Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

phlegmon
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

It depends on your photography. Camera body isn't that important. The weight of the lens is a bigger factor.

If you have the budget and plan on using long lenses, get

RRS tripod, TV-33 or 34
RRS-55 or Markins Q20 ballhead

Mar 31, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Robin Casady
• •
p.2 #2 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

I've been using a Gitzo series 3 systematic tripod for a decade and it is as good as new. Works well. Never had a problem with it.

I've used a variety of ball heads with it and my favorite is the Arca-Swiss P0. The ball locks with a ring around the head, rather than a knob. This makes it easier to manage with one hand on the camera. No fumbling around for the right knob. It also has the pan mechanism at the top which makes panoramas easy.

Important issues with tripods for me are:

1. Easy setup and tear-down between shots. The fewer leg segments the better. I had a four segment Gitzo, but replaced it with the three segment version to eliminate three locks that had to be manipulated.
2. Leg segments don't rotate. If the leg rotates you have to lock the upper locks before the lower locks. Gitzo has a system that prevents leg rotation so you can lock a lower segment while an upper is loose.
3. Rigidity. Get the largest model you are willing to carry. The differences in weight are not great compared to a bag full of camera and lenses. Not much point in havign a tripod that isn't study enough. Stay away from center columns. They are not rigid, and get in the way when shooting from a low angle.
4. Height. Get one tall enough that you don't have to bend over for its highest setting.
5. Versatility. Gitzo's Systematic tripods allow for easy swapping of heads.

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:19 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

My Gitzo 1325 has no center column, and I've never missed it. All of my cameras have a dedicated "L" bracket either from RRS or Kirk.

Kent in SD

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Chestnut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

I've looked at the RRS stuff, and they're REALLY attractive... I already have a 3-series Gitzo tho, and it's serving me just fine...

On second thought, I might need something a little lighter and smaller for travel... and I don't think my 1541T is beefy enough for a D800 and the 120-300 I preordered... hmm... (drooling for a TV-24?)... what meals can I skip for the next 3 months?

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Garrick L
• •
p.2 #5 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

RRS TVC-24L and a RRS BH-55 Ball Head, you will be pleased you did!

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:04 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.2 #6 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Chestnut wrote:
I've looked at the RRS stuff, and they're REALLY attractive... I already have a 3-series Gitzo tho, and it's serving me just fine...

On second thought, I might need something a little lighter and smaller for travel... and I don't think my 1541T is beefy enough for a D800 and the 120-300 I preordered... hmm... (drooling for a TV-24?)... what meals can I skip for the next 3 months?

If you need light and small, RRS is the wrong pick.

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:10 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.2 #7 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Zebrabot wrote:
If you need light and small, RRS is the wrong pick.

Oh, I was just going for lightER and smallER, compared to a 3-series Gitzo...
What would go well between a 3-series and a 1-series in the RRS lineup that would support a D800+120-300
(sorry, not my intention to hijack the thread...)

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:32 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Easy enough research...
Mid sized RRS tripod ballhead packages...

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=RRSPkgs-40&key=cat

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=TripodsRRSPkgs&key=cat

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/is_this_the_worlds_best_tripod.shtml makes a good read.

I own a 3-series gitzo and with any long/slightly heavy lens no way would I want to go any less. I'd look at RRS, gitzo 5 series stability in a 3 series package is very appealing...

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:07 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.2 #10 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Don't buy Gitzo sticks. The platforms and hinges are cast aluminum. Really Right Stuff are machined aluminum.

My main issue with that isn't even the durability - I have broken cast Gitzo hinges, but I wouldn't say they're EASY to break - but that cast aluminum has a far lower production cost than machined and Gitzo's prices don't reflect that.

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Airphoto
• • •
p.2 #11 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Didnt say budget or lens choice. I would seriously look into photoclam or sirui 3 series, 4-600, built like tanks will convert to monopod Sirui received awards in Germany, and i believe photoclam is built a little better (not $200 better).
Ball head, my favorite head is an Markins Q10 w/lever clamp. THe 3304 and Q10 will go back in the small bag.
I have used and love the bh55 the bh 40 is overated(my opinion) the q20 is great also
It is rated at 33 lbs on the tripod.

The photoclam has a great option to convert to remove column and put in head plate.
The leg clamps are built better/ smoother than the induro or benro.

Apr 03, 2013 at 06:03 PM
opolione

p.2 #12 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Really depends on what you're looking for in terms of size and weight. I wanted the smallest possible size that still could carry a decent load and chose the Feisol 3442 and an Arca Swiss Z1 ballhead. And an RRS L plate for the D800.

Apr 04, 2013 at 10:39 PM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.2 #13 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

I have a D800 and decided to buy a kit that would never need replacing (or so I'm praying considering the cost). Picked up the TVC-33 and BH-55 with L-plate, along with a lens foot plate.

For macro stuff & using my RB67, I'm not a huge fan of this head (or ballheads in general actually) and much prefer my geared Manfrotto 405. But for anything else, it rocks and isn't heavy and solidly built. The built-in bubble levels are handy.

One thing of note that I wasn't even aware of. Apparently the D600 RRS L-plates have issues with the LCD screen protector getting in the way and cause some issue there. However my D800 L-plate fits perfectly with the screen protector in place.

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:37 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.2 #14 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

m.sommers00 wrote:
I have a D800 and decided to buy a kit that would never need replacing (or so I'm praying considering the cost). Picked up the TVC-33 and BH-55 with L-plate, along with a lens foot plate.

For macro stuff & using my RB67, I'm not a huge fan of this head (or ballheads in general actually) and much prefer my geared Manfrotto 405. But for anything else, it rocks and isn't heavy and solidly built. The built-in bubble levels are handy.

One thing of note that I wasn't even aware of. Apparently the D600 RRS L-plates have issues with the LCD screen
...Show more

Just of note.... the protector is only meant to be used for transport. Personally, I tossed mine the second I opened the box.

Apr 06, 2013 at 06:31 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Hardcore wrote:
Just of note.... the protector is only meant to be used for transport. Personally, I tossed mine the second I opened the box.

Well, "transport" doesn't mean just from the factory to your house. It means traveling with the camera, having the camera in a pack where it might be rubbing, etc. Nikon also realizes that a good many people choose to just leave it on also, which is why it is clear. The LCD is not bulletproof. Which is also why there are aftermarket LCD covers too. So although "tossing it" the second you opened the box is entirely a personal decision, it's not really good general advice for new photographers. IMO of course.

I also was one that was a little irked with Really RIght Stuff when they did that with the D600 L-bracket. I'd always bought their brackets, being a big fan of their quality, however I ended up returning that one and getting a Kirk. We are talking about a little notch... For a notch, they lost business.

Apr 06, 2013 at 01:57 PM
Joseph Garcin
• •
p.2 #16 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

ckcarr wrote:
Well, "transport" doesn't mean just from the factory to your house. It means traveling with the camera, having the camera in a pack where it might be rubbing, etc. Nikon also realizes that a good many people choose to just leave it on also, which is why it is clear. The LCD is not bulletproof. Which is also why there are aftermarket LCD covers too. So although "tossing it" the second you opened the box is entirely a personal decision, it's not really good general advice for new photographers. IMO of course.

I also was one that was a little irked
...Show more

They have lost business over similar silly, stubborn stands by the owner. Kirk for me as well. Straight forward, functional, no nonsense gear.

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

dreamplayer wrote:
I guess I am lost in tripod's world.
RRS, GITZO, MANFROTTO... too many brands and various series of each brand...

Anyone can suggest a decent tripod & head combo to support D800E very well?

Your question is too generic. Are you planning on hiking? Doing a lot of night shots? Are you going to mount long lenses?

I actually have several tripods for different uses.

I have a light Gitzo GT1542T (Traveller series) carbon tripod for hiking and travel. I can put it in my carry-on no problem.

I also have a Gitzo GT2530 (3 section, carbon) for general use in my area. (I have travelled with it but must go in check in bags). Great tripod overall.

And, whenever I use my heavier camera (645D) and for night shots and general use, if I can I take this one, a Gitzo GT3541L. Its a super versatile tripod. I can remove the center column and attach quickly the head plate without the column. That adds a touch of stability and allows the tripod to go very very low to the ground. Super stable and versatile burly tripod.

The RRS tripods are great also.

Regarding heads, there are also a bunch of good ones out there and its mostly personal preference.

One thing that I absolutely love and have on whenever I use any tripod is RRS PCL-1 panning quick release clamp combined with their L-plates. It can be mounted on almost any head and makes composing and even doing panos a snap. Once you level your shot you can pan the camera left and right to adjust composition without loosing level. That sounds simple but this clamp makes that very easy to do on any tripod with any head. It is a must have for landscapes IMHO.

Apr 07, 2013 at 02:07 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

[typed this up a couple of days ago and thought I'd hit "send reply", but hadn't. Didn't want to wast the typing, so apologies for the late bump/post.]

Unless you need packable-in-the-luggage size, I'd say most folks not shooting large primes are served best by the 2-series/midsize tripods.

If you're on a budget, the Sirui N2204 is a pretty nice tripod. There was a pretty extensive test I saw on a German website (wish I'd kept/could find the link) that rated Sirui up with the established guys. ~$400 and I'd say at or near Gitzo quality.

I have a Gitzo 2531 and it has been great, but considering how many complaints I've heard about Gitzo's customer service/parts availability, I'd avoid them if I were buying new.

If you can afford it, the 2-series RRS tripods are worth it. If you're thinking Gitzo, stretch to the RRS.

As for heads, I personally wasn't a fan of the paddle of the BH-40 (the BH-55 is great in every respect, but too big for the 2-series and the lenses you're shooting). I did a review for Sunwayfoto of their XB-44 and it convinced me to let go of my BH-40. It is a little less expensive than the RRS, and is a very high-quality head. I've sent it out to a couple of pros who gave it high marks as well. It is a perfect match for my 2531. They have a pretty cool discal clamp you might like for pano that is now offered on a lot of their heads (check B&H).

If you go regular clamp, the RRS LR II is hard to beat for a quick-release. Unfortunately mine went away with the BH-40. I've liked Sunwayfoto's screw-clamps fine, but I might try their QR clamp or look for a used LR II.

Summary:
Legs:
- Budget - Sirui N-2204
- Best - RRS 23 or 24
- Skip Gitzo (unless you find a great deal used)

Head:
- Budget - Sunwayfoto "D" series
- Best - RRS BH-40 or Sunwayfoto XB-44 depending on your budget and design preference.

Apr 07, 2013 at 09:59 PM
neilvan
• •
p.2 #19 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

My tripod/head of choice for use with my D800/MB-D12/Kirk BL-D800G L-plate is the following...Nice and simple and stabilizes all my lenses (up to 200mm) easily.

A Gitzo GT3532LS & Acratech GP Ballead (with the lever QR), fits nicely in an RRS TQB-80B bag by the way.

This combo also holds the camera with the RRS PG-02 Omni-Pivot system perfectly.

I seriously couldn't be happier, everything just simply works as it should over and over again. No issues at all. I have tried a LOT of different legs/heads/clamps/plates etc over the years and this is by far the best system I could put together with respect to quality/performance/weight.

Good luck with your decision!

Apr 09, 2013 at 03:27 AM
billsnature
• • •
p.2 #20 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

I am a big fan of Gitzo 3 series carbon fiber tripods. 3 section version like 3530S is a little short but very solid and a good choice if you aren't tall and will fit in a 24" suitcase.

On heads... I have tried them all. I would only use a ball head or a Gimbal head for big telephotos. I am real happy with the Arca Swiss B1z and use a RRS clamp on it. I also like the original B1 and find the Markins 10 or the 20 to be very good for the money. Both the Markins and B1's are compatible with a Wimberley side kick if you get a 500mm at a later date.

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:34 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password