Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

I was curious what people use as a lens cap for the Canon 600mm II. I already know about the Don Zeck cap, and was curious how people using it felt about it as well as anything else you may use. Once again, thanks for any and all of the input. Jeff

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:57 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

I used Don Zeck or Optech hoodie or even "Tupperware" caps for my Mark I lenses but for the very first time I am using Canon own lens cap/cover with the Mark II. They are easy to take off and on, plus no more laces.... . Come to think of it, I better put the generic caps/cover for sale before too long.

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:04 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

I like the stock 600mm IS II lens cap.

I see no need to replace it.

It is a vast improvement over the the leather lens cap of the 200/300/400/500/600/800/1200.

A cheap alternative is the LensCoat "hoodie" product line but the neoprene edge sheers off over time. I use em for my 200/300/500/800.

But before I got a hoodie I used this.

Selecta Ice Cream by alabang, on Flickr

Peter swears by Don Zeck so it must be a good buy. I just dont liek the idea of anything touching the front element of the lens.

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

I use this on my 300

http://www.aquatech.net/Soft-Caps.php

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:41 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

use this w/ all of the super tele's i've owned:

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/lenscoat-hoodie-lens-cap-4xl.html

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:24 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

The biggest problem is nothing really fits rite with the lenscoat on

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:25 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

dolina wrote:
Peter swears by Don Zeck so it must be a good buy. I just dont liek the idea of anything touching the front element of the lens.

Compadre, we have gone thru that a few times in the past already: Zeck's cap doesn't touch the front element.

Athough the new hats are easier to take off/put back onto the hood, I still find the Zeck's cap significantly superior in the field. Quite often I do not even take the hood with me when there is stronger wind......how can I then protect the lens front element in transport ?

When in storage at home, my lenses are protected with Lenscoat "hoodies".

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

The Zeck caps fit just fine on my 200/1.8L, 300/2.8L IS, and 500/4L IS, and all of them wear LensCoats.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:31 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

Thanks again guy's, going to order azeck cap.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:42 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

wcj0 wrote:
Thanks again guy's, going to order azeck cap.

Good choice, Jeff. Remember that there is only one Zeck's cap model (C10) which is common to 600 IS MkI and 600 IS MkII lenses.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

I don't use the handle on my Zeck. If you ask Don (Zeck), he'll ship the cap without the handle installed. The handle and plastic rivets required to install it are still included, in case you change your mind, later. The handle lets you easily remove the cap when it's inside a big hood, but prevents you from safely standing the big lens on its nose, when the cap is on with hood reversed or not attached (as when I store them in my dry cabinet). The cap handle flattens out a lot to take less storage space, but it makes the lens tippy when you stand it on the cap with handle installed. When the handle is not installed, Don still adds the rivets to plug their four rivet holes, but I cut them off and cover the exterior of the cap with gaffer's tape. This covers the holes and reduces noise when you put the lens down on a hard surface. Without the handle, you can easily remove the Zeck from within a hooded lens with your ungloved finger tips. You might have to take the hood off to remove a dishandled Zeck when you're wearing thickish gloves.

This thread shows a photo of my gaffed Zeck for the 200/1.8L.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1191506/0#11362786

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:57 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

PetKal wroteCompadre, we have gone thru that a few times in the past already: Zeck's cap doesn't touch the front element.

Ah! I always had the impression it did! My mistake. If I didn't have the hoodies already I would be inclined to buy a Zeck cap.

I really wish these accessories only sell for $10. When I mean accessories like the lens cover, lens cap & lens foot. Sometimes I think the price reflects the application rather than the actual material cost, labor and other overhead.

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:10 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

Another vote for Zeck cap. The only on is that mine got lost in a hike a couple of weeks ago and @ $55 a pop, they are pricy to replace for a clumsy user like me. Trying the optech soft cap for now, and while not as secure, its working out ok

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:19 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

All these "LITTLE" exteras are adding up to big bucks. Not necessarily comapred to the price of the 600, but after spending the Bucks for the 600 i didn't plan on spending to much more considering i thought i had everything else covered. Didn't realize i needed a flash bracket to clear the lens, I knew i wanted a lens coat, but figured i would wait. However i didn't since i dont want the lens to get all scratched up. two days before deciding to buy the lens, I was on the forum reading about the great job the 2x converters were doing so i figured instead of using my two 4 x converters i bought a referb 2x from Canon for $399 to use with my 400 5.6. And a couple of days before that i bought a 2.5" external drive case and a 256gb SSD drive from New egg to store potos on while traveling. Hopefully the bill doesn't come in all at the same time.

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:43 PM
K mueller
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

The Don Zeck caps are nice, but i didn't like the handle on the front as you can't set the lens upright with the cap in place. The cap is nearly a half inch thick and would be nice if he milled a couple groves in the face of it to grab onto instead of the handle.

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:07 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

K mueller wrote:
The Don Zeck caps are nice, but i didn't like the handle on the front as you can't set the lens upright with the cap in place. The cap is nearly a half inch thick and would be nice if he milled a couple groves in the face of it to grab onto instead of the handle.

You don't have to get it with the handle. On my recent order I requested no handle and they were very accommodating. I have used the aquatech and the zeck caps and like them both.

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:02 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

K mueller wrote:
The Don Zeck caps are nice, but i didn't like the handle on the front...

You can pull the handle off the cap itself. The three rivets will pop out, but you can simply replace them or tape over the holes.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:04 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

mitesh wrote:
You can pull the handle off the cap itself. The three rivets will pop out, but you can simply replace them or tape over the holes.

+1
Yes, definitely. For one, Jim has shown us pictures of his handle-less cap a few times already.
However, I prefer to have the handle installed. To me the ease of cap placement/removal offsets the inability to rest the lens on its nose (because the handle interferes with lens stable footing).

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:38 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 600mm Lens Cap

dolina wrote:
I like the stock 600mm IS II lens cap.

I see no need to replace it.

It is a vast improvement over the the leather lens cap of the 200/300/400/500/600/800/1200.

A cheap alternative is the LensCoat "hoodie" product line but the neoprene edge sheers off over time. I use em for my 200/300/500/800.

But before I got a hoodie I used this.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4089/4966183017_081afbae20_z.jpg
Selecta Ice Cream by alabang, on Flickr

You remind me of my neighbor, was a hug sports photographer and he never used lens caps, because they would be a hassle with the hoods on, so he just used tupperware that would fit on the ends of the lens hoods. Still doe. He was a very DIY guy.

Apr 02, 2013 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password