Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

esanchez
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

Just got my 5D mark III a few days ago and about 80% of my pics are out of focus. So I been reading the manual and I'm a bit confused on when to use what points at certain apertures. If I use the 5 center autofocus points with an aperture of 2.8 or lower the focus works great. So If I'm using my 50mm 1.2 and want to use either the left or right focus points at anything below 2.8 the pictures are out of focus. So based on what I read on the manual if I'm going to shoot at below 2.8 should I should I always stay with the center focus points? If that is true what is the point of the 61 point auto focus system if I'm going to have to focus and recompose like I did with my 5D mark II. if I decide on using other than the center focus points should I be between F2.8-F4 since these are the only aperture these focus points are cross type?

I want to shoot at or below 2.8 with my 50mm 1.2, @F2 with my 100mm F2 and @ 2.8 with my 70-200mm. What focus points should I use to make sure the camera focus correctly. All settings are set to default as far as AF goes. So far I have only been shooting static objects and some portraits.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:52 PM
James Taylor
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

I'm pretty happy with my 50L and 85L at or below F2 on the 5DMKIII. However, I did need to micro adjust them. Have you tried that? Could make a world of difference.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Michael Wayne

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

Not sure if this is allowed but I was having the same issues and the stock manual is a joke but this helped me understand it much better!

Hope this helps!

http://www.dojoklo.com/Full_Stop/previews/Canon_5D_MkIII_Experience-Preview.pdf

MW!

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:15 PM
esanchez
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

Haven't tried MA...I'll be doing that this weekend see if it helps.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:34 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

esanchez wrote:
Just got my 5D mark III a few days ago and about 80% of my pics are out of focus. So I been reading the manual and I'm a bit confused on when to use what points at certain apertures. If I use the 5 center autofocus points with an aperture of 2.8 or lower the focus works great. So If I'm using my 50mm 1.2 and want to use either the left or right focus points at anything below 2.8 the pictures are out of focus. So based on what I read on the manual if I'm going to
...Show more

In essence, you have to select the AF point of your choice manually. I love using the "joystick" (Canon has a different term for that and at this point, I don't remember how they call it) for that purpose. You can select all 61 points or limit the selection to only cross AF points or 15 or just only 9. You can move your selection around within the parameter you preselect, in other words.

You set the camera to AV and you set the aperture to be whatever you want within the aperture range of the lens of your choice. Keep in mind that if you set it to f/1.2 and the ISO setting is fairly high for outdoor shots, your picture may be overexposed. The corresponding shutter speed will blink in the viewfinder display. This is just a brief, very brief tip on how to do it.

Hope this helps or actually this is what you are looking for....

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:49 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

For extremely shallow depth of field, be sure to use just a single point. And one-shot, not servo. Don't pre-focus and wait even a second; if your subject moves or your body moves while you are half-pressing the shutter button, you will get a bad result.

I have been getting very good (not perfect, but approx 90% keepers) results using the outer points at f/1.4 on the 35L. And also very good at f/1.8 with the 85mm f/1.8. Neither one is as demanding as f/1.2 on an 85mm. Stopping down a bit to compose with the outer points may be sensible.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

Michael Wayne wrote:
Not sure if this is allowed but I was having the same issues and the stock manual is a joke but this helped me understand it much better! Hope this helps! http://www.dojoklo.com/Full_Stop/previews/Canon_5D_MkIII_Experience-Preview.pdf

Welcome to FM (first post)!

I don't see anything there that would not be "allowed". It is a link to a 22 page 'e-book' about the 5D3. Just the kind of thing we talk about here and encourage.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:48 AM
CbJohn
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

Well as long as the author sanctions the posting, it does say no part of this ebook may be shared or distributed without the author's permission.

Mar 30, 2013 at 02:06 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

esanchez wrote:
...So based on what I read on the manual if I'm going to shoot at below 2.8 should I should I always stay with the center focus points? ... if I decide on using other than the center focus points should I be between F2.8-F4 since these are the only aperture these focus points are cross type?

What this means is that certain AF points will only work as cross-type or at highest accuracy when used with a lens of a maximum aperture of at least a certain value (2.8, 4 in the case of the 5D III). You can always use lenses of wider max aperture such as your f/1.2. Also, the shooting aperture does not matter. You can shoot the 50/1.2 at f/11 and get full functionality and accuracy from all AF points.

I find the off-center AF points in the 5D III very accurate. Unless there is a factory misalignment of the AF sensors, you should get good results from all of the cross points if the center point(s) are accurate. MicroAdjustment may or may not be necessary.

I find that for close range hand held work at maximum aperture, it helps to use servo AF even for still subjects. The reason is that I am not a human tripod, and can easily rock forward and back enough to put a subject outside the DOF of a fraction of an inch. You may want to experiment with that for things like portraits from 3 to 5 feet. Back button servo AF is nice for more than just action shooting!

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

docsmiles17
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

esanchez wrote:
Just got my 5D mark III a few days ago and about 80% of my pics are out of focus. So I been reading the manual and I'm a bit confused on when to use what points at certain apertures.

So glad I found this thread....Just got 5dmk iii also and having similar issues. I likely need to read the e-book but have seen some other threads about focus issues and micro-adjusting. Sorry if this is a silly question but How would I know if I need to micro adjust and does it specifically compensate for all selectable areas of AF or only specific ones? Is is easy to do or is it best to have Canon do it?

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:10 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

Michael Wayne wrote:
Not sure if this is allowed but I was having the same issues and the stock manual is a joke but this helped me understand it much better! http://www.dojoklo.com/Full_Stop/previews/Canon_5D_MkIII_Experience-Preview.pdf

CbJohn wrote:
Well as long as the author sanctions the posting, it does say no part of this ebook may be shared or distributed without the author's permission.

It's a preview, an invitation to purchase a longer e-book. Perhaps better to post the link to the page offering the e-book for sale, which contains the link to the preview:

http://www.dojoklo.com/Full_Stop/Canon_5DMkIII_Experience.htm

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:45 AM
Michael Wayne

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

Monito wrote:
Welcome to FM (first post)!

I don't see anything there that would not be "allowed". It is a link to a 22 page 'e-book' about the 5D3. Just the kind of thing we talk about here and encourage.

It's a preview, an invitation to purchase a longer e-book. Perhaps better to post the link to the page offering the e-book for sale, which contains the link to the preview:

Thank you for the welcome and the info!

I was not sure if it was allowed or not...I am/was just trying to help. It is a great ebook and much better/easier to understand, than the standard manual.

I have been a lurker for a long time...but decided to come out of the shadows and into the light!

Thanks again...Monito!

MW~

Mar 30, 2013 at 01:25 PM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

Monito wrote:

I have the Kindle version of his book. It was a fine reference if I needed to get a better understanding of some of the 5D MkIII features!

Mar 30, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

esanchez wrote:
Just got my 5D mark III a few days ago and about 80% of my pics are out of focus. So I been reading the manual and I'm a bit confused on when to use what points at certain apertures. If I use the 5 center autofocus points with an aperture of 2.8 or lower the focus works great. So If I'm using my 50mm 1.2 and want to use either the left or right focus points at anything below 2.8 the pictures are out of focus...

I haven't seen this answered yet, the extreme left and right focus points are linear, sensitive only to horizontal lines, with all aperture lenses. Depending on the OP's subject matter these focus points may fail where the ones next door would succeed. Shooting in one-shot prevents the camera from firing if it thinks it failed to achieve focus and there is a setting that restricts focus point selection to cross type focus points.

Do you have the same problem with your 24-105? Judging by the number of times the subject of focus issues with f1.2 lenses comes up, I would guess getting accurate outer focus is subject to a learning curve. Among the prosumer bodies, the 7D and 5D3 offer more complicated and configurable focus systems which compound the learning curve. Practice and patience often help. It certainly took me a lot longer to figure out these cameras focus systems than my earlier 9 point cameras.

Mar 30, 2013 at 03:03 PM
esanchez
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

Jeff, I think you are correct...it is taking me more time to figure out the focus time on this camera than in my earlier 9 point cameras..

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:09 AM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

esanchez.

I love the AF on the 5D3 after coming from the 5D2. That said, I usually stick to one focus point (centre) with the 50L at large apertures. If I'm at 2.8 or smaller I'll go with the expanded centre-point.

I found the 50L to be a little challenging at first. Now I'm pretty happy with my shots. The 5D3's AF is a lot more accurate for me with the 50L. MA is pretty important in my view. Especially with such a shallow DOF at 1.2.

The first thing I did with the 5D3 was MA all my lenses. They all needed adjusting from the 5D2 settings.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:27 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

I'm surprised nobody (not even me) has posted this yet:

Here are the Canon video tutorials on the 5D3, suitable for even downloading onto a card to have handy in the camera. Six of the 14 are about the Auto-Focus system.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos_5d_markiii_tutorials.shtml

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · confused on 5D mark III focus.

The 50mm 1.2 has a fairly well-known focus-shift phenomenon when the aperture is stopped down, especially at very close focus distances (less than 1 metre)

This means that even if the focus is perfect at f/1.2 (and the AF focuses with the lens wide open), the focus will be off if a shot is taken at f/2

How to work around this? Try using the 50mm at f/1.2. Or don't use it at close distances. Other lenses like the 100mm f/2 or the 70-200 shouldn't have this problem

Apr 02, 2013 at 02:12 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password