Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

Thinking about my stuff (on the day of a shoot, as always), I notice while shooting that I miss things. Stuff like...exact timing for a kiss or facial expression. By the time I'm pointing the camera in the right direction and in focus, the expression/action has changed. Other times I catch it in time but the camera misses focus. And then some other moments get captured, but not necessarily at the best angle.

Things like dad/mom hugs/looks/tears/etc..., moving expressions, and so on...

I guess I'm just wondering if other people feel that way, what you have done to reduce the frequency, etc...

Not looking for flames. Been a while since I started a thread, I do get burnt out on certain types of "feedback."

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:40 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

Heck ya... we all 'miss' moments. Show me a wedding tog that thinks he/she is perfect/does a perfect wedding... I'll show you a deluded fool... Ed K.

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:13 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

Of course we all miss moments. There is a delay between when you see something and when you shoot something, and it is longer if the camera isn't at your eye ready to go already, pre-focused.

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:19 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

Of course we al miss stuff but I think the trick is trying to anticipate WHEN the moment will happen so you have the camera on your eye ready to go. Still working on that.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

Everyone does, the pj guys are haunted by that prize winning shots they have missed. Often I feel like a big part of the tiredness I feel from shooting weddings comes from the stress of being 'always on' looking for these shots.

Street photography is good for helping anticipation.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:36 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

Yes, I feel I miss moments a lot. Part of it is I shoot all manual exposure and often I feel - and have been told this by people I shoot with - that I have my head down messing with the cameras more than I'm looking up at what's going on around me. Plus, I'm an all-primes shooter and constantly switching lenses all day and this doesn't help me to be ready to shoot quickly at varying distances.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

D. Diggler wrote:
Yes, I feel I miss moments a lot. Part of it is I shoot all manual exposure and often I feel - and have been told this by people I shoot with - that I have my head down messing with the cameras more than I'm looking up at what's going on around me. Plus, I'm an all-primes shooter and constantly switching lenses all day and this doesn't help me to be ready to shoot quickly at varying distances.

This is the number one reason I use zooms and aperture priority in uncontrolled situations, I'd rather get the shot and pull/push it in post later than not get it at all.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:52 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

Thanks, at least I'm not alone :| Off too a wedding now.

Mar 30, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Nektario K
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

chimping at the body and changing lenses..man..what are you going to catch with that..You know sometimes you have to put your 'hobbiyism' aside and just use the right tools and actually work your domain..
ie: when speeches start.. this is the time to set up your angle and ready to catch teh tear from the bride, the groom or the father.. sitting back eating the soup at that time.. (I have seen that as a guest at a wedding..I knew the tog..and let out a 'psssst') He went up afterwards...looked so bad from my perspective...

Point is anticipation..and Buissnick (sp) had a good point during one of his seminars.. when you see something cute happen during the week..when you see a 'moment' in life and photograph that in your mind.. do a point and shoot with your finger as a reminder to shoot that moment..discreetly preferably..but you train your eye to catch endearing moments

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

Nektario K wrote:
Buissnick (sp) had a good point during one of his seminars.

Speaking of Buissink ...

He advocates a (somewhat controversial) method that he invented for capturing fleeting moments. I saw him talk about it in an online video. It's been a while but, as I recall, it involved shooting in "P" mode and manually adjusting the exposure of the shot by using the camera's exposure compensation. It's designed to be a quick-draw method that allows you to capture fleeting moments you would have otherwise missed. It was interesting what he put forth but would require, as I recall, a good deal of practice to get it right. Seems to work for him.

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

thorne88
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

If my Fuji XPro1 has taught me anything, it's to trust in shutter priority. You can control the aperture with exposure comp and the shutter selection. With this setup, I am usually in the range of f/2 - f/4. This has helped me not focus on the camera setting as much and keep a closer eye on what is going on around me. I haven't toyed with it much on my Canons, but it has worked well with the Fuji.

Mar 31, 2013 at 01:39 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

We all miss stuff, the trick is in anticipating and learning when moments are going to happen.

When I was first starting out I'd always breath a sigh of relief when the speeches were over and put my camera down. I soon learned that was the time to pick it up as you you nearly always get an emotional hug etc. I think as you go on you start to develop a sort of '6th' sense for things about to happen.

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:26 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

I only miss the moments that I miss.

Mar 31, 2013 at 03:17 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

Corojo wrote:
Heck ya... we all 'miss' moments. Show me a wedding tog that thinks he/she is perfect/does a perfect wedding... I'll show you a deluded fool... Ed K.

That fool may also well be very successful.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:06 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

D. Diggler wrote:

With a similar shooting style I can't really relate. I set my exposure for what the situation is, and then move into getting photographs. Perhaps consider experimenting with aperture priority combined with spot metering and an exposure lock, same control of manual but arguably more flexible and quicker if lighting is changing frequently. As for primes, well, how many do you really need? Do you use two bodies? I'd just always have something relatively 'normal' on one body, and then you can always work within those limitations and 'see' within those limits.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:13 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

For anyone concerned about this they need to become a videographer and setup a couple of cameras.

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:05 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

Every wedding is full of moments that don't get captured. There could literally be hundreds of moments happening all at once. Heck, you could have 10 shooters and still miss a lot. I'm way more concerned with the moments I capture than the ones that are missed...

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:15 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

I chimp too much and thats when I miss most.

Apr 01, 2013 at 12:27 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

maxwell1295 wrote:
Every wedding is full of moments that don't get captured. There could literally be hundreds of moments happening all at once. Heck, you could have 10 shooters and still miss a lot. I'm way more concerned with the moments I capture than the ones that are missed...

This!

Nobody is perfect.

Also as much as I like primes I use zooms for events as it takes too much time to switch a lens. I love, love, love the 24-70 and it never comes off my camera for events. I use my 50 sometimes but its on a second body. I shoot manual; I know my camera so well it takes a second to adjust to conditions. I know how my camera/lens Im using performs during certain light conditions. I dont need to spend time "chimping". I dont even have to take my eye off my camera to adjust, I know the buttons like the back of my hand. I shoot RAW so there is room for error if its a bit over/under exposed, Im not perfect, none of us are. I actually shoot a stop over exposed as that what works well for my post style. I batch process so there is consistency.

Apr 01, 2013 at 02:00 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ever feel like you miss a lot of 'moments?'

truehuss wrote:
Of course we al miss stuff but I think the trick is trying to anticipate WHEN the moment will happen so you have the camera on your eye ready to go. Still working on that.

This. We all miss moments all the time. I don't even worry about it. If I miss something and it's vitally important then I'll recreate it (I don't like to but you do what you have to do). 99% of the time that's not a big deal though. Don't get hung up on the missed stuff. Just focus on delivering the best you CAN get.

Apr 01, 2013 at 04:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password