Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

Eiremon
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_309850_-1

Just picked mine up ($2525 with tax) after missing out yesterday. 15% off sale still on through 3/30. Good luck!

Edited on Mar 28, 2013 at 03:53 PM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:21 PM
yinlij

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

Ah... still over 2000+ is too much for me for a camera body.

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:24 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

Still expensive for this model for what it offers.....but yes, more in line now compared to other models out there. Price will continue to drop.

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:24 PM
Eiremon
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

A legit new one costs close to $3k so this seems like a good deal. They have been selling like hot cakes during this promo which speaks to the demand / value.

- Speaking of demand - they are now out of stock again

Mar 28, 2013 at 03:37 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

Eiremon wrote:
A legit new one costs close to $3k so this seems like a good deal. They have been selling like hot cakes during this promo which speaks to the demand / value.

- Speaking of demand - they are now out of stock again

Assuming that this camera model has no major faults (and it seems to be okay fortunately), Canon does this promotion/refurbished offerings because this camera is not selling well at the Canon-given price tag of about $3K.

Mar 28, 2013 at 04:49 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

retrofocus wrote:
Canon does this promotion/refurbished offerings because this camera is not selling well at the Canon-given price tag of about $3K.

Canon refurbs are typically returned cameras or demo models. They are not related to how well a new one sells, I'm wondering you came up with that idea? They have refurbs of all their popular bodies and lenses.

Nikon has a refurb store as well with the D800 and D800E at low prices. Maybe Nikon cameras do not sell either?

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

scalesusa wrote:
Canon refurbs are typically returned cameras or demo models. They are not related to how well a new one sells, I'm wondering you came up with that idea? They have refurbs of all their popular bodies and lenses.

Nikon has a refurb store as well with the D800 and D800E at low prices. Maybe Nikon cameras do not sell either?

I think the whole photo market is down for a while which affects both Nikon and Canon (and other brands, of course) - you can see from the last year results of both companies, that both suffered severe losses in the photo market areas.

Your first point I disagree with - I bought also a refurbished 5D II from Canon last year, and it was a brand new camera, never used or returned, just re-packaged in a refurbished box. When Canon released the 5D MkII camera a couple years back, there was no such refurbished deal with this amount of cameras available for a long time until the 5D III was later available. Reason is that the 5D II sold well for many years after its release - no surprise for a formerly unique FF camera where Canon was leading the field. Also its price was more reasonable after introduction for $2900 (it came down later of course but not as rapid in its "practical" price tag as with the current MkIII). In no way all those refurbished cameras are demo models or returns! We would have seen the same thing otherwise with the 5D MkII also. The refurbished deals are directly linked how well the new model sells (and I agree, Nikon has the same problem with its higher end D800) or if excess of stock for older camera models has to be emptied for a newer model. To make it clear, I don't believe that this has anything to do with the camera performance/specifications itself - it is just that there are less people currently willing to spend $2800 or more on a camera body.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

retrofocus wrote:
I think the whole photo market is down for a while which affects both Nikon and Canon (and other brands, of course) - you can see from the last year results of both companies, that both suffered severe losses in the photo market areas.

Your first point I disagree with - I bought also a refurbished 5D II from Canon last year, and it was a brand new camera, never used or returned, just re-packaged in a refurbished box. When Canon released the 5D MkII camera a couple years back, there was no such refurbished deal with this amount of
...Show more

More talk with no facts to back any of it up. Best to spend less time worrying about coming up with theories of why the mkIII 'isn't' selling and move on to more important topics.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:54 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

move on to more important topics.

If the people who typically post here took that approach, the entire forum would shut down due to lack of activity!

John

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

jctriguy wrote:
More talk with no facts to back any of it up. Best to spend less time worrying about coming up with theories of why the mkIII 'isn't' selling and move on to more important topics.

Fact is that the MkIII is selling well - currently as "refurbished" model with taxes below $2600. Sorry that you don't like this and the reasons as mentioned above, but I am not surprised.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Eiremon
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

I went ahead and got one as they came back into inventory yesterday. The demand I was referring to was for the refurb @ $2400 - not a new one. I would not buy one for $2900+ as it is just outside my own comfort level.

Assuming it's not a lemon - I think it's good value for a great camera. Now I just need to a) sell some unused gear to balance the transaction and b) get out and shoot

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:59 PM
jbryer
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

Just got mine today and shutter count was only 227. Great deal if you can get it.

Apr 02, 2013 at 11:59 PM
greggn
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

> When Canon released the 5D MkII camera a couple years back, there was no such refurbished deal with this amount of cameras available for a long time until the 5D III was later available.

Not true. I purchased a refurb 5DII from Canon 2.5 years ago ... during a period of strong sales for the MkII and well before the release of the Mk III.

Apr 03, 2013 at 01:00 AM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

greggn wrote:
> When Canon released the 5D MkII camera a couple years back, there was no such refurbished deal with this amount of cameras available for a long time until the 5D III was later available.

Not true. I purchased a refurb 5DII from Canon 2.5 years ago ... during a period of strong sales for the MkII and well before the release of the Mk III.

Yes, I said "such refurbished deal" meaning that plenty refurbished MkIII bodies are available now for a while. In the past refurbished sales of the MkII happened occasionally but by far not in such amount before the MkIII was released.

Apr 03, 2013 at 02:52 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

scalesusa wrote:

If your point were true, then there must be quite a few returns/demos on 5D IIIs for Canon to be able to continue with such long sustained supply of refurbished.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:55 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

Well, the refurb price has been revised back up to the original $2799.00, but it's still out of stock. That price is not such a great deal when you factor in sales tax and are willing to wait for something like a Samy's No Sales Tax sale.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:58 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

The bottom line is that Canon is not selling much these days or should I say for the past couple of years. Just look at the long winded and back to back "Canon Rebate" promotions that we have seen over the course of the last year or two.

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:01 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D Mark III - Refurb - (Not) In Stock $2,379.33

arnold1 wrote:
The bottom line is that Canon is not selling much these days or should I say for the past couple of years. Just look at the long winded and back to back "Canon Rebate" promotions that we have seen over the course of the last year or two.

Post some sales figures to back up those claims. You have no idea what the 'bottom line' is. Canon is selling like hotcakes on Amazon, assuming their public sales ranks are accurate.

Apr 03, 2013 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password