Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

nle57
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

This reminds me of when I did my first few weddings back in the day with my old Canon 35 2.0 it did great, it did it's job, took great photos. But i always thought hey if I'm going to be a pro I should at least upgrade to the 35 1.4, so I spent a ton of money on it, and at the end, it ended up being heavier =) But I got that red band on my lens! True a good chunk of it is self centered. I am still a believer that it's "not the tools. It's the carpenter". Better tools just makes things a little easier.

May 04, 2013 at 09:04 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I don't think I've seen an answer from a business point of view. When I was a professional, my film camera bodies were fully depreciated and replaced every five years. Lens depreciated over ten years. I would think it would be prudent to fully depreciate a digital body in three years. It should be seen as a price of doing business and should be reflected as such in your business plan.

I think any photographer considering an upgrade out of the normal depreciation cycle should ask the question: "Will this change make me money? Will it do so by saving me time, improve my product and/or give me a competitive edge?"

May 06, 2013 at 03:52 PM
heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

nle57 said:
"not the tools. It's the carpenter".

as a traditional woodworker I would say that is only partly true. When you use a fine axe that leaves character-marks on the wood it will look a lot different than wood that has been sawn to shape. With a japanese hand-plane you get a surface finish far better than any electric tool...

with a 35/1.4 you get pictures no 35/2.0 can. Another question is of course if you need that... or the client.

I believe it depends on the style of the photographer. You could, theoretically, make pics like those from Fer Juaristi with a cheap camera-lens combo (he uses a 35/2.0). The look the lens provides is not cruical for his style. But take Josť Villa for example. I think his look depends a lot on the equipment used (film, mf and 80/2.0).

just a thought, may be wrong

heiko

May 07, 2013 at 07:26 AM
nle57
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I partially agree. Yes tools help a lot. But if the fundamentals are there you can statistically do somewhat of a decent job, moreso than the average bear. I used to shoot weddings with 10d bodies. Ideal? no. The buffer was slow, iso performance sucked. Sure I would have missed shots, but I had to be more patient and wait for the moments. Now if I used a 10d, some people may not notice nor care, but given the type of shoot, I can totally do it. I think newer tech is a nice to have. No flash allowed at a venue then jumps into 'must have' territory but I think the need to upgrade is driven by our needs to play with newer toys. And partially by the need to fill the perception of client that we're up to date and have excellent gear. But at the end of the day, so long as you can produce the work to your liking, no one cares but you. I think I can continue to shoot events with my 1dsii's and 1diii for many more years to come. So i guess it depends on what you shoot and if you think dropping cash on newer bodies will get you more clients. If all I shot was in dark churches, heck yeah I'm getting newer bodies =)

heikoM wrote:
nle57 said:
"not the tools. It's the carpenter".

as a traditional woodworker I would say that is only partly true. When you use a fine axe that leaves character-marks on the wood it will look a lot different than wood that has been sawn to shape. With a japanese hand-plane you get a surface finish far better than any electric tool...

with a 35/1.4 you get pictures no 35/2.0 can. Another question is of course if you need that... or the client.

I believe it depends on the style of the photographer. You could, theoretically, make pics like those from Fer Juaristi with
...Show more

May 09, 2013 at 04:04 PM
ktan7

p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

No, I don't feel force to upgrade gear. When I bought my gears, it is the best in the industry already. There is no need to upgrade it if it can do the work.

May 09, 2013 at 10:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password