Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

D. Diggler wrote:
I've always been in the camp that follows the oft-heard advice of, "skip a generation or two of cameras". So, for example, say you're shooting with the 50D now. You skip the 60D and your next camera upgrade would be the 70D or 80D.

Lately, I've started to question whether this "buying every other generation" is the best way to go. I'm not decided one way or the other on it at this point.

I don't really go by any standard 'oh it's been two generations, time to upgrade' - for me it comes down to a specific analysis of differences and the potential tangible benefits to be gained from an upgrade. Otherwise it's not really an upgrade, it's just spending money.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
mosier
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I bought a D4 back in September to replace my dying D3 and to work with my D3S. Sold the D4 and picked up another D3 in February. Walking out of the store with the D4 didn't feel right. For the majority of my available light work I prefer the D3 over the D3S/D4. When the shutter goes, I'll pay to replace it. I've never "backtracked" before on a camera, but as soon as I shot my first session with the new to me D3 balance was restored.

Mar 31, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #3 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

TTLKurtis wrote:
I don't really go by any standard 'oh it's been two generations, time to upgrade' - for me it comes down to a specific analysis of differences and the potential tangible benefits to be gained from an upgrade. Otherwise it's not really an upgrade, it's just spending money.

This. If there is no new significantly improved af system in the D900 or whatever it is I'll probably be skipping it.

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.3 #4 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I sold my newer 2005 pick-up truck for an older Subaru. Sometimes "upgrades" can be going backwards (2wd to AWD, big gas-guzzler to a turbo 4-cyl motor). Same with my photography gear. Almost bought the 16-35 f/4 VR. Ended up with a 17-35 f/2.8. Thought I wanted a D800. Instead I have two D700's and they are wonderful.

Apr 01, 2013 at 05:51 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

Thanks everyone for your participation!

My main cameras right now are older. Don't have liveview, which I don't really miss. One feature I wish I had sometimes is autofocus micro adjust; I have the 135L but it often doesn't seem that sharp.

Apr 02, 2013 at 07:11 AM
NYstyles
• •
p.3 #6 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
I sold my newer 2005 pick-up truck for an older Subaru. Sometimes "upgrades" can be going backwards (2wd to AWD, big gas-guzzler to a turbo 4-cyl motor). Same with my photography gear. Almost bought the 16-35 f/4 VR. Ended up with a 17-35 f/2.8. Thought I wanted a D800. Instead I have two D700's and they are wonderful.

I love my D700's too! I also loved, loved, loved my Subaru, I miss her! (had a WRX STI) I sold it starting my photography business, I wanted to dump the car payment for one I owned. Replaced that payment with a studio, I had to pick one at the time. I was such a hard choice as I LOVED that car so much and worked hard to get it... Also gas at the time was $5 a gallon for 93. Now I have a VW, its great because its paid for and good on gas! lol

Ok sorry a bit OT.

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:59 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

No.

I shoot with D700's as well.

Great wee cameras.

I do fancy doing a bit of video though... and dual slots would be a bonus.

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:32 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I recently upgraded my bodies. Did I feel "forced" to upgrade? Yes, but not because of the market or any competitive pressure to do so. I did it because I had 2 old 5Dc bodies that I purchased used in 2009 (meaning they were already 3 years old when I bought them). I upgraded one of them last year to the 5D3 and the replaced the other one just a few weeks ago. I did for piece of mind more than anything. While I never experienced problem with either body, I felt they had outlived their useful life for me.....at least from a professional reliability standpoint. Yes, I gained a lot in terms of new tech, which was a motivating factor but not the primary reason for the upgrade.

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:46 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

OK after shooting a few events this past week with the new D7100 and D600, 24 megapixel files are awesome. I think I finally found some cameras that I can keep for a very long time.

Apr 02, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.3 #10 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

NYstyles wrote:
I love my D700's too! I also loved, loved, loved my Subaru, I miss her! (had a WRX STI) I sold it starting my photography business, I wanted to dump the car payment for one I owned. Replaced that payment with a studio, I had to pick one at the time. I was such a hard choice as I LOVED that car so much and worked hard to get it... Also gas at the time was $5 a gallon for 93. Now I have a VW, its great because its paid for and good on gas! lol

Ok sorry a bit
...Show more

We can certainly be friends. Haha.

Yeah, I don't like having to run 91 all the time. It's cheap now, and still $4.29 a gallon. But at least you had access to 93. There's only one station around here that sells 93 and it's too pricey.

Sorry about your Scoob, but as a past VW guy, I can say, I love me some VW goodness!

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Normand1130

p.3 #11 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I have d5lll for a backup and 1dx as my main, that is my last investment and I am in heaven, ( at the moment)

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:57 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

paparazzinick wrote:
after shooting a few events this past week with the new D7100 and D600, 24 megapixel files are awesome. I think I finally found some cameras that I can keep for a very long time.

How's the auto-focus of the 600 at the reception? Using camera assist beam? Red flash assist lights?

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:13 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
I have a VW, its great because its paid for and good on gas!

Used to have a GTI. Sportiest car I've driven. Tight suspension. Very fun.

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:27 AM
storagesystmes

p.3 #14 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I think no its not.

Apr 04, 2013 at 06:01 AM
pette87
• •
p.3 #15 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

i'm feel forced now..i have 2 5dc..i will upgrade to the new mkIII, but i have no money so i have to upgrade to 1used 5dII

Apr 04, 2013 at 10:13 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

D. Diggler wrote:
How's the auto-focus of the 600 at the reception? Using camera assist beam? Red flash assist lights?

Compared to my D7000 it is good. Compared to the D3s, not so great. It is better than most cameras and will be fine if you use the Af reds. I dont use the on camera white beam. I find it ruins too many moments. People get scared when they see it. Usually red lights help

Now my D7100 is pretty bad ass in focusing. I am looking forward to this weekends wedding.

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:06 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

pette87 wrote:
i'm feel forced now..i have 2 5dc..i will upgrade to the new mkIII, but i have no money so i have to upgrade to 1used 5dII

Finally someone who admits to feeling forced. Could you tell us a little more about it? Is it pressure to compete for jobs that is making you feel forced?

Apr 05, 2013 at 01:55 AM
NYstyles
• •
p.3 #18 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

Prettym1k3 wrote:
We can certainly be friends. Haha.

Yeah, I don't like having to run 91 all the time. It's cheap now, and still $4.29 a gallon. But at least you had access to 93. There's only one station around here that sells 93 and it's too pricey.

Sorry about your Scoob, but as a past VW guy, I can say, I love me some VW goodness!

One day I'll have another Scoob! We have 93 at every gas station where I live.

Apr 05, 2013 at 05:08 AM
pette87
• •
p.3 #19 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

D. Diggler wrote:
Finally someone who admits to feeling forced. Could you tell us a little more about it? Is it pressure to compete for jobs that is making you feel forced?

not exactly..almost a technical reason.
i feel that the 1600 iso of the 5dc are enough for an amateur use, not for me that i'm trying to step into this market. (so i don't think it's for competition..i don't have gigs right now)
i'm not working from 1 year to now so i have to try to find the 5dII also if the 5dIII is way better and it's the smartes investment to do right now.

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:01 AM
pette87
• •
p.3 #20 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

but the 5dc it's a great camera btw

Apr 05, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password