Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 400 f2.8 II non IS focus help

5fletts

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 400 f2.8 II non IS focus help

I recently purchased a Canon 400mm f2.8 II Non IS, and after taking some pics with it I noticed they were soft on the focus so I tried to make the micro adjustment myself and got it pretty sharp, but not tack sharp. I also tested it by having my daughter run towards me while I fired away and it seemed to go from slightly soft at the furthest point, to a sharper sweet spot mid way, then back to soft as she got closer to me but still outside the minimum focus limit. My question is - do I need to send it off to be calibrated and fine tuned or is this as good as it's going to get since it's an older model? It's not nearly as sharp as my 70-200mm 2.8 IS. By the way, I'm shooting with a 7d that is barely a year old. Thanks for any advice you guys can give me on this!

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Canon 400 f2.8 II non IS focus help

The 400/2.8 II was a very sharp lens, so something is not right. Is the UV filter installed in the holder?

Can you post some test images of stationary subject focused manually with the live view for example?

EBH

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:36 PM
onesickpuppy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Canon 400 f2.8 II non IS focus help

What was your Shutter Speed during the test?? What F stop??
Hand held..tripod...monopod??

Also...have you confirmed where the focal point was in the tests?

Samples would help too

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:21 AM
wuping
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Canon 400 f2.8 II non IS focus help

Since it is an older lens, I'd recommend that you have the lens cleaned and calibrated. After a while the lubricants tend to get sluggish as well as some dirt buildup. I sent my older 300mm f2.8 to Midstate camera in Warwick Rhode Island. They cleaned the internal optics, re-lubed and calibrated the lens for less than $200. It came back working like new. Turn around time was less than two weeks.

Apr 01, 2013 at 11:42 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 400 f2.8 II non IS focus help

wuping wrote:
Since it is an older lens, I'd recommend that you have the lens cleaned and calibrated. After a while the lubricants tend to get sluggish as well as some dirt buildup. I sent my older 300mm f2.8 to Midstate camera in Warwick Rhode Island. They cleaned the internal optics, re-lubed and calibrated the lens for less than $200. It came back working like new. Turn around time was less than two weeks.

Good Advice, if it has not been recently serviced by a third party company, do it. If it needs parts, its better to find out ASAP, they might still have some around.

Apr 02, 2013 at 08:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password