Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
17
       18              38       39       end
  

Archive 2013 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???
  
 
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


A recipe for duck, musical instrument strings from animal; feline, guts, such wonderful photography convo...I'll add to the imagery with prose as I've no real photos to display yet. Back in my motocross racing days here in SoCal I was chatting about fishing with some 'out-of-town' racers; they were from the Florida area.

The convo suddenly changed from salt water big game fishing to even bigger game fishing, alligators! Seems these dirt bike riders enjoyed feasting of these rather large toothy critters for dinner...their bait for such activities...ya ready for this...stray cats

I've baited many a hook with various small fish, but cats...kinda blew my mind cause these guys weren't joking, were actually laughing about how well it worked, all that hissing n splashing about. I'm sure glad cameras are our toys of choice...



Apr 15, 2013 at 09:33 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


It is interesting that John T. reports his experimenting with 100-400.
I also tried to use a B+W CP with the lens today, and the results were abysmal: the lens IQ suffered in a major way. That's too bad, because any gain in polarization would be more than offset by increase in general flare, resolving power and contrast, and colour corruption. Moreover, CP adjustment on a telephoto's end is quite awkward, but that was kinda expected. All around a majorly lost proposition there.

This example image required a fair bit of pp before it had become half presentable.

1DX + 100-400 + B+W CP.


Edited on Apr 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM · View previous versions



Apr 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Tenn.Jer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


More wildflowers, all with 100L macro, tripod, remote, etc.
The iris is a stack of 13 images, the jack-in-the-pulpit a stack of 3, using Helicon Focus software.
Most of the jack,etc. images and all but one of the wood betony were affected by a slight breeze and therefore unusable...I like the results, but the method in even more painstaking than usual floral macro work...Still fun, though
Jerry




Wood Betony

  Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens    100mm    f/11.0    1/5s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  






Wild Iris, 13 images

  EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens    100mm    f/11.0    1/5s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  






Jack-in-the-Pulpit, 3 images

  EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens    100mm    f/11.0    1/6s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  




Apr 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


StillFingerz wrote:
A recipe for duck, musical instrument strings from animal; feline, guts, such wonderful photography convo...I'll add to the imagery with prose as I've no real photos to display yet. Back in my motocross racing days here in SoCal I was chatting about fishing with some 'out-of-town' racers; they were from the Florida area.

The convo suddenly changed from salt water big game fishing to even bigger game fishing, alligators! Seems these dirt bike riders enjoyed feasting of these rather large toothy critters for dinner...their bait for such activities...ya ready for this...stray cats

I've baited many a hook with various small
...Show more


Jerry, that I've found to be a very enjoyable read.



Apr 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM
John_T
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


PetKal wrote:
It is interesting that John T. reports his experimenting with 100-400.
I also tried to use a B+W CP with the lens today, and the results were abysmal: the lens IQ suffered in a major way. That's too bad, because any gain in polarization would be more than offset by increase in general flare, resolving power and contrast, and colour corruption. Moreover, CP adjustment on a telephoto's end is quite awkward, but that was kinda expected. All around a majorly lost proposition there.

This example image required a fair bit of pp before it had become half presentable.

1DX + 100-400 +
...Show more

Well Peter, I think we all know that for some mysterious reason the 100-400 does not like filters, particularly "protective" filters, but whatever it is, I can imagine it would include a CP filter. I think my CP for the 100-400 is a Heliopan, first chance I get I'll give that a spin and see what I find.



Apr 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


Tenn.Jer wrote:
More wildflowers, all with 100L macro, tripod, remote, etc.
The iris is a stack of 13 images, the jack-in-the-pulpit a stack of 3, using Helicon Focus software.
Most of the jack,etc. images and all but one of the wood betony were affected by a slight breeze and therefore unusable...I like the results, but the method in even more painstaking than usual floral macro work...Still fun, though
Jerry


Jerry, are you hand-holding these stacked images, using a tripod w/macro rails or something like automated like StackShot? In a controlled environment I used a geared head and macro rails but in the field I only handhold so far...thanks for any input...JerrySF



Apr 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM
roboticspro
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


Hi,

First...please keep the folks from the Boston Marathon in your thoughts and prayers; more mindless tragedy that this world certainly does not need. I got several calls a few minutes ago from friends (spectators) that became "first responders" for all the wrong reasons, not unlike another war-zone.

Some photos from the past 48 hours or so, with the G10 & 7D with the FD 300mm f2.8L in front.

Sorry for the somber tone, but sometimes even an old warrior is at a loss to figure out the "why"...because there is none.

Edd

Edited on Aug 03, 2013 at 11:35 PM · View previous versions



Apr 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


PetKal wrote:
Jerry, that I've found to be a very enjoyable read.


What a strange world we have, refined or barbaric, there always seems to be a good and it can be the best medicine...sometimes you just need an IV full to manage not a frown



Apr 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Tenn.Jer
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


StillFingerz wrote:
Jerry, are you hand-holding these stacked images, using a tripod w/macro rails or something like automated like StackShot? In a controlled environment I used a geared head and macro rails but in the field I only handhold so far...thanks for any input...JerrySF


Jerry, I use a sturdy tripod, and a remote release for stability. Since I usually focus at 10x magnification in live-view, the mirror is locked up anyway. I focus at the closest point, gradually working toward the back of the bloom - by eye more than anything else. I've only been doing this stacking stuff for a week, so I'm still working things out. The biggest hazard so far is gentle breezes that I can't even see until I have high magnification; even my breath and body movements stir up enough air to move the flower...

One thing I plan to change is aperture size; I normally shoot at f/11 to maximize DOF, but I'd get a creamier background with larger apertures. This means that the focus points will be more critical, with thinner slices in sharp focus, but I'll see how this goes - I may be able to go out tomorrow morning.

I've never gotten around to getting a rail system, though I've wanted one for a while. The "StackShot" I just heard of the other night when I downloaded the Helicon Focus software. I'm going to work on method for a bit before I invest in more equipment.

I like the results so far - I've long been a bit frustrated with my macro floral work because I've had to include the blurry parts of some really tiny wildflowers as part of the "artistic" aspect, when I'd sometimes like the whole bloom sharply rendered, front to back. It's nice to have the choice, at least...

(Other) Jerry





Twisted Trillium, 4 images; see the creamier BG with larger aperture

  EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens    100mm    f/4.0    1/50s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  




Apr 16, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Jefferson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


From today






DOGwood...

Edited on Apr 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM · View previous versions



Apr 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


John_T wrote:
Well Peter, I think we all know that for some mysterious reason the 100-400 does not like filters, particularly "protective" filters, but whatever it is, I can imagine it would include a CP filter. I think my CP for the 100-400 is a Heliopan, first chance I get I'll give that a spin and see what I find.


John, I've never had any problems with B+W UV MRC filter on 100-400. However, this CP is very different....it altered/obliterated the image quality of that good lens.
Now, on my B+W CP it says "F-Pro", but not "MCR". However, I doubt very much that would make any difference because that CP has worked very well on 24-70L, 16-35L MkI and 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS.

Here is another example. 1DX + 100-400 + CP.


Edited on Apr 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM · View previous versions



Apr 16, 2013 at 12:40 AM
tbartick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


Peter...stunning capture above....

We have a little spring showers today...caught this between wet clouds.

Shot same as all my other iris shots.







Thanks as always for looking!

My husband says I grow these to photo them!! I think he is right...both garden and photography, a deep passion.

terry



Apr 16, 2013 at 01:16 AM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


Peter, very odd behavior for a CPL, this last image has, it seems, a ton of noise in the shadow area; tail feathers and lower/mid body. The pijuns upper body/head looks okay but this is not your 'normal' shot. I've not purchased a CPL for my newer EF lenses; not had occasion to need use one yet, but I am looking to get one for my 17-40L. Now curious, I'll be interested in your future findings, and will do more research...thanks for posting/testing


Apr 16, 2013 at 01:27 AM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


tbartick wrote:
Peter...stunning capture above....

We have a little spring showers today...caught this between wet clouds.

Shot same as all my other iris shots.

http://tbartick.smugmug.com/Other/Terry-Iris-Collection-2013/i-gbnL4T5/0/X2/0225jpeg-X2.jpg

Thanks as always for looking!

My husband says I grow these to photo them!! I think he is right...both garden and photography, a deep passion.

terry


Terry, WOW, to have a garden as such must be wonderful, your image is fantastic, stacking really brings forth the dynamic colors, shapes and textures of that flower. I to share a love of gardens and photography, your images are inspiring, well seen and shot
Jerry



Apr 16, 2013 at 01:32 AM
tbartick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


Jerry- you made my day!!!! Thank you.




Apr 16, 2013 at 01:43 AM
Ernie Aubert
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


That iris shot is over-the-top good... it's spectacular!


Apr 16, 2013 at 01:55 AM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


tbartick wrote:
My husband says I grow these to photo them!! I think he is right...both garden and photography, a deep passion.

terry


Another example of Terry's superior artistry: the clarity and life-like quality of that iris is incredible.



Apr 16, 2013 at 02:30 AM
tbartick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


Peter- wow. Thank you very much!

I can't tell you how good it feels to be behind the camera again. I have had a neck/shoulder injury for the past 2 years!!! Time.........

Terry



Apr 16, 2013 at 02:54 AM
tbartick
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


Ernie- thank you for the nice comment!!


Apr 16, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Photon
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · Anyone up/in for a "Canon Spring 2013" Thread???


No photography today, just taxes and errands. Here's one from Sunday.




  Canon EOS-1D X    EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    300mm    f/3.2    1/6400s    800 ISO    +0.3 EV  




Apr 16, 2013 at 04:02 AM
1       2       3              16      
17
       18              38       39       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
17
       18              38       39       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password