Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Underworld

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Underworld

Beautifully composed!

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:28 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Underworld

Mark,
Absolutely blown away by this shot! Bravo!

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Underworld

This is incredible, and crazy at the same time. One image out of 24 shots. I wonder how long it took you to process/blend this image? It's beautiful, that's for sure, but wouldn't you be able to achieve the same with say aperture 11? At 14mm, even at F/8 on a FF sensor everything is in focus from the distance of around 0.46m (1.5 feet)
At f/16 all becomes in focus with a super wide lens like this. Why would you focus bracket?
I'm not trying to question your abilities or something, just trying learn what's the benefit of doing this. I get that lenses perform better and produce better images at lower apertures, usually between f/5.6 and f/11 but even at f/8 you could achieve such sharpness....

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:03 PM
MDBarrett
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Underworld

Thank you for sharing your technique. Great to learn more and a terrific image!

Mike

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Underworld

Sneakyracer wrote:
I really like the 14mm L II and its my go to lens for interiors. I use it often at f11 and its stunningly sharp. I was surprised to read that you used it at f5.6. Did you try the shot at f11?

Thank you for your feedback. And others questions on sharpness. I agree f/11 is a good choice, but in my tests I have found the lens sharpest at 5.6. (2 stops from wide open) but of course this does not always give the best DOF. Thus the bracketing. I think f/11 is sharp enough for most applications. I often do really big enlargements so I am sometimes admittedly a little obsessed with detail. I think if a person does not regularly make images larger than maybe 30 inches, it is not an issue.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:30 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Underworld

First of all, thank you everyone for the comments, feedback and compliments.

Justin Grimm wrote:
Great shot Mark! Wicked looking location and composition. What is that on the ground?

Jim, focus bracketing isn't as hard as you would think. I do it all the time for live macro subjects so it needs to be done a lot faster then for stationary landscapes. A tilt-shift would not help for this specific scene though (one of the few cases it wouldn't), mainly because there are rocks above and below you need to get in focus. Tilting the lens only really helps when you have a relatively flat horizon line.

Hi Justin. That is mud rolled up. Sometimes after a flash flood through a slot, the mud just coils up like that. It is really cool to see.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:36 PM
denovo2k1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Underworld

Nice one Mark!
Thanks for sharing.

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:41 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Underworld

Gregg B. wrote:
This is incredible, and crazy at the same time. One image out of 24 shots. I wonder how long it took you to process/blend this image? It's beautiful, that's for sure, but wouldn't you be able to achieve the same with say aperture 11? At 14mm, even at F/8 on a FF sensor everything is in focus from the distance of around 0.46m (1.5 feet)
At f/16 all becomes in focus with a super wide lens like this. Why would you focus bracket?
I'm not trying to question your abilities or something, just trying learn what's the benefit of doing this.
...Show more

As far as duration and labor, the process is not as labor-some as it may sound. I will have an instructional video on it coming out in the next few weeks. You basically have 3 groups (good exposure, dark exposure and bright exposure) and you do the exact same thing to each. I use the Layer Style "Blend If" sliders to easily pull in better highlights. I sometimes do this for better shadows too (though not as often). I have figured out a way to use the sliders to LOCALIZE the blending right where I want it. For one group of three exposures, this usually takes not much more than a minute or two. You then just repeat the exact same steps for each group (how ever many focus brackets you did). Of course, if the dynamic range is not really wide, the exposure blending is not necessary (or maybe just a healing of the highlights only, which is more common). I think I spent maybe 15-25 minutes on this image.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Underworld

Mark Metternich wrote:
As far as duration and labor, the process is not as labor-some as it may sound. I will have an instructional video on it coming out in the next few weeks. You basically have 3 groups (good exposure, dark exposure and bright exposure) and you do the exact same thing to each. I use the Layer Style "Blend If" sliders to easily pull in better highlights. I sometimes do this for better shadows too (though not as often). I have figured out a way to use the sliders to LOCALIZE the blending right where I want it. For one
...Show more

This is great. I'll definitely check your video out. Thank you for recording it.

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Underworld

ckcarr wrote:
Excellent shot Mark!

So, I guess you would not take one step further because of damage to the fragile curled mud? Because I wouldn't. Fortunately, I'm assuming it's your own secret spot where others never tread?

Thanks much Craig.

I would say that is a good assumption. Another approach might be to rappel down, using a big rock as an anchor and then use ascenders to go back up. Getting ones rappelling skills down can open up a lot of canyoneering opportunities. Most canyoneers are not serious photographers and I believe there are a load of uncharted waters out there for those wanting a venture/adventure.

Apr 01, 2013 at 02:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Underworld

PeakPhoto wrote:
Wow, beautiful shot. I'm road tripping down to the southwest this May and I could only dream of capturing something like this.

Flawless work Mark.

Andy

Good luck on your trip! It is not so much luck as it is hard (yet enjoyable) work. Just get out there aggressively for large chunks of time and you will get that shot! I will typically spend 1-3 weeks out there at a time shooting and scouting every single day (morning noon and night) just sleeping right out of my vehicle. I hope you can budget a great trip.

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:21 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Underworld

I'm waiting for your video. Please shoot me a PM when ready, if you could. I bet I'm more curious about it than other guys

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:35 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Underworld

Gregg B. wrote:
I'm waiting for your video. Please shoot me a PM when ready, if you could. I bet I'm more curious about it than other guys

Will do! Many videos coming. In fact I think I may have figured out how to get past that black screen glitch, so that I can get my "Ultimate Sharpening Workflow for Fine Art Printing" video out!

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Underworld

Spectacular image Mark! Your processing is top notch as always.

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:31 AM
vin14
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Underworld

very nice!

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Gregg B.
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Underworld

This image is eating me alive..... I can't sleep, I can't eat, I have a hard time concentrating, yes, I think I'm in love with it
I'd like to ask you guys, and I think there's no wrongdoing asking questions,WHERE this shot was taken? What location, what canyon? If anyone know its name, I guess, that'd enough information.
Thank you,
I apologize to Mark I don't mean any disrespect, or something. I just would like to go to this place and take some shots. If this is in Arizona, I can be there within one hour.

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Underworld

Mark, it would be interesting to see one original frame to gain an appreciation of the challenge this would be when this view is grabbed with just one shot. Its excellent because it doesn't look at all manipulated (like so many hdr shots). Congratulations!

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Underworld

Dang man, that is off the hook amazing!

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:41 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Underworld

Mark Metternich wrote:
As far as duration and labor, the process is not as labor-some as it may sound. I will have an instructional video on it coming out in the next few weeks. You basically have 3 groups (good exposure, dark exposure and bright exposure) and you do the exact same thing to each. I use the Layer Style "Blend If" sliders to easily pull in better highlights. I sometimes do this for better shadows too (though not as often). I have figured out a way to use the sliders to LOCALIZE the blending right where I want it. For one
...Show more

I am eager to see your write up on this as well. Do you know if the steps are compatible with Photoshop CS5.1?

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:17 AM
vibhav
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Underworld

excellent picture, Mark... very unique and beautifully done!

I do exposure bracketing quite a bit and am interested in looking at your technique. Can you please point me to your "blend if" technique if you have it posted somewhere? Thanks!

edit: I just noticed in your other response to the post that you are in the process of creating a video. I would love to check it out. Thanks!

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:39 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password