Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Pleas...

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

jprezant wrote:
is it weird that I see Alan Abrams when I look at these? I think it's your logo actually

Well, I didn't want to say that, but it's in the processing too. When I came to the thread, that was my first thought. Last time I mentioned someone replicating someone else, I got reamed for it. So...

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:36 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

amonline wrote:
Well, I didn't want to say that, but it's in the processing too. When I came to the thread, that was my first thought. Last time I mentioned someone replicating someone else, I got reamed for it. So...

Well, my logo was made by a graphic artist at logomyway in a contest so thats no copy of anyone. And feel free to say what you want because I know I'm not replicating anyone. I'm being me and trying to develop my style. And no disrepect to Alan Abrams, but I think I probably saw one of his posts maybe once or twice at the most. I actually just took a look at his site & nah homie, I dont see what you see but he seems to be doing well so thanks...I guess.

As far as Amer Nubulsi...no disrespect to whoever that is but.. I dont know who that is?? So no , I'm not replicating whoever that is either.

Trust me fellas, I'm not replicating anyone. I'm a pup in this but I am trying to develop MY style. Not anyone elses.

and besides comparing my logo and stuff..did you like em Jason? lol

PEACE

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:57 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Dude... Jason I thought Amer too!!
wow

As far as crit goes I would say stay away from posting the cliche "men waiting with hands crossed" shot... To me those shots are nice to include in the final set but do little for storytelling and look kind of plain.
Overall these are nice. Perhaps a little overprocessed for my taste (I prefer the blacks and colors to be less crushed). Solid job overall.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:58 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Ok, so I checked out Amer . Nice work. I appreciate the comparison since I am a newbie and if you guys are comparing me to these guys as a 'sort of' compliment...thanks I guess . I will reiterate that I never heard of this dude before you guys mentiond him so thats that.

As far as the crit, I'll take that into consideration. Yeah, I think I 'washed' these a little too much so my e-session post which I will post soon enough, you should see a lil difference...

and then maybe you could compare me to someone else awesome?

Oh and amonline,maybe the reason you got reamed out for comparing people was because you were...wrong.

And truth be told bro, when I checked out Alan Abrams site & then checked out yours they looked eerily similar so...

just bustin ya balls bro.

OUT

PEACE

Mar 31, 2013 at 06:43 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Solid man.

The set got off to a slow start for me with the first four images. They are kinda 'blah' and 'anyone could have taken them'. It really picked up for me though and like the overall results. 28 and 33 are good shots.

As an aside, 'act like you belong'. What I mean is your stuff is solid...so I dont care that you shot less than '25 as a primary'. Just because it took photographer X photographer 100 weddings doesnt mean you have to get there to 'be good'. For growth, identify what is important to you in an image (set) and then strive to do those things a little better each time out. You'll be surprised how quickly you grow by looking within and identifying what is important to you. For what its worth, I have shot 13 as a primary and 13 as a second and just finished my first full year as a primary...so you might not want to listen to me

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:00 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

47 is my favorite. Great moment and angle. Personally I enjoy the processing. I don't process that way, but I'm a fan of people that do... Which makes me wonder why I don't do it too Solid work!

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:04 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Chuck , thanks for coming in bro. I truly respect your opinion so I appreciate the 'words of wisdom/pep talk'. btw, 13 as a priamry..inccluding this year? Gott damn dude your good.

Its funny because I have been a beast in everything I've done. I'm always ultra confident, I've always outworked everyone, I'm super competitive, and I've always wanted (or tried really hard) to be the best at whatever I decided to do. But in photography, I have found the only art form that has put me in my place and I gotta say...I dont like it!! lol. I also know now, in photography there is no 'best'. Just a bunch of great ones so hopefully I can be something close to that one day.

Til then I'll work...hard.

Morby- Thanks bro. I'm still searching for my ultimate processing 'style' . I like this but I may tone it down a little but we'll see how it'll evolve.

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:28 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

don't get me wrong dude, for someone who says they're new, these are fantastic.

17- good eye for the light, the pose could be stronger (look at her hand on the railing)
20- nice moment
35- very well done, it just feels good to my eye, despite that bastard flag pole
37- I'm a sucker for symmetry

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:33 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Ok, so does everyone here know what "HAM" means? I'm reading all these responses and I'm like, "Damn! Isn't anyone going as what "HAM" means?!"

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:38 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Inku Yo wrote:
Ok, so does everyone here know what "HAM" means? I'm reading all these responses and I'm like, "Damn! Isn't anyone going as what "HAM" means?!"

I can think of some inappropriate acronyms that it might mean, but I'll keep those to myself on Easter

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:44 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Isn't it something like Hard as a mother? Or something...

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:44 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

truehuss wrote:
Its funny because I have been a beast in everything I've done. I'm always ultra confident, I've always outworked everyone, I'm super competitive, and I've always wanted (or tried really hard) to be the best at whatever I decided to do. But in photography, I have found the only art form that has put me in my place and I gotta say...I dont like it!! lol. I also know now, in photography there is no 'best'. Just a bunch of great ones so hopefully I can be something close to that one day.

i can relate to this. but my experience has shown me there is no 'best'. and even the 'best' is highly subjective based on NUMEROUS factors. there is no measurable, quantitative factor.

the best example i can give you is when i joined the WPJA so i can compare myself and compete with 'the greats'. i joined in the fourth quarter of 2011 and entered about 12 images from my first 5 weddings. two images received first place awards in different categories (one from my 2nd wedding for 'great natural light' and one from my 3rd 'bride getting ready') and the point total from that was enough to rank me 7th among all WPJA members. i was pretty happy and honored. year two goes by, my first year as a primary. over the entire year, i entered 60 total images over four quarters. i had ONE image that placed THIRTEENTH and yet i felt like i had about 10 images that were better than my two first place finishes. what is the lesson? there is no 'best'. i feel pretty good about my work...i feel like i have a clue and are getting the images i want to get....my clients are happy.

my advice, look within.

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:45 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

"I'm a bout to go HAM, Hard as a Motherf'a let these zigaz know who I am.." Haha..

Inku, aren't you in New York bro? Jay-z, Kanye West song H.A.M. ..check it out. lol
I'm originally from the Bronx NY but raised in North Philly. Now I'm out in the suburbs with deer in my backyard. Its interesting.

Chuck, you sure your weren't like, the Dalai Lama in a past life bro? lol. I'd love to meet you one day. You seem like a really nice, genuine person who is all for the uplifting of , not just photographers, but people in general. That's not lip service bro, I mean it.

and I get what your saying.

jprezant- thanks bro. Appreciate that. and trust me, I am new. I studied videography for a while so I was learning about photography and that helped but I was as green as the grass when I decided to do this. I shot about 6 weddings as a 2nd and jumped in. I'm crazy that way. Id like to meet you too dude. We need a Philly meet up!!

Thanks again fellas. I've been lurking FM for a minute and you boys have taught me without knowing. So THANKS!!

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:40 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

truehuss wrote:
"I'm a bout to go HAM, Hard as a Motherf'a let these zigaz know who I am.." Haha..

Inku, aren't you in New York bro? Jay-z, Kanye West song H.A.M. ..check it out. lol
I'm originally from the Bronx NY but raised in North Philly. Now I'm out in the suburbs with deer in my backyard. Its interesting.

I'm old, you whipper snapper.

Nice set of photos. Some interesting compositions. There are a few things that I would watch out for, but nice overall.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:54 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

truehuss wrote:
Man I wish you were in Philly... and we were friends! lol

Ironically, we were JUST in Philly this past week to attend the Hoffer's workshop (HoffShop). We might be back in September to shoot an engagement (and to eat another cheesesteak or 3).

Keith

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:08 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Oh and jprezant- I actually responded to one of your post a while back to be a 2nd. You never responded to me. bastid! j/k
I understand you have a ton of tog friends that are much better than I but if you ever need a 3rd, I'd love to come along. Same with Chuck, Inku, Keithlee, Jon Mold ( dont think I wont fly to the UK buddy) ShaneMD ( love ya stuff bud,I can do Canada, eh) and anyone else (Hoffer??just leave Amy home. Really just joking dude.lol. seriously. Haha)

Just as an fyi, I'm a cool, personable, very handsome, Puerto Rican who has no ego to help out, listen, learn and hopefully bring something to the table. I'm also very humble

this is me in March 2011 with my very 1st Rebel--Yes, Rebel T2i. I thought I was the shi!! lol Of course I wouldnt wear the leather to a wedding. I clean up well. I also rock a 5D mark III and 5D mk2 back up with more than a few lenses with red lines... and even big white ones.

God, look at the logo. what a knucklehead I was. lol
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af81/truehuss/194533_202709223090372_382946_o.jpg

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:15 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Oh and Inku, I'm Old'er too dude! lol. I have 2 little boys, a wife and a poodle.

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:27 PM
LivLif
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Inku Yo wrote:

Sure i do!

This set is HARD AS A MUTHAF*#@A!!!

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Nice work.

Agree with Jon and Kieth on comments.

welcome to fred miranda wedding section.

It will be fun to see you grow.
There is a good crew here.
Keep rollin.

-Mark

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:59 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Other than the help already offered, great set .

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.