Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              37      
       39       end

Archive 2013 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

verbiage
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.38 #1 · p.38 #1 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

Trying something a bit different here, shooting into the light with a 100 F/2.8 IS on a 5D II:

May 30, 2013 at 09:08 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.38 #2 · p.38 #2 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

Hi Slav,

Nice shot, the colours remind of a cold crisp morning, your composition is great, love the back lit pedals and the sharp focus. Your subject looks a bit like a Cherry tree, but this variety I've not seen before. It kind of reminds me of white Azaleas except their stamens are white instead of red like your image. The flare isn't to harsh, bokeh is pretty good on the 100L and it's crystal clear as expected! Well seen and captured

Jerry

May 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM
verbiage
• •
p.38 #3 · p.38 #3 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

Thank you, Jerry.

I think it is some kind of cherry (it better be, sitting right on Cherry Street here in Toronto ), but I am not sure which. After posting the link here and looking at the result, I have some doubts about the grain/noise in the shadows. I did quite a bit of tweaking the curves, and maybe - just maybe - some more aggressive NR in the darker out of focus areas would be a good idea.

Slav

May 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.38 #4 · p.38 #4 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

Thanks Tenn.Jer for the kind words. Here's some more stuff. Mark III again, as I've found a few more worthwhile pics during the second sorting.

This is plaster in its natural form.

And this is how it looks in the rock, before chunks break off and get carried down by gravity and water.

Our team enjoys a break.
And going back to 1D Mark II N:

Overview of the "drowned trees" lake. I swear I'll make a HDR of it... when I get to where Photoshop is.

May 30, 2013 at 01:32 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.38 #5 · p.38 #5 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

Fun on the aerial runway (zipline). 5D, 70-200mm f/2.8L:

May 30, 2013 at 08:43 PM
robinlee
• •
p.38 #6 · p.38 #6 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

Canon 5D3 + 70-200mm F4L IS + 1.4x

_38A0924_v2 by Robin SS Lee, on Flickr

May 30, 2013 at 09:13 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.38 #7 · p.38 #7 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

robinlee, really a lovely shot. would have been nice with a longer exposure time.

May 30, 2013 at 09:44 PM
fqo63ta

p.38 #8 · p.38 #8 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

OK...I'll play. Here's a Magnolia bloom right after an early morning sprinkle.

May 31, 2013 at 03:10 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.38 #9 · p.38 #9 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

One year of life

May 31, 2013 at 03:40 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.38 #10 · p.38 #10 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

kevindar wrote:
robinlee, really a lovely shot.

Right on!

May 31, 2013 at 04:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.38 #11 · p.38 #11 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

Just to let you all know, since June is pretty much here and even in norway everyone is wearing T-shirts and shorts, i've taken Edd's suggestion and kicked off the summer thread - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1216812. See you all there.

May 31, 2013 at 05:26 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.38 #12 · p.38 #12 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

Not mine, but pretty super!:

http://vimeo.com/66974789

May 31, 2013 at 09:08 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.38 #13 · p.38 #13 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

raw macro video test:
http://vimeo.com/67442993

Jun 01, 2013 at 05:19 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.38 #14 · p.38 #14 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

So, before we've all gone into the summer mode, I'll conclude my travelogue somehow
1D Mark II N strikes again:

Our encampment in the morning

Jun 01, 2013 at 07:34 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.38 #15 · p.38 #15 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

Ilya, for someone who claims to be a poor photographer you take pretty damn good pictures . I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with your shooting skills - you just need to spend a little time on PP (tweaking contrast and exposure mainly, and cleaning up dust spots) and these would be pictures anyone here would be proud to have taken.

Jun 01, 2013 at 09:00 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.38 #16 · p.38 #16 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

^^^+1!

Creeping on summer!

Canon 10D IR + Sigma 17-35mm

Jun 02, 2013 at 05:38 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.38 #17 · p.38 #17 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

15Bit wrote:
Ilya, for someone who claims to be a poor photographer you take pretty damn good pictures . I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with your shooting skills...

Yeah, maybe I need to tone down the whining a bit. It may be a psychological side effect of being turned down more times than I can remember, and being twice explicitly fired from photography-related side jobs. Even now, when I have an editorial position in the paper I used to work for as a writing reporter (and occasional photographer) it hurts a lot every time to see my pics shot down. And it happens 90% of the times I send them something.

You just need to spend a little time on PP (tweaking contrast and exposure mainly, and cleaning up dust spots) and these would be pictures anyone here would be proud to have taken.

Thanks. This makes a lot of sense since I didn't spend much time with PP at all - any fine color being killed off by the poor polygraphic quality of the paper - and this needs to change. Actually these shots are from a social network, put up for my fellow travellers to see, and I'm spending time with the second helping doing much more PP (including the Healing Brush), but I still can't nail the colors, especially when it comes to the photos of sandy dunes - it turns out too red, too green, or too cyan most of the time (so tips welcome)... I'm using GIMP which is not exactly a dream image editor, but I don't want to use pirate Photoshop, and legal one is a bit too much for me financially so far.

Jun 02, 2013 at 08:35 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.38 #18 · p.38 #18 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

I'm afraid you can't get away from the reality that what the camera captures is only part of the image-making process, and that you need to make some PP commitment if you want to turn the pictures you take into the images they deserve to be. I also hate doing it, and i'm astonishingly slow at it too, but it has to be done. Absolutely nothing i post up here is "straight out of camera", and i would bet the same is true for almost everyone else posting. And even those who do post straight-from-camera jpegs most likely have custom in-camera processing parameters that they have spent time developing.

I would suggest you buy a copy of Lightroom, which costs little more than a 50mm f/1.8. Or at least download the V5 beta and then buy V5 when it is released. It isn't perfect, but it's a lot easier to learn than fully tooled editors like Photoshop and GIMP and will do absolutely everything you need and want right now. You can get a lot of free presets too, which can offer interesting starting points for editing.

I find the easiest way to sort out difficult colour casts is to convert to B&W

Edited on Jun 02, 2013 at 09:47 AM · View previous versions

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:25 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.38 #19 · p.38 #19 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

Snoppy, viewing all your shots on this expedition, which I enjoyed a lot, I noticed one constant, and that is the diffused, overcast grey sky which kills colors, contrast and the shadows that contribute to apparent sharpness. Diffused light is tough to work with, I get a lot of it here, however Light Room has a few tools that help, such as clarity, vibrance, saturation, contrast and temperature. I often just hit Auto Tone to give me a starting point. I also urge you to adopt LR, might both give you new insight into your images and a new lease on life.

...I might also add that you might like to put your monitor under scrutiny, as it may be telling you lies....

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:47 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.38 #20 · p.38 #20 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???

I would add that there is a "How would you process my image" thread running on the Alt forum (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1196029). Seeing the before and after, and the different ways people process the shots, is quite educational.

Jun 02, 2013 at 09:54 AM
       39       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

39       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password