Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

pdt0102

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

Just wondering how many of you take soft color/glowing with your camera or you do that in the post processing. If you do with the camera, what is your setup? Thanks!

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:46 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

You mean that hazy look to photos that went out of style 20 years ago? That's all done in post processing. I don't know of any pro or semi-pro camera these days which does something like that in-camera.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

You can either get a soft focus lens, add a soft filter, or add vaseline to front of the lens. That's about the only way to do it in camera. Doing it in post is a lot easier.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

Never ever put Vaseline on a lens. I did that once years ago in photography school. I think the lens is still gooey.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:38 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

You can also achieve this look with a Soft Focus lens (135sf) or a nikon DC lens. Even some of the older lens designs like the helios 40-2 (not the 44-2) give some spectacularly weird/dreamy rendering.

I would never consider them for a wedding though.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:17 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

Photoshop.

[/end thread]

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:40 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

Yep, always save this for post-processing; that way you can always 'undo' it if you don't like it

(same for B&W, you have a lot more control if you do it in post)

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:54 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

thought that stuff died in the '90's?

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:19 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

pdt0102 wrote:
Just wondering how many of you take soft color/glowing with your camera or you do that in the post processing. If you do with the camera, what is your setup?

I don't think it would be wrong of you to try some of this with wedding photography or portraiture if you wanted to. If you're talking about a soft-focus look, you could take advantage of lenses that have what's called spherical aberration. With these lenses, the image can actually be sharp but it appears that there is a haze over the image. Also with spherical aberration, light sources can develop halos around them. This is referred to as halation. On the Canon side, the 50/1.4, when shot in the area of 1.4 and 1.6, has a fair degree of haze. On the Nikon side, I can think of the manual-focus 50mm 1.2, which is still sold new. If you don't mind used, Nikon has a 55mm 1.2 that I believe has even more haze to it. These Nikkors, too, need to be shot near wide open to bring out the soft focus.

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:39 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

I find that the best way to make pictures glow like that is to set fire to them.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

He's still doing this with the amazing result (not wedding stuff thought):

http://www.keithcarterphotographs.com/

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:00 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

I shot with a guy who used to use vasaline... the pictures were so crappy but it was amazing that he actually had the cajones to put that stuff on his lens..

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:01 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

Easy to dump on this, but everyone has their style. I'm pretty sure it was on the Kelby Training website, or maybe his mag (this month features weddings) that one of the top photogs said he adds the glow effect to most of his wedding pictures. \

I just think it's so easy to categorically dump on things in a forum when in reality sometimes what an OP might be talking about is not even congruent to what you're thinking about. But the bottom line is that we all have to find our thing and attract clients who like that. If we only did what the collective group on a forum said was currently in style, we'd all be shooting the same way and that would be pretty boring.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:27 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

#1...supposed to use the vaseline on a filter in front of the lens...#2...lace/sheer fabrics also work as long as they're taut and have a consistent pattern.

Edited on Mar 29, 2013 at 04:42 PM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:28 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

D. Diggler wrote:
I don't think it would be wrong of you to try some of this with wedding photography or portraiture if you wanted to. If you're talking about a soft-focus look, you could take advantage of lenses that have what's called spherical aberration. With these lenses, the image can actually be sharp but it appears that there is a haze over the image. Also with spherical aberration, light sources can develop halos around them. This is referred to as halation. On the Canon side, the 50/1.4, when shot in the area of 1.4 and 1.6, has a fair degree of
...Show more

years ago, i found canon fifty-nifty in a pile of construction trash (we're doing old electronics store demolition in the Bronx) so, it was all covered with the dust inside and out (probably sitting there a few years too). Anyway, being greedy person I, spray blow the dust from outside with plenty still sitting inside. Today, this is my soft focus lens. With a reverse ring on it - it also emergency macro lens.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:29 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

form wrote:
#1...supposed to use the vaseline on a filter in front of the lens...#2...lace/sheer fabrics also work as long as they're taut and have a consistent pattern.

Yep, Jerry Ghionis likes to put lace or the veil in front of his lens for just that effect... but he hasn't won the WPPI Album of the Year since last year, so it's out of style.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

still using an old Nikon soft focus filter (#2 ) held in front of lens for
backlit B&G 1st.dance shots @ receptions - kinda (no, really) old school - but ALWAYS goes as large image in the albums... Could never find an easier, or better way to do this in PP. Ed K.

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:52 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

You can buy dedicated soft-focus lenses. You can buy dedicated filters. You can buy dedicated software.

The end result will always result in projectile vomiting.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:08 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

ricardovaste wrote:
You can buy dedicated soft-focus lenses. You can buy dedicated filters. You can buy dedicated software.

The end result will always result in projectile vomiting.

If done right it is crazy awesome. The problem is most people dont know how to use it effectively.

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:50 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Soft Glowing Wedding Pictures

CMB Photo wrote:
He's still doing this with the amazing result
http://www.keithcarterphotographs.com/

That's some good stuff right there, CMB! Lots of soft focus used to good effect. That's why I told the original poster don't be afraid to experiment if the urge strikes him.

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password