Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

dpbingham
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

I've read that Lee filters are the way to go in terms of quality. However, they are expensive and have very long queues (wait time) to get them. Are there any alternative Grad filters out there that are acceptable for UWA landscape photography? I have a hard time believing that none of the filter makers have a viable alternative.

Thoughts?

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:08 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

you can get Singh-Ray or on the non-stratospherically priced end, Hitech/Formatt.

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:43 PM
mick5

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

I would say save some and buy Lee you won't regret rather buy some other stuff but back in your head lee will be there so why not buy the one you really want.
Keep looking on eBay I bought mine foundation kit and 77 mm ring and 3 soft grand filters for 230 they were almost new.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:05 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #4 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

I have used Hi tech a little and prefer the Lee or Singh Ray. Some of the other leave an undesirable color effect when you use them.
If you can afford them, get the best, if not don't afraid to experiment with the less expensive ones. One of my HiTech 4x6 units leaves a reddish pink tint which works great to warm up sunsets. Not so good in other uses though.

Mar 31, 2013 at 05:08 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

No ND is truly ND, particularly when you get to the darker filters. If you are not already into particular system then it is not as important. Despite what others will tell you, Hitech is perfectly fine with the minor downside of their 100mm GNDs being a bit on the short side. At the present time I have a few SRs, a few Lee, and a few Hitechs. All do the job and I have bought each not because of brand snobbery but because they were in some way not available from another supplier.

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:27 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

Save the $ and go with Lee. They occasionally come up on Buy & Sell.

Apr 06, 2013 at 07:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

danb121
• •
p.1 #7 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

Look at a UK website dalephotographic, I was lucky enough to get a big stopper along with a 0.6 and 0.9 hard grad at the end of Feb

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Copypaste
• •
p.1 #8 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

I'd recommend Lee. Incredibly happy with mine. Great quality and super easy to use.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM
VicODT

p.1 #9 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

I understand the Lee Big Stopper are great filters, but what about their holder? Does anyone recommend it or another brand instead?

Mar 19, 2014 at 02:33 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #10 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

For GND, Lee are the choice and much less expensive than Singh Ray. Hitech have a magenta color cast which is very noticeable on their stronger (3 stop or greater) GND and ND. Correcting the magenta cast is can be difficult. another choice I know little about on Amazon is Haida.

If you are wondering why Lee filters are always in short supply, view this video and you can see how the GNDs are literally hand made and calibrated. I guess they are fine with lower volume output, it keeps the price higher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMu_m203YaY

Mike K

Mar 19, 2014 at 07:43 PM
Achim Sieger

p.1 #11 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

If you look for quality and most neutral colors than spend some extra $ and buy Lee ND Grad filters.
If you don't care about magenta color cast and scratch resistance go for the Formatt Hitech.

You should be aware that there is no color neutral reverse GND on the market. Even the quite expensive Singh-Ray leads to a magenta color cast. Especially when you stack two of these.

There is now an alternative ND 3.0 / 10 stop filter on the market that beats the Lee big stopper in terms of color neutrality and price. It's the new 4x4" Haida ND 3.0 Glass filter.
Read my review here:
http://www.achim-sieger.de/en/nd-filter-review-lee-big-stopper-formatt-hitech-prostop-irnd-haida/

Haida Filters are also available in 6x6". Best ND Filters i've ever used. Highly recommended!

Cheers
Achim

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM
phlegmon
• •
p.1 #12 · ND Grad Filters - spend extra $$ and wait for Lee filters?

Has anyone here used the B&W ND3.0 / 10 stop filter? I am debating getting one in 77 mm versus switching to a Lee system (already have the 3-stop and 6-stop B&W).

I mainly use the Nikon 16-35 lens but recently picked up the Samyang 14.

Mar 24, 2014 at 06:37 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password