Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz...

truehuss
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Hello FMers. This will be only my 3rd posting here and although I hate some of you here for being so damn good (lie Hoff, Keithlee & Jon Mold just recently..arghh.I hate you guys! ) I feel like I should post my work so maybe some of the above mentioned--and the rest of you awesome photogs--could maybe give me some things I need to work on and do better (like I need to go wide a lil more than I do) . I'm really pushing the hell out of myself to think different & get better but I dont know if I get it fully yet. I am so obsessed with this its kind of geting out of hand...but thats another post. I am a pup in this, meaning, I have only shot since mid 2011 & havent even hit 25 weddings as a primary yet but... I'm really impatient!! : ) .

Either way, let me know what you think. No one is as hard on me than me so feel free & let me know what you REALLY think. Dont feel you must be nice to me because I responded to your posts positively. lol. Constructive crits needed. Also, a quick back story is, this was a freezing, windy day & for the creative session, I had minutes to come up with stuff. I was disappointed as I had things I wanted to try but didnt . I succumbed to the freezy faces but I needed to a least get something. Anyway, on with the show.

Thanks fellas! Btw, this was shot last week.

Thats all folks.

Mar 30, 2013 at 03:01 PM
ShaneMD
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

dood, you're good, really good

4 and 36!

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Yeah, these are sweet. The only one I didn't really like was #6 because of the crop. But yeah, really beautiful work.

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:23 PM
JonMold
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Really solid shooting man - very nice.

Some critique, which you asked for, so my 2c worth.

#3 - needs a little more space around the subject, too tight.

#6 - cropped though her lip not good, just give a little more room.

#9 - again too tight for me esp left image

#17 - crop tighter. I find the right foreground element too distracting

#36 - background lake elements too distracting, try a lower perspective

Apart from that which are only very minor points, its an excellent set - thanks for sharing

Jon

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:24 PM
mohoyt

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Awesome set dude. I especially like the great light and your processing in the outside shots (34 thru 37). The venue looks like a nice light airy place. The only thing that distracts me are the almost, but not quite, level horizons/building lines etc. in a few of the shots.

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:59 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Thanks ShaneMD - I really appreciate you saying that! I've been beating myself up lately so a compliment was mucho needed . I also took a look at your site and dood, you are pretty damn good yourself. Love that Nic & Gwyn shoot! Great job.

Mitch W - Thanks for checkin in bro. Yeah the sentiment seems to be #6 was too much crop. I blame it on the artist is us. lol. Well noted, thanks.

JonMold - Appreciate you taking the time to holler brother. You know I love ya shi..work. haha. I looked at everything you said & you definitely nailed it. I agree and appreciate the crit. Btw, I did have another # 17 with the right element out. I just made the wrong decision about which I should put up. lol

Thanks for checkin fellas!

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:08 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Great set... good perspectives, good use of negative space, and dof. Not into flare, slow ss. at receptions (but that's ME):you have a very coherent, defined style. The B&G will be thrilled... Ed K.

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:23 PM
CoLmes
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Really good set, what was your lens lineup for this? Reception shots are really interesting too btw

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:35 PM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

mohoy- Thanks bro. You know, the level horizons are actually new for me as i usually almost always am trying to get a 'angled' perspective..sometimes to a fault. lol. But thanks.

Corojo - Thanks for looking. Yeah, I love flare I just have yet to get my ultimate 'flare shot' yet. My wifey actually shot that one. And slow ss... I'm just trying things when I get to reception time...of course after I get what I want. I consider it play time.

Colmes - I use a few. 50L, 35L, 24-70, 70-200 100Macro. That pretty much sums it up. 1st time using the 600 ex RT for receptions & although I have tested it was a little tricky to figure out in this space, but thanks!

Off to an e-session soon...wish me luck to find some awesome light!!

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:45 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

veddy veddy nice

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

awad
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

looks great man. it's beautiful out today, good luck with the shoot.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

I'd say you are well on your way man! I started at roughly the same time as you and basically feel the same way. Eager to get it right, etc.. Anyway, love the set. Think you did an excellent job! Are you using VSCO for editing? I love the look....but every time I try it on my stuff I don't like it and always revert back to "my goto processing". I think you're doing great!

Mar 30, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Mr Pixcel
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

They look very good.

But need to crop #21 above the flying jacket. It's distracting.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM
wer2012

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Nice set Miguel - 34 rocks!

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

These are very nice, and they'll probably love them; but they don't match the brand/style you exhibit on your site. Personally, I like the processing on your site better. I'm just afraid your clients may view these as washed out by comparison. Pretty big change compared to your previous blog posts and portfolios.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:40 AM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Thanks for the props dude... you are too kind. Never be too cool or too good for comments + critique... FM and it's peeps have been great to me. Without these guys and gals, I would have never gotten as far as I have in the last 2 years.

Ok... now for the C + C. I find that giving C + C makes me a better photographer so I learn what to watch out for.

4 - Better if the highlights were boosted.

6 - An odd crop on the bride's face. Go wider.

11 - Next time, move over to the left.

14 - Image on the left is over exposed.

17 - Would have been killer with a stronger pose.

20 - would have been stronger if you moved over to the right to capture the moment.

21 - I usually have a rule of thumb that if anybody is out of focus, they shouldn't be looking at the camera.

23 - Straighten the image.

34 - Observe the ROT... the subjects are almost out of the frame.

35 - Winner for me.

36 - Stronger if he was looking into her.

37 - Another winner. Maybe raise the shadows?

43 - Stronger if the rings were grouped together.

48 - Another winner... I would just trying to bring the sky out to balance out the fire.

Overall, great job dude. They will love these images.

Easy on the clarity for some of the images... (we've all been guilt of this before) but there is a limit where it starts to look over processed.

Don't make the mistake of posting too many images. Post only the great stuff. If you post too many images, it waters down the set.

ROCK ON.

Keith

Mar 31, 2013 at 01:34 AM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

TTLKurtis - tank you veddy much! lol

awad- appreciate it. It was a great day but the session was a little more work than it should've been. I'll leave it at that. But thanks!

Sodon- yeah bro, tell me about it. I am soooo desperate to get it already. It seems I'm trying to cram 5 yrs of photography into 2. I gotta slow down... but I cant! A while back I used a altered version of vsco and then tweaked another. This is a variation of those.

Pixcel- this is why I love FM. We have some real eagle eye togs on here and they can always see what I don't. I actually do have one, and I like it, cropped torso up. I didn't even really 'see' that . Thanks

wer2012 - Whats up Matt! thanks dude. Looking forward to working with you again .

amonline - Thanks and I hear you. I went ahead and tested out the new processing and I was just feeling it more than my normal processing. Yeah, I hope my clients aren't shocked but I wasn't feeling my other processing anymore and wanted to make a change. Maybe I can lower the washed out feel some & find a happy medium. Either way I appreciate you lookin!

Mar 31, 2013 at 01:38 AM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

Hey Keithlee.. Thanks man!! Love the crits. Same with Jon Mold, I went and looked at everything you said and of course, your right.

Man I wish you were in Philly... and we were friends! lol

Thanks alot for taking the time to help out dude. I really appreciate it.

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:10 AM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

is it weird that I see Alan Abrams when I look at these? I think it's your logo actually

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:33 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Philly photog, Tryin to go HAM on weddings! 2nd yr in biz, C&C Please (48 pics)

also Amer Nubulsi

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:33 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password