Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

Chrissearle wrote:
I know it has had a brief mention but as the OP is keeping his DSLRs and just wants a portable solution for landscapes then surely the Sigma DPM series is the answer. You will not get better detail rendition, particularly at infinity with any other portable offering. I have a 5D3 and Zeiss Glass, I use an RRS tripod/head and I can still get better detail with my DP2M handheld ( on a sunny day). OK, ok, we all know there are issues, the battery life, the convoluted processing, the occasional odd colours, that goes without saying I think,
...Show more

If your primary concern is detail, I'd agree, mostly (the DPM's don't significantly outresolve the NEX-7 although they do have a mild advantage). Unfortunately if colour rendition and dynamic range are also IQ considerations the DPM series comes out behind the NEX-7 as the DPM's lag significantly in pretty much every IQ regard except pure resolution.

Apr 03, 2013 at 10:05 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

hiepphotog wrote:
How's the AEB on the OMD?

Spacing only as much as 1 EV between shots but you can do up to 7 shots which gets you a wide enough spread. Doesn't work well with timer but does work fine with wired remote. With 9fps burst mode just hold down the remote and it bursts the whole AEB sequence and then stops. Pretty functional. Still don't understand why almost no camera does timer plus AEB intelligently...

Ken

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:13 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

kwalsh wrote:
Spacing only as much as 1 EV between shots but you can do up to 7 shots which gets you a wide enough spread. Doesn't work well with timer but does work fine with wired remote. With 9fps burst mode just hold down the remote and it bursts the whole AEB sequence and then stops. Pretty functional. Still don't understand why almost no camera does timer plus AEB intelligently...

Ken

You mean mirrorless cameras? I know the A900 does have an AEB MLU mode (basically 2sec timer). The funny thing is the A99 couldn't do a timer plus AEB. But I think it's just because of Sony, going forward and backward at the same time.

And I do prefer a 3-shot 2eV bracket over a 5-shot 1eV bracket (less problematic). I remember a guy from another forum showing that for most of HDR work, you only need 2 shots 4eV apart. It would significantly reduce any ghosting problem and you have only a bit noisier mid-tone.

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.