Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

dreamplayer

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

I guess I am lost in tripod's world.
RRS, GITZO, MANFROTTO... too many brands and various series of each brand...

Anyone can suggest a decent tripod & head combo to support D800E very well?

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Thomas Hogan has a nice article about tripods and heads here.

Mar 30, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Hardcore
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

I'd look at either RRS or Feisol. They stand behind their products. RRS is the best imo but Feisol is also very good. I'd shy away from Gitzo or Benro. They make great products as well, but their service is a bit suspect imo from some of the stories I have read about.

I bought a RRS TVC-33s and find the large leg diameter along with the CF really helps cut the vibration.

Mar 30, 2013 at 01:44 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

I'm a big fan of Induro products.
http://www.indurogear.com/products_Tripods.html

The type of head you need will vary depending on how you plan on using it/what you are shooting.

Mar 30, 2013 at 01:45 PM
dreamplayer

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

VinnieJ wrote:
I'm a big fan of Induro products.
http://www.indurogear.com/products_Tripods.html

The type of head you need will vary depending on how you plan on using it/what you are shooting.

you are absolutely right, usually I do landscape shooting, maybe I will do some birding one day.

Mar 30, 2013 at 02:17 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Tripod should boil down to materials it's made from, and the type of leg locking releases you prefer.

Most expensive is carbon fiber, then basalt, aluminum, etc...

As far as leg extensions, Gitzo uses a "twist" release, while Manfrotto uses a "lever." That's personal preference. Go to a camera store and try them.

Don't buy a budget tripod for the D800. I have read a few stories, and actually talked to someone in person whose tripod head broke off and they lost a camera over a cliff.

Ballheads, I prefer the Really Right Stuff BH-55, or BH-40 (I wouldn't go smaller for the D800). But, there are other good brand name ones made also of course.

You also will need a camera plate, either a regular, or an L-bracket.

Budget around $1,275 for this... $650 for a tripod, $450 for a good ballhead, and $175 for a plate... Of course, this can be adjusted up and down as you mix and match what you want.

Mar 30, 2013 at 03:00 PM
rick_reno
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

I've had a number of them, various brands I can't remember, Manfrotto, Gitzo and now a RRS. Gitzo was a good tripod until I needed a part that had fallen off it. It took me - and I'm not kidding - 4 weeks of daily phone calls/emails to their service group in New Jersey to get the part sent to me. What a PIA those people were to deal with. That was it, I sold it, called RRS up and have been very happy with their superb customer service.

Mar 30, 2013 at 03:22 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

There are many dozens of threads about tripods and heads in the General forum. You should buy the support to handle the largest and longest lenses that you will use. The camera model is practically irrelevant. For example, I can use the D800 with a 24-70 on a Gitzo 1 series and obtain good results. However, I would not put a 500/4 and D7100 on such a light tripod.

EBH

Mar 30, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

For the D800E I'd definitely go with carbon fiber and a good hanging weight while shooting landscapes.

36MP does not like vibration!

Mar 30, 2013 at 03:36 PM
fishfilm
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Hard to go wrong with Gitzo or RRS. I have Gitzo legs and a RRS head/plate and if I were to do it again I would probably go all RRS since they are made here and have excellent CS. I would just call them (a real, live, helpful and knowledgable human always answers the phone!) tell them what your interests and gear are and buy what they tell you too.

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Feisol 3372 or 3472. I finally bought the Feisol because carrying an 8 pound aluminum Dynatran tripod was just too much for this dilapidated old body. Sooner or later, you will add some long glass and you will need this tripod with the D800. It handles my D800, 300MM f4 with 1.4 TC with no problem.

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:17 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

If you plan on a long lens, I would recommend a set of Feisol three section legs of the largest diameter coupled with a 48 series PhotoClam head.

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:27 PM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

I did research up and down and read as many reviews as I found. Finally decided on Gitzo GT2541 with Markins Q10 and RRS clamp. I'm on the fence between RRS and Gitzo legs, I choose Gitzo is probably is over $200 less than RRS.

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:40 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

How are you going to use it? what lenses? What do you shoot? For the past ten years I've been using a Gitzo1325 and an Acratech ballhead. It has been absolutely perfect every time I use it, in every kind of conditions you can imagine. It's solid enough that I shoot 4x5 on it too, and have used a Nikon F5 with Nikon 500mm f4 with no probems. I've been using this tripod and head outdoors almost daily since I bought it ~10 years ago. Buy a Gitzo once, and you're done. It will outlive you. Mine has now seen five Nikon cameras come & go, as well as a medium format camera (Bronica.) A good tripod is something you buy only once and will use for decades. Same for a really quality head like the Acratech. On a per year basis, it's the cheapest camera gear you will buy. For me, the carbon fiber was worth the $$ as I often hike with it.

Twist legs v.s lever lock. Since I use the tripod outdoors and hike with it, I want the twist lock. There are no little levers to catch on brush and snag. that becomes quite annoying very quickly,

Kent in SD

Mar 30, 2013 at 08:58 PM
JimT57

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

+1 on the Gitzo 2541. I have had one for about four years. It has been to China three times, Europe a couple of times and has hiked the Rockies. I use it with a Acraswiss Monoball Z and it handles everything from my D800e with the 70 to 200 F2.8 with a 1.7 TC to the D800e with the 14 to 24 F2.8 with no problems. Love the twist locks for fast and secure set up and take down. Just bought a 3531 as I intend to get some longer glass and do some birding. Can't comment on GItzo customer service because the thing just works!

Mar 31, 2013 at 03:57 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

Acratech makes the most sensible ballheads, period.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:05 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

dreamplayer wrote:
Anyone can suggest a decent tripod & head combo to support D800E very well?

There is no right answer to this question. Important is what is on the D800, what do you want to shoot etc..

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

When the Picture Matters, The Support Matters by wfarrell4, on Flickr

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:43 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

As others have said, it really depends on what you do.

Ground rule is heavier the base, the better the support. but of course, that is confounded by the weight you have to carry. So a lot of people get light weight, high quality carbon fiber tripods, with hooks on the bottom of the center column, so they can hang a weight (usually your camera bag) on the bottom, so you have the weight, but don't have to carry it all on the tripod itself.

I'd go with a Gitzo 2-series at the minimum, or a 3-series if you use bigger lenses. RRS equivalent are the TV-23 or TV-33.

CF is a good way to go, especially with the high frequency vibration dampening effect CF has. Personally, I like and own Gitzo tripods... but RRS ones look REALLY nice as well (wish I had the budget and justification to buy one!)

The tripod head depends heavily on what you do. In general, ballheads are very very versatile. But if you primarily shoot landscapes only, then a 3-way pan-head may be better to get fine control one axis at a time. If you want to get a ballhead, I am 110% invested in my RRS BH-55. It's the best head I've ever had/used. And their quick release system is nice as well.

I do have an Acratech, and it's fantastic for a light weight setup if you're hiking or traveling with your gear. It's no competition against the BH-55, but it's competent, and half the weight (.45kg vs .86kg).

If you said you're thinking about birding in the future, I'd go to RRS's site, and order from their Full-size packages (TV-33 or TV-34 series). Birding can get you into pretty big glass, and you're always better off a little more support than not enough. And once you buy a high quality tripod, it'll serve you well for a LOOOOONG time (hence I have no justification to buy an RRS now :-P )

If I were just starting out now, and had a good budget, and know what I know now (and have a D800), I'd go for the TV34L with BH-55LR package from RRS, and maybe even add a Pano-Gimbal setup as well. And maybe a smaller one for traveling.

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:07 PM
joshn
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Any tripod & head recommendation for D800E?

RRS or Gitzo if money is no object. For heads get a RRS/Kirk ballhead/L-bracket and you're good to go for 10+ years if not longer.

I personally use an Induro carbon fiber tripod, Kirk mid-size ballhead and it works beautifully on my D800. Just use the built in self-timer and you are good to go.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:49 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password