Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert
  
 
Iron_Dreamer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


I managed to get a quick trip out to the high desert last week, my first time in Joshua Tree. The sky wasn't always particularly cooperative, but I did mange to pull in a few interesting shots in my time there. The sunset during that first shot was quite a revelation after a hazy, generally less than appealing afternoon.

Fiery Sunset over Cholla Garden


Valley of the Joshua Trees


Desert Nights




Mar 29, 2013 at 08:53 PM
Scott Kroeker
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


#1 is quite nice! Love the colours!


Mar 30, 2013 at 01:07 AM
kwalsh
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


Nice. I love the feel of the 2nd one particularly.

I need to drag myself back to Joshua Tree at some point. I have a very strong preference for Death Valley myself but I sort of feel I didn't give JTree enough of a chance when I was there the last time.

Ken



Mar 30, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Iron_Dreamer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


They're both pretty different, from what I've seen thus far, Ken. It's hard for me to pick a preference for one over the other, thus far, as it's a bit of a comparison between the greater flora of Joshua Tree, versus the greater terrain/geology of Death Valley.

What time of year did you visit Joshua Tree? I specifically chose to go during spring for the bloom, and it made a nice difference to our experience. I'd also think that going there during a winter storm or summer monsoon could be quite an interesting time as well.



Apr 01, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Tuan Le
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


Very nice and well done series, particularly 1 and 2. I would like 3 more if there were more stars and no headlights. Just got back from camping out for 2 nights at JTNP and always enjoy my time there no matter what the season.


Apr 02, 2013 at 04:27 AM
Heinz H
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


#2 for me. I like the feeling of heat in that picture. Great DOF and composition.

Heinz



Apr 02, 2013 at 05:24 AM
JimFox
Offline
• • • • • • •
Moderator
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


Hey Peter,

#1 is a really cool looking shot, and I like how you worked the sun in #2. With #3, I really like the cloud movement in the sky, but I think all the headlights on the road are a big distraction. Perhaps blend in on the bottom a shorter length shot where there are no car lights?

How were the blooms. I think the Joshua Trees had been blooming, anything else?

Jim



Apr 02, 2013 at 06:26 AM
kwalsh
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


Hi Peter,

I've been to JTree a few times, but the time I was there with more time for photography and hiking was in the late fall. I agree the flora variety is unique to the place, especially the contact between Mojave and Sonoran biotic zones.

I don't know, something just didn't click with me. I love the desert, lived in the Mojave and Sonoran deserts for seven years and I still visit them every chance I can get despite living on the opposite side of the country now. Maybe I was just too jaded and "seen it all before" by the time I made a dedicated trip there. As to its name sake (Joshua Trees) I couldn't help thinking "Cima Dome's are bigger and denser, and Lee Flat is more extensive as well". The boulders, "Alabama Hills are way more impressive". As for potential blooms, "Anza Borrego will trump this". In the back of my head "where are the playas and the dunes?" Something just made me utterly fail to appreciate it for what it is on its own, which undoubtedly was my loss! And bizarre too - when I lived in the NW Mojave I reveled in visiting off the beaten path areas that most would probably consider "featureless". Not sure what went wrong on my visit...

Ken



Apr 02, 2013 at 01:37 PM
douter
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


Love the pastels in the first and the sense of motion in the last.
Douglas



Apr 02, 2013 at 01:50 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Sunny Sra
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


Nicely done, i like #1 and 3 the best. looking forward to seeing more.


Apr 02, 2013 at 03:41 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


2 and 3 I really like, the first one IMO could do without the distracting cactus.


Apr 02, 2013 at 03:50 PM
Iron_Dreamer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


Tuan Le wrote:
Very nice and well done series, particularly 1 and 2. I would like 3 more if there were more stars and no headlights. Just got back from camping out for 2 nights at JTNP and always enjoy my time there no matter what the season.


Thank you. The headlights were an intended part of the shot, of the scene in #3. While it's not wilderness, it's a representation of that portion of our desert, and the motion of our world through it. natural and human.

Heinz H wrote:
#2 for me. I like the feeling of heat in that picture. Great DOF and composition.

Heinz


Thank you, it was only about 55F at the time, but sure looks warmer than that, eh?

JimFox wrote:
Hey Peter,

#1 is a really cool looking shot, and I like how you worked the sun in #2. With #3, I really like the cloud movement in the sky, but I think all the headlights on the road are a big distraction. Perhaps blend in on the bottom a shorter length shot where there are no car lights?

How were the blooms. I think the Joshua Trees had been blooming, anything else?

Jim


Thanks Jim, see my first post regarding shot #3. It would feel disingenuous to me to alter the shot that significantly, and I like it for what it represents. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities in the future to capture a more "pure" cloud-motion in the desert type shot if I so desire.

The blooms were nice, the Joshua Trees were blooming, as were a number of other plants in the lower, Colorado Desert section of the park. I'm not sure that I like any of those type shots that I ended up with, but that's often how I feel immediately after a trip, and perhaps they will look better too me given a little time.



kwalsh wrote:
I don't know, something just didn't click with me. I love the desert, lived in the Mojave and Sonoran deserts for seven years and I still visit them every chance I can get despite living on the opposite side of the country now. Maybe I was just too jaded and "seen it all before" by the time I made a dedicated trip there. As to its name sake (Joshua Trees) I couldn't help thinking "Cima Dome's are bigger and denser, and Lee Flat is more extensive as well". The boulders, "Alabama Hills are way more impressive". As for potential blooms,
...Show more

I see what you're saying, and certainly your personal experience had a lot to do with flavoring your view of the park. I haven't had nearly the exposure to that particular type of desert area, so there was a bit more newness for me.


douter wrote:
Love the pastels in the first and the sense of motion in the last.
Douglas


Thanks Douglas!

BenV wrote:
2 and 3 I really like, the first one IMO could do without the distracting cactus.


Thank you. Which areas of the cactus in #1 do you find distracting? Or is it all the cactus, just distracting from the sunset? I was in that area to shoot the cactus itself specifically, so it was an integral part of my vision for that scene.



Apr 02, 2013 at 09:50 PM
irishjim
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


Very nice I Like #1 the best.


Apr 02, 2013 at 11:11 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


Iron_Dreamer wrote:
Thank you. Which areas of the cactus in #1 do you find distracting? Or is it all the cactus, just distracting from the sunset? I was in that area to shoot the cactus itself specifically, so it was an integral part of my vision for that scene.


The whole cactus to me seems like its trying to photo bomb the photo

but as others have mentioned, #1 is their favorite, so its a case of not being able to please everyone. I think #2 would be my pick.



Apr 04, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Iron_Dreamer
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


BenV wrote:
The whole cactus to me seems like its trying to photo bomb the photo

but as others have mentioned, #1 is their favorite, so its a case of not being able to please everyone. I think #2 would be my pick.


Of course, if we all liked the same things, where would the fun in that be?



Apr 04, 2013 at 07:27 PM
Alex Mody
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


Beautiful shots. Thanks for sharing!


Apr 05, 2013 at 04:33 PM
alatoo60
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Joshua Tree and the California Desert


#2 for me!


Apr 06, 2013 at 10:01 PM





FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password