Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

mawz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

The main issue with the NEX-7 for me is tripod-handling. I absolutely loved my NEX-7 as a handheld camera but the tripod limitations were frustrating.

The issues are:

1. Small tripod mount. All the NEX cameras are extremely thin at the tripod mount and do not have a secure mount. Using an adapter with a mount or the JimBuchanan grip solves this.

2. Lack of remote/anti-shock release options. The NEX-7 has no support for any remote release beyond a front IR sensor. It also only offers 2 and 10 second self-timers, which are either too short or too long. The NEX-6 doesn't have this issue as it has both the Wifi release via the PlayMemories App and a wired release. The NEX-7N will support at least the wired release (as it relies on the new flash shoe).

3. The poor eyecup. This is a minor issue as it only crops up sometimes, but when it does it's difficult to compose due to light leaking into the eyecup and washing the view out. Sony needs to offer a deep eyecup like the one Olympus offers for the OM-D.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Gyroscope
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

I would probably get an RRS camera plate for tripod use. A remote release is important - especially doing bulb exposures. It sounds like it might be worth waiting to see what features are in the 7n. I'm in no hurry as I won't be going overseas again till October.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

Gyroscope wrote:
No AF is not essential for primes. I am used to liveview manual focusing with my 24 ts-e. i hadn't thought about the extra distortion of ultra wide. I guess a 24mm equivalent FL would be enough for most of my purposes.

For the 24ish, the Minolta MD 17/4 is my choice. It's sharp enough wide open, but best at f/5.6 or 8, and has fantastic colors. It's been too long since I used the 17-40 to compare performance, but I'd be surprised if it's far behind the zoom. The Minolta has the advantage of being even better close up than it is at landscape distances, so you can use it in tight spaces without a worry. That said, if I wanted something with a more clean, modern draw, I'd look at a Zeiss 18. The ZM I know would require some corner work, but from what I've seen, it'd be worth it. The ZF is pretty great straight out of the camera.

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:19 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

itai195 wrote:
Heh, well I could be wrong but that's how it looks from the photos they've posted so far.

I guess I've only seen the X-mounts. Oh, well. Why I should I expect them to change now?

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:34 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.3 #5 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

All easy fixed, mawz, but indicate the kind of camera and market niche Sony thought they were aiming at. Camera design must be a strange business at times.

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:09 AM
waardij

p.3 #6 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

My first post here.
I have used the NEX-7 a lot for landscapes and large prints (great 20x30, very reasonable 24x36). A wide angle solution I really like, although not small, is a LA-EA1 (or 2) with the Sigma 8-16. that lens is really good. Even better is the Samyang 14mm. gives a really great 21mm equivalent. the Samyang might need distortion correction with PTLens.
JTec has a nice tripod solution for use with native lenses. I prefer JTec over RRS in this case, since it is smaller.

Mar 31, 2013 at 01:41 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.3 #7 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

mawz wrote:
The main issue with the NEX-7 for me is tripod-handling. I absolutely loved my NEX-7 as a handheld camera but the tripod limitations were frustrating.

The issues are:
2. Lack of remote/anti-shock release options. The NEX-7 has no support for any remote release beyond a front IR sensor. It also only offers 2 and 10 second self-timers, which are either too short or too long. The NEX-6 doesn't have this issue as it has both the Wifi release via the PlayMemories App and a wired release. The NEX-7N will support at least the wired release (as it relies on the new flash
...Show more

This is definitely the most off putting thing for tripod work. It seems like Sony can't superimpose a self-timer with an AEB. There is a wired release mod out there for the NEX-7, but it would involve some tinkering with the hardware.

I see a few suggestions for the OMD and XE-1. How's the AEB on the OMD? I know the XE-1 is limited at 1eV for a 3-shot bracket, which is quite useless. Right now, the Fuji is not a serious contender without a stronger support from Adobe. JPEG is fine for many cases, but the latitude is not there when you need it. It's just those few occasions when you wish for a bit more that you regret getting the damn thing. The 14mm is a darn fine lens, but I guess the Zeiss 12mm would be just as good. I will be waiting for the 2nd gen of the X-trans with a, hopefully, more mature RAW support.

Mar 31, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.3 #8 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

Okay so I was just looking at the Sony RX1. I know its expensive and fixed lens only but WOW that looks like it could give some kick ass images and video. Maybe I should throw this into the mix.

Apr 01, 2013 at 01:48 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #9 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

Gyroscope wrote:
Okay so I was just looking at the Sony RX1. I know its expensive and fixed lens only but WOW that looks like it could give some kick ass images and video. Maybe I should throw this into the mix.

I'm right there with you. The images on the RX1 thread really have something special - from multiple posters. Just fantastic.

However, I am really taken with the results of the E-M5. I currently own an 5DII and this is my go to camera for detail, resolution etc... Have you looked at the E-M5 comparison with the 5DII on DPR. Amazing, I would never have thought such a small sensor would have such great output.

Apr 01, 2013 at 02:05 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

Gyroscope wrote:
My interests are landscapes and wildlife. I could never replace my Canon DSLR's and big telephoto's with a mirrorless obviously but I am considering buying into a mirrorless system for 2 reasons. 1) I would hope that I could use the mirrorless for landscapes at times - especially when I have to walk some distance (or for a lighter backup body). 2) On overseas trips (to africa for example) when carrying my 500mm F4 & mid range zoom and a couple of DSLR's I could leave all my wide and medium range Canon lenses and my 3rd DSLR body at
...Show more

Of all the cameras you mention the Sony NEX-7 has the best dynamic range of all (and any Canon made for that matter!). Color depth is also superb. Choose the best optics available for it and the results should be stunning and worthy of large enlargements if you do your part.

The Sony RX1 is even better but limited to its own lens.

Apr 01, 2013 at 03:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
• • • •
p.3 #11 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

Well, since others raised it, I also decided the RX1 is the answer to most questions I have of a camera for travel, landscape, backup, second shooter, dark interiors, candid, just about everything - uncompromising IQ, relative ease of use, no dramatic drawbacks. And that special magic only the great lenses have.

DxO metrics indicate the RX1 and D800 sensors are virtually a dead heat for everything that matters. They look identical, but with different densities.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/833|0/%28brand%29/Sony/%28appareil2%29/792|0/%28brand2%29/Nikon

The lens is so good it's hard to think what would match it in real world settings. The bokeh is also very, very good. It is great at f2 and diffraction sets in only after f11 - a real boon for deep DOF landscapes. No sensor dust, great file quality, easy RC PP, great B&W.

35mm is a great focal length for both travel and landscape, again take a look at the RX1 image thread. You can use it for tripod work very easily. The whole RX1 package weighs less than a ZE 35mm f2 lens alone. It would have been a fine camera if it was just at the standard of the latest Fujis, let alone approximating a D800.

Don't have high expectations of video, the FF Sonys are really not geared for a broad range of video usage. There are also some foibles - battery life, sometimes 'poor' AF, config issues, no inbuilt EVF. Small prices to pay.

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:39 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #12 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

I am worried that the RX1 fixed lens will be too limiting. But agree with everything else you have said.

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:44 AM
Glenn NK
• •
p.3 #13 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

galenapass wrote:
I'm right there with you. The images on the RX1 thread really have something special - from multiple posters. Just fantastic.

However, I am really taken with the results of the E-M5. I currently own an 5DII and this is my go to camera for detail, resolution etc... Have you looked at the E-M5 comparison with the 5DII on DPR. Amazing, I would never have thought such a small sensor would have such great output.

Mike:

I just looked at the DPR Raw results for the RX1 compared to the E-M5, 5DII, and Fuji X-E1. I check ISO values from 200 to 1600 or so.

I like to use the "fuzz balls" (to left of centre) to judge sharpness; the Sony seems to beat the 5DII and the X-E1, but not the E-M5.

On the yellow hair (lower right corner), the 5DII and the E-M5 both beat the Sony for resolution (the Oly X-E1 gave up!).

On the belt of the little blue robot (to left of yellow hair), the Oly and Canon both beat the Sony and the Oly.

A fixed lens camera for $2800? Not again - I had an Olympus rangefinder (fixed 48 mm lens) way back when and gave it away. It was just too limiting and I was a real beginner.

Glenn

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:46 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.3 #14 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

Glenn,

That is what I am seeing on DPR as well. I will be setting up a rental for the E-M5 tomorrow. I suspect that the Oly has a very weak AA filter on the sensor.

As for the RX1, I love what am seeing for output, but, I tend to use 50-80mm a lot when I travel so the 35mm fixed lens on the RX1, while very useful, would be a little limiting for me personally. Add to that the price, and I begin to shy away.

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:59 AM
Glenn NK
• •
p.3 #15 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

galenapass wrote:
Glenn,

That is what I am seeing on DPR as well. I will be setting up a rental for the E-M5 tomorrow. I suspect that the Oly has a very weak AA filter on the sensor.

As for the RX1, I love what am seeing for output, but, I tend to use 50-80mm a lot when I travel so the 35mm fixed lens on the RX1, while very useful, would be a little limiting for me personally. Add to that the price, and I begin to shy away.

I will be waiting impatiently for your findings and comments.

I don't know about the Olympus, but the Fuji X-E1 has no AA filter because it has a so-called X-Trans sensor (not a Bayer array). And in spite of this, the sharpness does not seem to be there with the Fuji.

It's very clean at high ISO, but it's also soft at high ISO - so what's the point?

Glenn

Apr 01, 2013 at 06:11 AM
AlexDROP
• •
p.3 #16 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

Considering Fuji X-trans sensor sharpness. Sorry I've couldn't resist to not to say my 2 cents.
The only raw-convertor that retains all details from X-trans at per-pixel level is... IS C1 Pro. You could check it yourself simply downloading its free trial version and Fuji X raw samples from DPR. Get shocked by the clarity that C1 gives to fuji raws.
When I processed Canon 6D and Fuji X-E1 raw samples (ISO 200 and 1600) in C1 Pro at my best my wife said "not much difference if any yet this one (fuji) appeals me more".
The only thing that is stopping me now from buying Fuji X bundle is so-so OOF area contrast of X-lenses compared to ZE/ZF.

Apr 01, 2013 at 07:05 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.3 #17 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

I know it has had a brief mention but as the OP is keeping his DSLRs and just wants a portable solution for landscapes then surely the Sigma DPM series is the answer. You will not get better detail rendition, particularly at infinity with any other portable offering. I have a 5D3 and Zeiss Glass, I use an RRS tripod/head and I can still get better detail with my DP2M handheld ( on a sunny day). OK, ok, we all know there are issues, the battery life, the convoluted processing, the occasional odd colours, that goes without saying I think, but ( I'll say it again) for static subjects like landscapes, there is no current superior portable solution.

Apr 01, 2013 at 08:07 AM
Karel Geertsem

p.3 #18 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

Frezeiss, thank you for the < 50 mm warning ( I bought the X-e1 also for a trip to Bali), 14 mm looks great!

Glenn, the X-E1 files need agressive sharpening, the resolution is there.

AlexDROP, Played with the Capture One software (trial), indeed: much better than Lightroom 4.3 for Fuji.

It is great to have so much choice and see so much innovation outside Canon/Nikon isn't it?

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:00 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.3 #19 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

'It was just too limiting and I was a real beginner.'

Most RX1 users are hard bitten photographers with decades of experience, generally with Leica, Medium Format or DSLR. I don't claim it is the best for balls, fuzzy or otherwise, yellow hair robots and the like...so it takes all kinds, this wacky world of imaging, lol ;-)

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:10 AM
Glenn NK
• •
p.3 #20 · Replace DSLR with mirrorless? - mainly landscapes.

philip_pj wrote:
'It was just too limiting and I was a real beginner.'

Most RX1 users are hard bitten photographers with decades of experience, generally with Leica, Medium Format or DSLR. I don't claim it is the best for balls, fuzzy or otherwise, yellow hair robots and the like...so it takes all kinds, this wacky world of imaging, lol ;-)

"I was a real beginner" - In 1962 there weren't as many affordable lens options - particularly for a rangefinder.

And the fuzzy balls make it easy to judge sharpness (as does hair of any colour).

Glenn

Apr 02, 2013 at 04:37 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password