Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

LPortugalPhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Ok I am at my wits end right now with my Canon 5D Mark III and 50 1.2. I just did an entire shoot yesterday and almost all of the pictures are soft. I don't know what has happened! I even downloaded the Canon DPP software so I could make sure that my AF point was on the correct spot. It was! Every time, the AF spot is on the eye. Yet, the flowers in front of the girl are in focus and she is soft.

I thought I had a front focusing issue with my 28mm 1.8 but now I am thinking I also have it with my 50 1.2 and I am at my wits end. The problem is that it isn't consistent! If I am playing around with the dang thing in my house, it always seems to focus on what I point it on. How can this be?? I am so frustrated. Anyone else experienced something similar? I want to send it into Canon but I have two shoots in April so I may just do a micro adjustment. However, due to the inconsistency, I am not sure that will help.

I also wonder... could front focusing maybe be an issue on only some AF points It seems like the center focus points dont do the front focusing issue!!

Here are some examples:

Full photo with AF spot

Face is soft

Flowers on front left are sharp

Here is one using a middle sensor

Face is sharp.... !!!!

Edited on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Just do the MA with your 5D3. It should be a lot better after that. The focus could be more accurate (maybe) with your center point. That's a dual cross point. If you read about the AF with the 5D3, then you will see that not all AF points are the same.

Edited on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Do the micro-adjustment and get back to us. It's not hard.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM
LPortugalPhoto

p.1 #4 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

But should I do a micro adjustment is the center points are good? It makes no sense that the center ones would focus and the side ones wouldn't? I mean I could totally understand if the side ones were having trouble grabbing focus at all.. I would understand that. But front focusing consistently??

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Is the center point good? And the outer ones front focus every time ?

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM
LPortugalPhoto

p.1 #6 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Yes! that is what it seems is happening.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Remember that the center point has 4 AF lines and f/2,8 sensitivity. Some of the outer points only have 1 AF line and f/5,6 sensitivity. That's a huge difference.
So you have to be a lot more carefull about where you have that single AF line

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM
LPortugalPhoto

p.1 #8 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Lars, I am not using the side outer points with the 1AF line. I am using the ones that have the cross points. However, I am not super familiar with what you mean bye f/5,6 sensitivity. Are you saying that you can't use apertures larger than f/5,6?

I do understand that about the center points, but I wouldn't assume the side points would front focus? I would think they wouldn't focus at all no? I will have to do a test to see, but ug I am so ticked this whole shoot is wasted.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Even if you use the one with cross points, it still only have 2 AF lines compared to the 4 of the middle AF points. You can of course use apertures larger than f/5,6.

To make it short those AF points are less good and less accurate than the five dual cross points in the middle. Just do the MA and see if it helps. It take you ten minutes..........

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM
LPortugalPhoto

p.1 #10 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Can you suggest a method for the micro adjustment? I know there are some helpful tools etc. I have seen a few sites. Do you have any you would recommend to help?

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Papathanassiou
• •
p.1 #11 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

LPortugalPhoto wrote:
Can you suggest a method for the micro adjustment? I know there are some helpful tools etc. I have seen a few sites. Do you have any you would recommend to help?

Use the canon utility software for calibration, it came with the camera and is easy to use! I will post you a link!

Papa.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Papathanassiou
• •
p.1 #12 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/MA-web/

Good luck.

Papa.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM
KKFung
• • •
p.1 #13 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

This kind of super fast lens always have serious aberration, my 50L on my 1Dx have the following:

Center point, +13

Peripheral points, +16

I used the dot tune method for MA

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

LPortugalPhoto wrote:
I also wonder... could front focusing maybe be an issue on only some AF points It seems like the center focus points dont do the front focusing issue!!

Here are some examples:

Seem 5d3 AF system can't compensate the outer (optical) curvarture shifting when the lens stopping down: http://slrgear.com/reviews/zproducts/canon50f12/ff/tloader.htm . Use the provided slrgear tloader to locate your AF sensor focal point while the lens at f1.2 and then compare that position to final focal plan position that recorded by imaging sensor when the lens at f2.5 . Hope this explains why your image is in front focus. Central MA system won't fix this issue for sure since MA can only support one focal plan.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM
LPortugalPhoto

p.1 #15 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

mttran,

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about and I am not sure how to use that link you provided. I am going to probably end up sending the body into Canon to see if they can fix the issue (if MA doesn't work.. like you are saying it won't).

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM
LPortugalPhoto

p.1 #16 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

You know what is actually even more odd. Is now that I have gone though every image, the ones that are in focus are the ones in the center AF point, AND the ones that only have the single AF line... it is the cross points on the side that are the true problem. This is so bizarre. I am going to attempt MA today, but I may end up sending the body and the lenses to Canon and have them figure out what the heck is going on.

Mar 30, 2013 at 01:05 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Use the Dot-Tune micro-adjust technique developed by FM's own snapsy:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247

Mar 30, 2013 at 01:37 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Even if you use the one with cross points, it still only have 2 AF lines compared to the 4 of the middle AF points. You can of course use apertures larger than f/5,6.

To make it short those AF points are less good and less accurate than the five dual cross points in the middle. Just do the MA and see if it helps. It take you ten minutes..........

Why should he be doing a MA when the centre-point is dead on?

Mar 30, 2013 at 01:52 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

Imagemaster wrote:
Why should he be doing a MA when the centre-point is dead on?

To control and eliminate a known variable. Sure, it may not have much effect, but it is easy enough.

If people had a more rigorous mind set when it comes to testing and diagnosing, they would have a lot more success.

Mar 30, 2013 at 02:00 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Front Focusing Issue Driving me CRAZY!

My 50L had a similar problem with the 5D3. I brought the lens into CPS and they took care of it... focuses beautifully now using center and outer points. Of course this was well before I learned about the Dot Tune method, and it cost me $240 to fix. For sure I would try to MA the lens myself now before sending it in to CPS.

Mar 30, 2013 at 02:11 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password