provoking. Jim

Apr 01, 2013 at 09:07 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #547 Boy in a Cage

There are times when the theme for the WA will challenge all of us, sometimes our idea might challenge what our core beliefs are, but those images can be very striking. I remember back to two taken by Mark Fadely of a homeless man sleeping on a bench, and one of a dog in a shelter that was awaiting being euthanized...they are haunting, thought provoking and reminders of the often cruel world we live in...at least for your image our brain can reason that this scene was setup...but all too often it could be reality.

Apr 01, 2013 at 09:09 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #547 Boy in a Cage

Jim , what a disturbing image!! Sad and horrifying to think such things really happen. You definitely struck a taboo cord with this one.

Birdie

Apr 01, 2013 at 09:13 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #547 Boy in a Cage

Travis Rhoads wrote:
There are times when the theme for the WA will challenge all of us, sometimes our idea might challenge what our core beliefs are, but those images can be very striking. I remember back to two taken by Mark Fadely of a homeless man sleeping on a bench, and one of a dog in a shelter that was awaiting being euthanized...they are haunting, thought provoking and reminders of the often cruel world we live in...at least for your image our brain can reason that this scene was setup...but all too often it could be reality.

Travis; Normally I see the assignment and start planing. But in this case the idea's where so vulgar, insensitive, and crass that I hesitated. I remember Marks image well as it made me ill to think that but for the grace of God goes I... I grew up extremely poor and lived in neighborhoods where homeless were common. Art imitating life can really sucks. Jim

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:58 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #547 Boy in a Cage

birdied wrote:
Jim , what a disturbing image!! Sad and horrifying to think such things really happen. You definitely struck a taboo cord with this one.

Birdie

Birdie; thank you. This is one time that saying my image is disturbing is actually a good thing... .. Sorry, but levity is a form of release for me.. Jim

Apr 01, 2013 at 01:00 PM
jban99
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #547 Boy in a Cage

Good picture Jim!
A very well executed depiction of a very “Taboo” abuse to children.

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:53 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #547 Boy in a Cage

jban99 wrote:
Good picture Jim!
A very well executed depiction of a very “Taboo” abuse to children.

Thank you so much.. Jim

Apr 01, 2013 at 10:11 PM
JHC
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #547 Boy in a Cage

The lock...for security and the spiderman...for comfort, really take it over the top.

-John

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:14 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #547 Boy in a Cage

beetlefang wrote:
The lock...for security and the spiderman...for comfort, really take it over the top.

-John

Thanks, John. I wasn't sure if the spiderman would even be noticed.

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:07 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.