Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lake Natoma

boingyman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lake Natoma

Here's two from this past Sunday at Lake Natoma in Folsom, CA. There was great cloud action and sunset colors. I defintiely rushed my shots and wish I spent more time composing, but I can always come back! I struggled with the processing of the second shot and it doesn't help still doing all my editing on my slow laptop. C&C appreciated.

1. 15 sec, f/8, ISO 100 (with B&W 10-stopper)

Parallel Reflection by boingyman., on Flickr

2. 2 sec, f/8, ISO 100

Lake Natoma Blaze by boingyman., on Flickr

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:47 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lake Natoma

What super cool clouds you had there. I like both, I think they both work. The shadows may be just a bit dark in the rocks of #2. Letting the trees go black works fine for me as they create a nice silhouette. While #2 does work, I think the color in #1 really carries that shot well.

Jim

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:40 AM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Lake Natoma

2 great shots here. I'll go with the first as my pick. I like the colors and reflection. And the way the clouds splay out.

JBR

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Lake Natoma

You might have a stronger composition for #2, try cropping approximately the upper left quadrant of the shot. JMTC

Matt

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #5 · Lake Natoma

Both nice images. My preference is for #1 mainly due to the clouds you've got on that one. I would be tempted to lighten the reflection a little bit, particularly the lower right area where it's darkest.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Lake Natoma

Wonderful shots. Like #1better.
Harsha

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:41 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #7 · Lake Natoma

Thanks for the feedback guys. I struggle a lot with WB, brightness/contrast and colors with my laptop. I feel like I'm playing the guessing game. I'm hoping to get a new desktop and decent IPS monitor soon.

I have a question regarding WB. For those that have shot in similiar situations (as #2) where it's getting quite dark with a red afterglow right after sunset. What is a typical range you set your WB? At first I had it at ~8000k. After I was done processing it looked way too blue/purple. I pushed it up quite a bit and now I feel it's too warm especially seen in the rocks. I know WB can be subjective depending on the scene and the look you're going for, but for this particular shot I'm having a really difficult time balancing it out.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:59 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Lake Natoma

First things, first. Are you working will a calibrated monitor?

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:17 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #9 · Lake Natoma

Sorry forgot to mention that. My laptop screen is not calibrated. I know stupid, hence why I'm planning on getting a new desktop/monitor and calibration tool since I'll also be doing some other stuff where color management is important as well.

Thanks for mentioning it

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:59 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password