Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photoshop will not open DNG files

Mr645
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Photoshop will not open DNG files

I have a little over 100 DNG files that I made using Photoshop CS5 from NEF files out of a D800. I did this so I could edit he capture time in LR 3 to match other cameras used at the event. Everything was fine until I saved the EXIF data with the corrected capture time and not there are 117 DNG files that CS5 or LR will not see or open. It says that Photoshop does not recognize this type of file. The files sizes are still correct, and Apple Preview can open the DNG file, as does Graphic Converter.

I converted 288 D800 NEF files to DNG and 117 of then are not opening in Adobe software. Anyone have any idea to correct this?

Thanks,
Jon

Mar 28, 2013 at 05:09 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #2 · Photoshop will not open DNG files

I'd suggest using a utility like ExifTool to write the capture time changes directly to your NEF files. Here's the link to ExifTool: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool

Also, scroll down the page and read the explanation of the Date/Time Shift Feature
Get the time issue sorted out before even importing/converting to DNG; I've found that Lightroom does some screwy things when used to modify Capture Time as detailed here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1144030/0#10928615

As usual, its advisable to test the functionality on COPIES of your NEF files before committing any permanent changes to your original files.

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #3 · Photoshop will not open DNG files

From what I can tell, LR failed to write new EXIF data to all of the files. I had to convert the D800 files to DNG because I am using LR 3 that normally will not see the D800 NEFs. I do most of my editing and sorting with Bridge and ACR, but those tools cannot alter capture time.

I ended up using Graphics Converter to make jpegs from the DNG files, and then once shown to the client, went back to the cards and the original NEF files.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:33 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password