Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

pette87
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

you didn't like my answer?

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

pette87 wrote:
you didn't like my answer?

You should quote so people know who you're talking to here.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM
warrenjrphotog
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

The key is learning to utilize the tools that you already have to the fullest. There will always be a better camera around the corner but if you think about it photographers shot weddings just fine with the 20D and 5Dclassics and I find using my 40D even it can pull off iso 3200 photos without much noise.

I see a lot of 60D/7D photos posted on forums where they used iso 6400/12800 and the noise is terrible not to mention it seems like camera manufacturers are more about marketing and designing their cameras around this concept of higher MP's = better and inflating the iso abilitys of a camera body even though it won't perform well at all at those high isos.

Perfect examples of this would be the T41, 60D, 7D which all suffer from high MP "softness" and terrible high iso performance.

In my opinion the older camera body's are still excellent and in the right hands can make amazing photos. Photography has everything to do with the photographer and their eye vs the equipment they use.

With fast primes as backup you can get away with pretty much using any camera body that you want.

Apr 11, 2013 at 05:13 AM
warrenjrphotog
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

The key is learning to utilize the tools that you already have to the fullest. There will always be a better camera around the corner but if you think about it photographers shot weddings just fine with the 20D and 5Dclassics and I find using my 40D even it can pull off iso 3200 photos without much noise.

I see a lot of 60D/7D photos posted on forums where they used iso 6400/12800 and the noise is terrible not to mention it seems like camera manufacturers are more about marketing and designing their cameras around this concept of higher MP's = better and inflating the iso abilitys of a camera body even though it won't perform well at all at those high isos.

Perfect examples of this would be the T41, 60D, 7D which all suffer from high MP "softness" and terrible high iso performance.

In my opinion the older camera body's are still excellent and in the right hands can make amazing photos. Photography has everything to do with the photographer and their eye vs the equipment they use.

With fast primes as backup you can get away with pretty much using any camera body that you want.

Apr 11, 2013 at 05:13 AM
pette87
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

pette87 wrote:
not exactly..almost a technical reason.
i feel that the 1600 iso of the 5dc are enough for an amateur use, not for me that i'm trying to step into this market. (so i don't think it's for competition..i don't have gigs right now)
i'm not working from 1 year to now so i have to try to find the 5dII also if the 5dIII is way better and it's the smartes investment to do right now.

this you didn't reply so i assume you didn't like my answer

Apr 11, 2013 at 09:20 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I love my old 1DsII but recently upgraded to the 5DIII for live-view. You know the story, old eyes, manual focus glass, Bah / Blaw / blaw... Sometimes it is want, not need... Never forced...

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:59 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

pette87 wrote:
not exactly..almost a technical reason.
i feel that the 1600 iso of the 5dc are enough for an amateur use, not for me that i'm trying to step into this market.

You say you are not upgrading for competitive reasons but then you say the 1600 ISO is ok for amateur use but not good enough for professional use now that you're trying to step into the market. But isn't that really for competitive reasons in that you feel 1600 maximum ISO is not going to look as good as your competitors who can shoot up to 6400 or even higher? So I'm saying that is sounds to me like you really are wanting to upgrade based upon pressure to successfully compete for jobs.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM
pette87
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I don't know what my competitors use..and i want to upgrade to try to evolve my style of shooting.
Also because sometimes i find myself in a situation where 1600 iso were low.

Apr 12, 2013 at 04:41 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

pette87 wrote:
i want to upgrade to try to evolve my style of shooting

I see. It's mostly for yourself then that you want to upgrade.

I was expecting more here would say they upgrade to keep up with the competition but so far not much of that. Maybe anyone who does upgrade to keep up would be too afraid to admit it.

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM
pette87
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

D. Diggler wrote:

I was expecting more here would say they upgrade to keep up with the competition but so far not much of that. Maybe anyone who does upgrade to keep up would be too afraid to admit it.

i want to upgrade also cause the 5dc's are quite old, and with little money i can take a batter body.
next time i'll upgrade will be with my other 5dc for a 5dIII...but for now i think i have to go with the II to replace one of my two 5dc

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ted nghiem

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I felt forced to upgrade to the 5D3 from the 5D2. Mostly because my 5D2 is close to saying its last goodbyes.

In all seriousness, new gear doesn't force me to have the "needs" to upgrade. I see always upgrading to the new camera body, next iphone as wasted money that I can use for things I really want- traveling.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

D. Diggler wrote:

When I upgraded to 5DIII's last year, I did it because I recognized that the advancements of the AF were invaluable to me for the way that I shoot/compose.

I'm not sure what the competition would have to do with the decision to upgrade. I don't think I've had a single client ask me what camera I use or how many megapixels the images have. For me it's purely a decision based upon the value add of the functional enhancements of the camera body/lens. I could see myself sticking with the 5D3s until they stop working or were no longer offered support by Canon.

Apr 14, 2013 at 07:58 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

dhp_sf wrote:
I'm not sure what the competition would have to do with the decision to upgrade.

Well, say your cameras have a lot of life in 'em yet but you're limited to shooting at 800 or 1600 ISO at the reception while your competitors are shooting at 6400. You don't think that would be a disadvantage if your and your competitors style is a lot of natural light photography?

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

D. Diggler wrote:
Well, say your cameras have a lot of life in 'em yet but you're limited to shooting at 800 or 1600 ISO at the reception while your competitors are shooting at 6400. You don't think that would be a disadvantage if your and your competitors style is a lot of natural light photography?

My 5D3s are very capable at shooting above 3200, but I don't see the need to in most cases. The lighting conditions I work in now are not really much more difficult than when I was using a 5Dc/5D2 combo. The thing that has helped me evolve in those situation has more to do with how I've learned to use my flash better rather than crank up the ISO higher for the most part.

I think that in my personal case, I only have the desire to upgrade when I feel like my work can strongly benefit from it--or there's the gear head part of me that just wants a new toy. It's never been about what my competition is using because frankly I have no idea what they are using.

The interesting thing though, is that the everyday consumer/amateur market is starting to learn more and more about cameras--maybe not the technical aspects, but they will at least consider a Rebel in a different field than a 5D2 or 3. So when they see you at a wedding with an older model they might raise an eyebrow--but then if you do your job well, and the images are awesome, then it doesn't really matter, either.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

dhp_sf wrote:
the everyday consumer/amateur market is starting to learn more and more about cameras ... when they see you at a wedding with an older model they might raise an eyebrow--but then if you do your job well, and the images are awesome, then it doesn't really matter

A photog in my market got a bad review on one of the brides' sites regarding quality of the delivered photos. It was noted in this review that the photog "had inadequate equipment". The reviewer didn't go into details about the gear but I do know that the photogs at this particular company only use pop-up flashes.

Apr 15, 2013 at 08:36 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

D. Diggler wrote:
A photog in my market got a bad review on one of the brides' sites regarding quality of the delivered photos. It was noted in this review that the photog "had inadequate equipment". The reviewer didn't go into details about the gear but I do know that the photogs at this particular company only use pop-up flashes.

Sounds like he didn't do a good job regardless of what he was using? Maybe it was an accurate statement?

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:15 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

dhp_sf wrote:
The interesting thing though, is that the everyday consumer/amateur market is starting to learn more and more about cameras--maybe not the technical aspects, but they will at least consider a Rebel in a different field than a 5D2 or 3. So when they see you at a wedding with an older model they might raise an eyebrow--but then if you do your job well, and the images are awesome, then it doesn't really matter, either.

I agree with all of your points except a couple of them. If a client see a professional with a Rebel I would bet that it doesn't matter to them at all. They realize they still don't know anything about photography. There is a huge difference between having a camera and making art with a camera and clients (who value good photography) know it. Cooking a great steak isn't easy just because you purchased it from the same market....clients seem to understand this too.

Most of them will not know an older model from a newer one. All they may see is "Rebel". It's all the same to them. Even if they know one is newer than the other they still don't quite understand the benefits of higher ISO, faster right speeds to memory cards, etc.

Upgrading gear for presentation sake is a matter of being a bit self-centered....Nobodies looking. We just think they are

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

cordellwillis wrote:
Upgrading gear for presentation sake is a matter of being a bit self-centered....Nobodies looking. We just think they are.

So I can peel the Leica sticker off my Rebel?

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

cordellwillis wrote:
I agree with all of your points except a couple of them. If a client see a professional with a Rebel I would bet that it doesn't matter to them at all. They realize they still don't know anything about photography. There is a huge difference between having a camera and making art with a camera and clients (who value good photography) know it. Cooking a great steak isn't easy just because you purchased it from the same market....clients seem to understand this too.

Most of them will not know an older model from a newer one. All they may see
...Show more

Of course--i'm not implying that clients are so knowledgable about camera equipment that they would make assumptions when you showed up with camera body A vs B. In fact I didn't even mention clients. They shouldn't even care since they've already booked you based on your work, etc (which is my initial point when first responding to the thread that a client has never cared to ask me what I shoot with, aside from a couple exceptions who happened to be photo enthusiasts).

I'm more responding to the environment of the wedding and that there are more and more guests who are consumers in the digital camera market that understand that there is an entry level camera and there are "professional grade" cameras and they are more likely to pass judgment. And I'm also not suggesting that this is a reason to upgrade either... just something I've noticed is all. A recent wedding I shot one of the bridesmaids was asking me how I liked the Spider holster system... random stuff like that. And I asked if she was a photographer and she said no--just an amateur who's curious. One of my brother's friends was super excited about getting a 5D mark 3 but then immediately said to me that he didn't expect to really know what to do with it yet.

If anything, the availability of such high end equipment at relatively affordable prices (for some) I think can actually make people realize how much more difficult it is to get great photographs than they thought. Much like when i've seen golf or bowling on tv, these pros make it look soooooo easy. But then if I try, no where close.

Apr 16, 2013 at 02:55 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

Every time I think about upgrading my gear (which isn't often, to be honest), I think of the fact that if I moved in the right circles, I could be shooting 10k weddings with a D3000. Once you can hold the camera steady, I think the audience you attract makes far more of a difference than the body in your hands.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password