Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Warning May Cause Nausea!

ednotfred
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Warning May Cause Nausea!

pjbishop,
Yes, the innards are working fine.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM
tuantran
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Warning May Cause Nausea!

Please don't mention anything about filter any more. It might offend those who are against filter. I would definitely send it in because the focusing might be off or IS assembly not working correctly. You can do these tests yourself of course and see if everything is still sharp. A long time ago, I was in an accident with my 1D in the trunk. It seems fine at the moment but a couple of thousand shots later, the mirror assembly stopped working in the middle of a tennis match between Maria Sharapova and someone else. I was bummed.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Warning May Cause Nausea!

Good for you!! Much cheaper replacing the filter than the whole filter thread assembly of the lens.

While shooting, I generally use a hood (and often a filter too). But it seems to me that mounting and unmounting the hood adds a "fumble factor", increasing my chance of dropping the lens when the hood is not secure. Changing lenses is even more likely to drop a lens. I've never dropped one, but I have nightmares about it.

I have never had a problem with a lens that was mounted to the camera that a filter wouldn't control (usually fingerprints or some liquid droplets).

Apr 16, 2013 at 07:52 PM
ednotfred
• •
p.2 #4 · Warning May Cause Nausea!

This lens went to Canon today for a clean, cal. and check. Should come back in about 6 weeks.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

glort
• • •
p.2 #5 · Warning May Cause Nausea!

ednotfred wrote:
It still works. Supposed to shoot tonight at a hockey game, but I don't know. Could be risky without the filter protecting the glass.

None of my lenses have filters and the lens caps are still in the boxes with the packing crap I left in there when I took the lenses out.
In over 20 Years I have yet to scratch or mark a lens yet.
I also wipe them with my shirt after blowing any dust off. Never had an issue with that either.

I use a suitcase type camera bag without dividers and everything gets piled in there. I am careful with the case and don't throw it around or do stupid things but I just don't stress over equipment.

No doubt this will have all the pedantics in fits, but if I had problems, I would rethink what I do. As I have yet to mark or damage anything yet, there's' little reason to change my strategy now. I usually put the lenses in the bag front up but other than that, I don't baby anything.

Seems to me lenses are a lot tougher than people think.
In any event, if a front element gets marked, you just get it replaced.
Not like you have to throw the whole thing away.

May 02, 2013 at 09:24 AM
Lunchb0x8
• •
p.2 #6 · Warning May Cause Nausea!

Wow glort, you are braver than I.

I agree, Lenses are pretty tough, but I am just picky over how I handle my investment.

ednotfred, I hope your lens comes back soon and in perfect condition!

May 03, 2013 at 12:04 AM
ednotfred
• •
p.2 #7 · Warning May Cause Nausea!

Hmmmm, the 70-200 came back from Canon last week. The quote given to me was $357.
My dealer said Canon stated that the lens required no parts, they said it was fine, Checked, cleaned, and calibrated for $25.
The 1DIII went in as well, as I had just purchased it. "Checked & cleaned, calibrated, firmware updated, meets canon standards." $325.
Feels great to have them both back.

Jun 13, 2013 at 02:15 AM
joezasada
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Warning May Cause Nausea!

I've removed damaged filters many times.

first, remove any remaining filter glass carefully as to not scratch the lens element underneath.

next, use a pair of pliers to bend or break the part of the filter ring that protrudes ahead of the lens filter threads

finally, use a precision screwdriver to bend the remining filter's threaded portion away from the lens; once you do that the rest of the filter should come out easily.

this is easiest to do with brass filters, other metals won't be as malleable but it can still be done.

make sure you closely inspect the lens; if the filter threads are bent this can usually be repaired at the manufacturer's repair facilities. drops and bangs can misalign elements or autofocus; thouroughly test the focus and autofocusing of the lens (at all focal lengths if it is a zoom) - if you detect anything bad then you may need to send the lens in for repair (note exactly what is wrong so the repair tech can know where to start).

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:04 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password