Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

As an assistant on a shoot not too long ago, I got to briefly try out the autofocus system of the 5d3. I liked it, but it didn't feel faster at all than the 5d2. About the same speed, as a matter of fact, and sometimes it almost seemed a fraction slower to ABSOLUTELY lock...in moderate light, not dim and not bright.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:26 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

form wrote:
As an assistant on a shoot not too long ago, I got to briefly try out the autofocus system of the 5d3. I liked it, but it didn't feel faster at all than the 5d2. About the same speed, as a matter of fact, and sometimes it almost seemed a fraction slower to ABSOLUTELY lock...in moderate light, not dim and not bright.

Not to derail this thread but there is a LOT more to an af system than speed, nikon's af-d primes almost all focused faster than the newer af-s lenses but couldn't track well and missed more often. As I understand it the biggest criticism of the 5DmkII's af wasn't speed but accuracy for points other than the centre point.

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.2 #3 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

hanging in there with my 'OLD' 1Ds2's and 1D4 frames. For me the 1Ds2 was a quantum leap in imaging - finally a DSLR that could output the same 20x24 quality as my old Blads! No plans on upgrading frames... glass, however, is a different story... Ed K.

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:39 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #4 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

Mark_L wrote:
Not to derail this thread but there is a LOT more to an af system than speed, nikon's af-d primes almost all focused faster than the newer af-s lenses but couldn't track well and missed more often. As I understand it the biggest criticism of the 5DmkII's af wasn't speed but accuracy for points other than the centre point.

Agreed. It's much more accurate, especially with tracking. I've found that it locks quicker in low light than my Mark II, but that may depend on the lenses I'm using. I've moved away from the 35L and 50L and use the 24-70 II and have found that that lens focuses quickly. I always hated being embarrassed at receptions when somebody would ask for a photo and I couldn't get the Mark II to focus. I haven't had that issue with the Mark III/24-70 combo.

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:41 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

morby wrote:
Agreed. It's much more accurate, especially with tracking. I've found that it locks quicker in low light than my Mark II, but that may depend on the lenses I'm using. I've moved away from the 35L and 50L and use the 24-70 II and have found that that lens focuses quickly. I always hated being embarrassed at receptions when somebody would ask for a photo and I couldn't get the Mark II to focus. I haven't had that issue with the Mark III/24-70 combo.

That's when manual focus is your best friend.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:16 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #6 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

paparazzinick wrote:

Ha! I don't trust my manual focus skills unless I'm at f22!

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:33 PM
morby
• • •
p.2 #7 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

paparazzinick wrote:

morby
• • •
p.2 #8 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

paparazzinick wrote:

Ghost
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I upgrade only if the current gear is limiting me to deliver the photographic vision that I want.
I really squeezed the juice out of my old 5dc before deciding to upgrade. And that's because my style of shoot is towards faster and more dynamic images. Else I'd happily use this wonderful camera.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:38 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.2 #10 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I do see the need to upgrade the gears in every 2-3 years cycle in the digital era to stay in the front of the game.

The same thing for the photo shoot technique and post-processing.

The work of a top photographer 5 years ago might look average/outdated in today's standard, if he/she does not make progress.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

Scott Mosher wrote:
I'm debating whether to pick up another D700 so I'll have 2, or spend a little bit more and pick up a D600 to use as a backup

From what I hear, once people get the D600, they don't pick up the 700 much anymore. The 700 becomes the backup.

Mar 30, 2013 at 02:24 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I could shoot the rest of my life with a D3, which is already 6.5 years old. Good high ISO, good AF, good feel, dual cards. Done, that's all I need. Yes, I love my D3S even more, but with Nikon everything past the D3 is just gravy.

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:05 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

brett maxwell wrote:
I could shoot the rest of my life with a D3, which is already 6.5 years old. Good high ISO, good AF, good feel, dual cards. Done, that's all I need. Yes, I love my D3S even more, but with Nikon everything past the D3 is just gravy.

Yeah man. Actually I felt EXACTLY the same as you until I shot a really crappy low-light mixed-light session with a D3 and a D3S over each shoulder. The D3 was noticeably inferior to the D3S at 1600 and above. Now I'm rocking D3S bodies.

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:38 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

NYstyles wrote:
I'll use my D700 till its dies!

I notice the 5D hasn't held its used value anywhere near what the D700 has. Both 12 megapixels. Both came out about the same time. Both about equal in high ISO. Both around the same retail price when new.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:34 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

jasonhupe wrote:
I felt that way when I was still using my 5Dc's even though I had a MK II in my bag for low light just because I prefer the color and files in daylight. Shot one wedding where five guests had 5D MK II's. One guest (a photographer himself who shot in NYC with a 1D IV and 1DS III) asked me about my camera and I actually had to defend why I still used the classic for my main work. I agree with what has been said about reaching a standard with the MK II and D700.

This is why I put gaffers tape over all of my logo's on lenses and cameras. That way I dont have to deal with questions like that. I leave the Nikon logo there but model numbers get gaffered up. I once had a guest with their Nikon D3X come up to me when I was shooting a wedding with a D7000 and say that my images were going to suck because of my little shitty camera. I found the guy online later and his D3X images looked like they were shot with a shitty cell phone camera, the kind of pre smart phone kind of camera. Then poorly edited looking like cartoonish.

Mar 30, 2013 at 01:40 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

I find this mindset baffling. Why do things because you have to? What if I want to shoot f/5.6 at 1/200th in extremely low light capturing available light? I'll argue the 5D classic set the standard, the 5D2 may have bumped it up but it is a very flawed camera for a several year later update. The 5D3 is better than both the 5D and 5D2 combined in my opinion. It is not perfect but it has taken the cap off limiting what I want to do rather than having gear that is limiting.

So count me in as someone who needs and wants ISO 25,600. Because I decide if I want to use flash and refuse to succumb to it just wasn't meant to be.

swoop wrote:
I think the D700 and 5D mk2 have set the standard. They're basically the digital equivalent of a film camera. The quality of which should last you for years. Anyone upgrading is likely doing it in search of features like autofocus or frames per second.

No one needs ISO 25,000. Call me old school but if you can't get a shot at ISO 3200 with an f1.4 lens you either turn on the flash or it just wasn't meant to be.

Mar 30, 2013 at 02:20 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

morby wrote:

I used to not trust my eyes either. A little practice and I prefer to shoot manual a lot now.

Mar 30, 2013 at 02:33 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #18 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

D. Diggler wrote:
I notice the 5D hasn't held its used value anywhere near what the D700 has. Both 12 megapixels. Both came out about the same time. Both about equal in high ISO. Both around the same retail price when new.

Psst.... the 5d came out in 2005 when Nikon was claiming full-frame is not needed. DX is where it's at. 2-3 years later the 5d inspired 12mp D700 came out.

Mar 30, 2013 at 06:21 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

TTLKurtis wrote:
I'm pretty dang happy with the quality I get out of my D3S bodies. The D4 isn't the least bit tempting to me and I suspect I will not upgrade bodies anytime soon. Maybe the D5/D6

I've always been in the camp that follows the oft-heard advice of, "skip a generation or two of cameras". So, for example, say you're shooting with the 50D now. You skip the 60D and your next camera upgrade would be the 70D or 80D.

Lately, I've started to question whether this "buying every other generation" is the best way to go. I'm not decided one way or the other on it at this point.

Mar 30, 2013 at 07:32 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.2 #20 · Do you feel "forced" to upgrade gear?

D. Diggler wrote:
The other guy replied:

"in digital era, the fast advancing technology is actually "forcing" us [to] upgrade if we want to stay competitive, more so for working pros while in the old film days there was a lot less demanding in gears.

Only if your customers are requiring that you use specific equipment as a pre-qualification of hiring you. We all know that customers (most of them, anyway) don't know or care what gear you use to get the shot.

imagine two wedding working pro shooting in the same dark church one with [year 2001] D1X and one with [year 2012] D4, both is claimed to be the best for its time, even with the same skill set, which one would likely to pull off a better image to make his/her customer happier, and that is our driving force for upgrade."

That's a different question and only applicable if you are comparing two specific cameras against each other. It doesn't mean that you need to upgrade if you are still getting the shots that your customers are expecting. It's upgrade compulsion, and keeping up with the Jones'.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password