Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question about film scanning.....

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about film scanning.....

So i just spoke to a local lab, asking about film processing/scanning.....they asked if i wanted 4mb, 18mb, or 60mb scans.....i asked well what's the resolution (file dimensions) for each of those files?? She's like "well they're all at 300dpi"....i'm like "oookkkkaaayyyyy, so how do you get different 4mb, 18mb, or 60mb files if they're all scanned at 300 dpi?? " She's like "there are a lot of variables that go in to it, that unless you've gone to school for this, you wouldn't understand"..... she may not have understood what i was asking.....i just dont see how if you scan 35mm film at 300dpi, and end up with 423x282 file, and end up with a 60mb file....i'm PRETTTTTTY sure there's not some voodoo magic i'm missing, so someone please explain to me what this girl is talking about.....

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:24 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about film scanning.....

Simple, she doesn't know what she's talking about.

<Chas>

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:32 PM
papageno
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about film scanning.....

+2

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:34 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about film scanning.....

So did you end up explaining to her the situation, and if so, what was your outcome in the end?

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about film scanning.....

They're not scanned at 300 dpi. The output file may be set at that and the image dimensions will be sized accordingly.

Normally one scans 35mm film at 1200 dpi / 2400 dpi / 4800 dpi / 9600 dpi...... With each increase in scanning density you will end up with a file size increase of about 4x.

Depending on the scanner used, you should end up with a tiff file or manufacturer's raw file (e.g. Nikon).

You might try one slide (or a couple) at different file sizes (in their terms) and see what works for you. I've been happy with 2400 dpi. If you're enlarging or doing pro PP, you might want more. The higher densities also tend to bring out the film grain more.

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:42 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about film scanning.....

Bernie wrote:
They're not scanned at 300 dpi. The output file may be set at that and the image dimensions will be sized accordingly.

ok, i think this is where she was getting hung up....i called her back and she was like "the file for an 18mb scan can be blown up to 16x20....so i'm guessing they're 4800 on the short side, that would be 16" at 300dpi.....and would equate to (basically) a 4800dpi scan....

so there ya go....i had a feeling that's what she was trying to get at......see it's so complicated, b/c i never went to school for this stuff....

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:57 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about film scanning.....

i found this for those of us that need understanding DPI, hope it helps! I'm not trying to be a git, i really have little clue, so i decided to aid others and pass on searches i have came across.

http://proshooter.com/article_whatisa300dpiJPeg.htm

http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/archives/2006/07/what-the-heck-does-300-dpi-really-mean.html

http://susanwiggs.wordpress.com/2007/09/06/we-need-a-300dpi-photo/

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:00 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about film scanning.....

What she's not explaining and probably doesn't know is that most scanning software allows you to input an output size in addition to the resolution. All she was giving you is the resolution, which is meaningless without the context of the output image size. 300 dpi at 4x6 inches is a lot different than 300 dpi at 16x24 inches but they're both 300 dpi. What you really need to know is the scanner's native hardware resolution being used and how many pixels in either direction are being recorded. Unfortunately, she's all too typical of lab employees and is doing a disservice to her employers.

Mar 28, 2013 at 06:22 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password